6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Powerstrokehelp.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstrokehelp.com

Anybody else find this website? I've been watching all the video's and learning a ton. What's everybody think of this guy and his opinions?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:01 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
I have links to all his videos in the spreadsheets I am offering to anyone that wants them. I have noticed a few errors in the videos, but in general they are good.

The errors I have noticed:

1. In one video he states to use Mercon V - You MUST ONLY use Mercon SP.

2. In another video, he states that bypass oil filtration can significantly extend "Oil Change Intervals". Due to viscosity shearing of the oil from the HPOP system, very few oils can go past 5000 miles and still be in the 40 wt viscosity range. They get low in the 30 wt range past 7500 miles.

3. He also talks about adding an oil additive - "Prolong". I personally would not recommend using the stuff just because oil additives in general cause more problems than they solve. The only exception to this that I have read about is Hot Shot's Secret (which is not added to extend engine life - it is added for injector stiction).

Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
FTX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rob.D
Anybody else find this website? I've been watching all the video's and learning a ton. What's everybody think of this guy and his opinions?
One of the best sources of real "straight talk" info on the 6.0 Powerstroke that can be found.. plus Bill is very willing to help. I sent a couple of e-mails to him asking some questions and he responded very quickly with accurate and helpful info. ... AND he even knew my 05 was still under warranty and that it will be a while before he will see any real service business from me.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Enough Already
Freshman User
Hey Mark - can I get a copy of your spreadsheet?

mphiggins@bellsouth.net

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bismic
I have links to all his videos in the spreadsheets I am offering to anyone that wants them. I have noticed a few errors in the videos, but in general they are good.

The errors I have noticed:

1. In one video he states to use Mercon V - You MUST ONLY use Mercon SP.

2. In another video, he states that bypass oil filtration can significantly extend "Oil Change Intervals". Due to viscosity shearing of the oil from the HPOP system, very few oils can go past 5000 miles and still be in the 40 wt viscosity range. They get low in the 30 wt range past 7500 miles.

3. He also talks about adding an oil additive - "Prolong". I personally would not recommend using the stuff just because oil additives in general cause more problems than they solve. The only exception to this that I have read about is Hot Shot's Secret (which is not added to extend engine life - it is added for injector stiction).
Yeah another thing is that he says that you HAVE to use CJ-4 rated oil. The engine only requires CI-4+, however pretty much everyone is rated at CJ-4 now.

Some of his videos are pretty funny when he's talking all professional and then says something like "damn that thing's on there tigther than dog shi*" lol.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
...3. He also talks about adding an oil additive - "Prolong". ....
you know, I've found that stuff to wake up my turbo on my 7.3 and it only had around 20k mi when I added it to the crankcase.
It was a very noticeable increase the first day. Too bad it took more than one li'l bitty bottle.
I'm thinking of adding it to my 6.0 after a bit but don't see it readily on the shelf.
And honestly guys, I am not one to believe in snake oil or oil additives either.

cheers.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:00 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
It is good to hear personal stories on "Prolong" - and the way Bill endorses it, I'm sure it is good stuff for the proper application. However, I know I am not telling anyone anything new when I say that the 7.3's and the 6.0's are definitely different engines and what works well on one may not work well on the other. I would want to hear a "lot" of personal testimony type stories specifically for the 6.0 before trying an oil additive (never good to be the first one to try something unless you really have nothing to lose). I have heard many stories of causing problems w/ oil additives (like Lucas) in the 6.0L.

It does sound like good stuff - maybe worth looking into it for my son's 7.3L

Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only reason why I even bothered to buy the stuff was because of a local car talk radio show had these mechanic guys consisitantly plug the stuff and in the past I trusted their mechanical aptitude.
They were right, the stuff is slick.
I'll look into this stuff again on the net and maybe find more on it.
I think for the 7.3 oil capacity,it took 3 bottles.

On another note, there is one of the videos you guys are talking about with Bill where he didn't edit it out it's just raw video. I think it was after lunch too Buuuurrrp!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 AM
JIM_C
Elder User
Bill's shop is right up the road from me. I talked to him on the phone the other day and he's great to talk with. My truck is out of warranty and I want to make some modifications but will probably start with a new ICP sensor. After that we'll talk about performance mods. I'll let y'all know!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Originally Posted by JIM_C
Bill's shop is right up the road from me. I talked to him on the phone the other day and he's great to talk with. My truck is out of warranty and I want to make some modifications but will probably start with a new ICP sensor. After that we'll talk about performance mods. I'll let y'all know!
What is Bill's opinion on EGR delete and SCT programmers? My wife is headed too Disney next summer. Very tempted to have Bill do head studs and EGR delete if he will. Have not talked to him.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:28 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
He will do it, no problem. Call him and leave a message. He will call you back, and you can get his opinions straight from him.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Amsoil Synthetic Oil

Hi,
Do any of you guys have any experience with Amsoil Synthetic Oil? Bill highly recommends it on his 6.0 longevity vid. Just curious if anyone else has had any experience with it. If so, whats your opinion on switching to synthetic on a higher mileage truck. I have a 05 6.0 PSD with 112,500 miles and would like to switch if its worth it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jaybird, I run Amsoil. I like it and think it's good. I think synthetic is a good idea regardless of your mileage due to some inherent benefits of synthetic oils and would recommend making the switch. I would recommend using 5w40 and so does Ford now that they offer a synthetic 5w40. Some people only use dino because they can't justify the extra cost of synthetic and that is fine, too. Just make sure you're using a good quality CJ-4 rated oil.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 AM
mhays2
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jayybird
Hi,
Do any of you guys have any experience with Amsoil Synthetic Oil? Bill highly recommends it on his 6.0 longevity vid. Just curious if anyone else has had any experience with it. If so, whats your opinion on switching to synthetic on a higher mileage truck. I have a 05 6.0 PSD with 112,500 miles and would like to switch if its worth it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I like Bill H. and Amsoil both - A LOT.

Nothing is always perfect, and that's the case with Bill and Amsoil. But I think both are about 90% right on the money.

I run Amsoil 5W30 with the Amsoil bypass system and change my oil at 10k miles or one year, whichever comes first. I use Prolong (oil) and Stanadyne (diesel). The combination of all of these makes my truck noticeably smoother running and quieter. But most importantly, consistent. Prior to all that, sometimes I'd get a rough start, a skip once in a while and lost two injectors… Now I have a smooth starting/running engine - 100% of the time.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil Filter

mhays2 & juneau76,
Do you guys use an Amsoil or Motorcraft filter for the Main Flow (not the bypass)? How many miles do you have on your truck? Thanks for the info guys.

Quick Reply: Powerstrokehelp.com