1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Manual Hubs Unlocked, Front Drive Shaft Spinning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Dstosh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will pull them, and clean them and then re install. Will spray with wd-40. Thanks for the tips!

Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Dstosh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took these pics when I was working on the project. I just found them on my phone today. The first pic shows what it looks like, you can see how there is more space at the bottom of the splined shaft than the top...therefore not allowing the hub ring to slide back and forth..which locks the hub and unlocks the hub, the spring just puts pressure on it so it is pushed forward, to become locked in.

The second pic shows how you can take a screwdriver and push the splined shaft down so it isnt on an angle and I would assume the hub ring would slide back and forth without a problem.

Any one have any ideas why it would be so out of wack like that?

Thanks

Old 11-23-2008, 07:21 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
I would look at the spindle bearing. It is a small roller bearing inside the tube the wheel bearings fit on. To check them you must remove the hub, like you are going to pack the wheel bearings. Then remove the 5 or 6 nuts htat hold the spindle tube on. It will be fairly hard to get off. I hit down on the tube with a hammer. Don't hit the tube where the wheel bearings slide on. With the tube off you can see the bearing on the inside of the spindle tube. If the bearing is totally shot you may have just the outside shell of the bearing, as the rollers can fall out if it is really bad. Hpe this helps. Tom

Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with farmert. The needle bearing is shot. It's the only way the axle could get out of wack like that.
I hope you didn't ruin the stub shaft.
The spindle is a PITA to remove. I drive all the studs out and then beat the spindle back and forth.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Jim, I just did ball joints on Rockee last week, and there is an easier way than that....

My brother in law introduced me to a tool I've never seen. OTC and probably other tool manufacturers have 4 wheel drive lock nut and spindle tools. One particular tool threads on the end of the spindle and the other threads a slide hammer. My spindles were completely seized on the knuckle. I beat the crap out of them from both sides and they never moved. I thought I was gonna have to use "the heat". Then he showed me that spindle tool. 5 minutes of slamming that slide hammer and they were off. I'd always heard of people having these issues, but I never delt with a truck that had been in snow and salt alot. Rockee came from Denver, so it was a different story.

https://www.mechanicstoolsupply.com/...oductID_E_2081

Old 11-24-2008, 06:15 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Also, I'd really give some serious looking at the back side of the lockout body. There are copper bushings in the back of that, that the center lock collar rides on. This is where the lockout spins and the axle shaft doesn't. I see those fail alot. But I would check the bearings too.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:21 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
Jim, I just did ball joints on Rockee last week, and there is an easier way than that....

My brother in law introduced me to a tool I've never seen. OTC and probably other tool manufacturers have 4 wheel drive lock nut and spindle tools. One particular tool threads on the end of the spindle and the other threads a slide hammer. My spindles were completely seized on the knuckle. I beat the crap out of them from both sides and they never moved. I thought I was gonna have to use "the heat". Then he showed me that spindle tool. 5 minutes of slamming that slide hammer and they were off. I'd always heard of people having these issues, but I never delt with a truck that had been in snow and salt alot. Rockee came from Denver, so it was a different story.

https://www.mechanicstoolsupply.com/...oductID_E_2081

VERY NICE TOOL! It even makes quick work of them babies here in the rust belt of Michigan!