best retractable tonneau? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best retractable tonneau?

Old 09-23-2008, 04:00 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cabindoc View Post
You didnt say if you think the retrax is good/bad hard/easy to install....
Fairly easy install, but for me it took two people to lift it in place. Instructions were easy enough to follow.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:14 PM
cabindoc
Elder User
cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanx. Turns out Retrax no longer makes this. I ordered a hard tournau that is hinged to a box and raises and lowers with gas struts. It also is removable.

Whew! That done, on to my next challenge. A dual exaust system that replaces stock from exaust back..... that will have larger dia, better sound...

Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.
Retrax no longer makes what?

They custom cut the rails based on measurements I gave them to fit behind my toolbox.....but that was 3-4 yrs ago.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DCSpecial View Post
Retrax no longer makes what?

They custom cut the rails based on measurements I gave them to fit behind my toolbox.....but that was 3-4 yrs ago.
They did mine about a year ago. Same manner as they did yours.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
79BRNC
Junior User
79BRNC is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a RollnLock on my 94 F150, I bought that cover in 95. It was all metal, with a black anodized finish on it.

So when I just bought this 05 F250 I went right to RollnLocks website, only to find they stopped making the all metal one, they only have them with the vinyl sandwiched on top of the metal.

I keep vehicles a long time and I can't believe that black vinyl will last long enough for me. I wanted all metal!

So that led me to Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, it is aluminum with a textured powdercoat finish.

The Pace Edwards looks great, and operates nice. But side by side, I think my OLD RollnLock is a much more ruggedly built piece. But no sense worrying about it, since they don't make them anymore. I can't speak for their current products, I have not seen them in person.

So if you are like me and want things that last for a decade, not just a few years, I think the Full Metal JackRabbit is the only all metal one out there, at least that I could find.

Note that Pace Edwards also makes the vinyl covered ones, so make sure you get the right model!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:51 PM
hazmic
New User
hazmic is starting off with a positive reputation.
I now have the RETRAX and like it much better then the PE. As far as I'm concerned the PE are junk and would NOT recommend them to anyone. A friend has one also and his is doing the same thing and PE will not stand behind their product. Alot of you like you PE and are happy with it and great for you but I will take the RETRAX. It is just better built.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
What problems haven't PE help you with? I told one rep about my remote's limited range and they sent me two free. I also asked him about the hardware for the explorer rails and they sent me a bag of long and short bolts.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 PM
hazmic
New User
hazmic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Vinyl covering is comeing lose and off on both the covers and he [friend] talked to them and their attidue is to bad so sad. Bad way to run a business. You like what you like and are happy with and that's great. I like the RETRAX and my wife can open and close it with one hand and the PE was a two person deal. You keep likeing your PE and I will take and like my RETRAX.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 PM
cabindoc
Elder User
cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanx guys. I'll have to look into it more....

Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.
Someone mentioned the material/finish of the Retrax.....it's Lexan:

RETRAX truck bed cover pickup bed cover tonneau cover roll top cover

Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 AM
bullfrog
Junior User
bullfrog is starting off with a positive reputation.
best retractable tonneau?

Originally Posted by DCSpecial View Post
Someone mentioned the material/finish of the Retrax.....it's Lexan:

RETRAX truck bed cover pickup bed cover tonneau cover roll top cover

Retrax roll top cover is made from Lexan, molded in color, will not fade with the sunlight (like vinyl top ones).

We've had two for 4 years on our Superduty trucks. Tough: kids stand on it, dropped a dirt bike on it, plus the bed remains fairly weatherproof with the accompanying weather strip.

Easy open, easy close and locks up tight.

Excellent product from a company with excellent customer service. Highly recommend this tonneau cover.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 AM
bohica50
New User
bohica50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just an update: Retrax now sells an aluminum cover in addition to the lexan.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:17 PM
PITS
Elder User
PITS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.PITS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't see the all aluminum one on the RETRAX website. I also don't see a model for an F-250 long bed.

I was told by several installers that the Roll n Lock was the best electric one out there so I ordered it. Was also told with just minor maintaince the vinyl cover on the metal will easilly last a decade. I hope so.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 AM
T8R
Elder User
T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.
Having seen several in person - it's hard to imagine anything more rugged than the Roll N Lock if security is an issue, although they can be finicky if the rails aren't just right... and the vinyl has to be taken care of.

The two Retrax I've seen looked to be the easiest manual cover to operate and both looked excellent even after a couple years of use. I'm curious about their all metal unit.

I don't have any experience with the PE yet, but hoping to get to mess with one in person. :-)

Old 03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
TruckDaddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
The new Retrax cover is called a RetraxPro, initially, they called it Protrax. The cover is black powdercoated aluminum. The cover can hold 1,000 pounds (disbursed) and comes with a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure exactly what the warranty covers though.

Sorry for the crummy pic quality, they were taken with my phone camera.

Here is a sample of the RetraxPro.

RetraxPro on the left, TruckCoversUSA on the right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best retractable tonneau?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.