1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

to restore or not to restore

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:35 AM
woodyf1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to restore or not to restore

how s it goin eh I am having a tough time deciding to restore my 52 f1 or to modify it with a explorer frame swap any insights would be appreciated

Old 09-27-2008, 05:16 AM
james G. phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It used to be that you could get more of your money back on these old trucks if you modified them with late model stuff rather than restored them if you ever had to sell it. These days I don't think thats the case. I chose to take a middle tact on my 53. I've installed lowered springs, two carb manifold, headers etc. but I saved all the old parts.In other word I didn't make any modifications that couldn"t be unbolted and the stock part put back on if the next owner so wanted.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:00 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you.

Second, whether it's kept original or modified is entirely a personal decision. Do what you want. UNLESS your nickname of WoodyF1 means that your truck IS a woody F-1. In which case you'd be insane (IMHO) to alter it.

Probably your name is Woody, right? Here's a pic of the Campbell bodied woodie/woody product line just in case.

Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2008, 06:11 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There is nothing like a original old car or truck, But your decision needs to be based on what your plans are for use. If your using the truck close to home, attending local cruise nights ect. old / vintage is way cool, nothing looks better. but if you want to drive the truck across the state or country you need reliability,durability ands safety, updating is what you may want.

Rick

Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by woodyf1
how s it goin eh I am having a tough time deciding to restore my 52 f1 or to modify it with a explorer frame swap any insights would be appreciated
There is a lot of middle ground between restoration and a frame swap. There are many mods you can do to improve the truck's ride and handling, brakes, and performance without resorting to a frame swap. Welcome to the forum....

Old 09-27-2008, 07:56 AM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I'm done, my 53 will be 95% stock. About the only thing changed is going to be engine, (I'm keepiing the original Flattie, but am putting a mild cam, full flow oil, and we put a merc crank in it with headers) and possibly a new rear end as the stock gear won't be good for driving on the highway to get to town for the car show.
However, you WILL hear from the Darkside, I'm sure.

WELCOME to the BEST tuck site on the internet.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:23 AM
erinaldi
Senior User
Howdy- Been there with my '55. I've finally decided to "rebuild" with some modifications - new front modified springs, engine swap (rebuilt IL6) and sway bars - for now. I'll continue to make minor modifications until I pass the truck on to my son - then he can go big-time if he wants. Also, I 've decided there is light at the end of the financial tunnel with rebuilding - I can afford it - customizing for me would be just too much.
Welcome to the forum - these guys are generous with their knowledge!

erinaldi

Old 09-27-2008, 09:04 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Oh, Stu, you had to do it again....I really want one of those Campbells!

Welcome to the board, Woodyf1. If you can get it running, I'd do that first. Then if you can get it to roll, I'd do that too. Being able to drive it up and down the driveway atleast, will get the juices flowing to want to finish this project when those times of frustration set in. Some point along the way before rebuilding, the truck will tell you what it wants to be. Listen to it, and then come up with a plan, and take it in stages, and have patience. Without seeing the condition of the '52, I can only guess. My rule of thumb is, if it's in good condition and complete, a restoration is a better bet, if it's rusted pretty bad, the engine is missing and the rear is froze up, I'd say rod it. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2008, 11:52 PM
woodyf1
Senior User
thanks for all the info sorry ive been out workin on the f1 built a 302 for it pulled the interior out of a jag console and all I am building a 52 f1 with a complete wood box built of quarter sawn white oak and jatoba the floor will likely be wenge and cocobolo the tailgate and sides are almost complete thats why its called woody as if ford had built a woody f1 however I have spent most of this summer rebuilding the floor and all cab corners looks good know thanks to my dad I was debating restoreing however i decided to hot rod it because i want to do road trips with it I am thinking of doing the doors in typical wood fashion whats your opinion I can do lots with wood I have an entire woodworkin shop the LORD JESUS CHIST has blessed me with the fenders are almost complete and paint is around the corner looks like I kept ahead of winter for know thanks for all the replys awesome group of guys