1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Help !! Chip Installation Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:27 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Help !! Chip Installation Problems.

Well I tried to install the TW chip, 6 position: 1.- Stock, 2.- Economy, 3.- Heavy Tow, 4.- Street Race, 5.- Extreme and 6.- Hi Idle. And when I tried to start the truck, it didn’t start in the 1 position, but started in the other 5, and turning the switch the RPM change a little between them, but the Hi Idle seems not to work because the TAC marked only 600 or 700 RPM. Then if you go back to position 1, the truck died. Then I tried to start the truck again and nothing, I took out the chip and started as normal. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I think that I screwed something, cleaning the connectors to much and exposed the cooper or brass without any “silver (solder) material”. The reason of that is that I read this in some installation tips: use a small flat blade screwdriver (think eyeglasses, etc.) to rub as much of the remaining 'silver' off as you can. You'll have to do each contact individually. Do both sides of the PCM. You want to expose as much copper on the contacts as you can.<o></o>
<o></o>
What do you think? If so, can I put some solder there in the connectors? Or I have to buy a new PCM? Or is possible that the chip is wrong???

Old 09-15-2008, 02:22 PM
spazinweasel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would try calling them they may have burned it wrong or maybe they have experienced this problem before hope you get it goin

Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jose it sounds to me like it might be how the chip was burned. Maybe #1 is actually a no start position. With the chip in #1 with the key on does the WTS light come on?

Old 09-15-2008, 03:05 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Originally Posted by spazinweasel
i would try calling them they may have burned it wrong or maybe they have experienced this problem before hope you get it goin
Thank you, I e-mailed them.
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Jose it sounds to me like it might be how the chip was burned. Maybe #1 is actually a no start position. With the chip in #1 with the key on does the WTS light come on?
Tim, TW doesnt have a no start position, like DP tuner. And with the chip in #1 the WTS ligth comes on and stay on, when you change to #2 the WTS is brighter and comes off sooner than usual.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Oh TW doesn't have a no start, I didn't know that. I just spoke to him last week (oh yeah finally getting some good tunes) but I didn't want a no start so I didn't look into. I guess Tony will hopefully have an answer for you. I would not expect it to be an issue with the PCM due to the rest of the positions working. Maybe an issue with the switch but not sure on that either.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:48 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Oh TW doesn't have a no start, I didn't know that. I just spoke to him last week (oh yeah finally getting some good tunes) but I didn't want a no start so I didn't look into. I guess Tony will hopefully have an answer for you. I would not expect it to be an issue with the PCM due to the rest of the positions working. Maybe an issue with the switch but not sure on that either.
Ok, thanks again, Im going to wait what Tony says.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:01 PM
ms1780
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your truck happen to be california emissions? TW burned mine 3 times and we finally got it right. I wouldn't frett. He worked with me for no charge until we got it right, and it will be worth it.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:15 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

I guess Tony will hopefully have an answer for you. I would not expect it to be an issue with the PCM due to the rest of the positions working.
TJ, actually only one time (the first one) the truck started in the other positions, but later the truck never starts in ANY position. Tony told that he think is the erosion of the solder pins. I have a spare PCM but the code is TEE5, I dont know if it will work with the burns in the chip, made for the stock NAW4. ( I also asked this to Tony). What is your opinion?

Originally Posted by ms1780
Does your truck happen to be california emissions? TW burned mine 3 times and we finally got it right. I wouldn't frett. He worked with me for no charge until we got it right, and it will be worth it.
Nope is federal emissions. and yes, I know that TW is a good guy to deal with, but my problem is I live outside of USA and is a PITA to send and back the chip for reburns , but lets see how it works out. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

The PCM should work fine at least for testing purposes

Old 09-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
TJ, actually only one time (the first one) the truck started in the other positions, but later the truck never starts in ANY position. Tony told that he think is the erosion of the solder pins. I have a spare PCM but the code is TEE5, I dont know if it will work with the burns in the chip, made for the stock NAW4. ( I also asked this to Tony). What is your opinion?

Nope is federal emissions. and yes, I know that TW is a good guy to deal with, but my problem is I live outside of USA and is a PITA to send and back the chip for reburns , but lets see how it works out. Thanks a lot.
Can you post a pic of the old PCM pins after cleaning ?...

Old 09-17-2008, 01:18 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

The PCM should work fine at least for testing purposes
Yes, TW told I could go for it, so I will try.
Originally Posted by Action4478
Can you post a pic of the old PCM pins after cleaning ?...
Rick, I dont promise that, but sure I aslo will try that.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't help you now, but I found when doing mine that the little red straw that comes on a spray can like carb cleaner worked very well to clean off the goop but the plastic will not scratch the contacts or board. Then clean up with a little bit of carb cleaner on a rag.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Unhappy

Originally Posted by MagKarl
Doesn't help you now, but I found when doing mine that the little red straw that comes on a spray can like carb cleaner worked very well to clean off the goop but the plastic will not scratch the contacts or board. Then clean up with a little bit of carb cleaner on a rag.
Thanks MagKarl. Well Im very sad because I tried yesterday with my spare PCM cleanean as it should be the pins and put the chip, and (as most of you say) NO DICE ; the truck doesnt start in any position, in the first position the WTS light doesnt goes off and in the other positions is little brighter (spel?), and goes off very quicly, not like without the chip, and the truck doesnt start, I take out the chip and starts as usual. So Im going to ask Tony what is next

Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 PM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Thank you, I e-mailed them.
Tim, TW doesnt have a no start position, like DP tuner.
My TW has a no start position, I'll have to see if the WTS light comes on or not.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Originally Posted by 79_250RangerLariat
My TW has a no start position, I'll have to see if the WTS light comes on or not.
Well in the web page of him, doesnt appear the no start position and with the dealer I bougth the chip, he told me that they dont have that , Im sure about that because I wanted the NO start position; but I think that TW can burn the chip for that if you request as special to him but I really dont know.
Thanks for the input.

BTW, Im going to send the chip back to TW for reburn. So we will be in touch.

Quick Reply: Help !! Chip Installation Problems.