Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hurricane Ike Relief?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Tecman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurricane Ike Relief?????

I have been reading the other thread all along and Im glad our members faired so well!!

My question is, It seems like there are alot of offers to help our members with generators and food and gas and other things. I was really bummed I never made it down when Katrina hit but Im itchin to do SOMETHING for Ike victims. Does anyone need any help that lives down there??? I live in chicago which is somewhat central to alot of members. Maybe the members that have offered food/gas/gens can meet up with me and I can bring them down to our member or other trustworthy people that could use them??

If this is not needed, then no problem, I want to head down there to help but its not as easy as you would think. Figured this might be a good way to help out at least a few poeple.

Let me know what you think

Also, just want to add, I have a 16 ft enclosed trailer that I use for all my lawncare stuff, I coulod empty that and fill it up with stuff also if there is too much stuff to fit in the bed of my truck

Old 09-14-2008, 03:17 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doug, that is a very nice and big offer. I wouldn't know how to make this happen, but I will bump it up and see what happens. I know Scott is having no luck with a generator and is starting to worry about fuel. Still trying to stay in contact with him. Another member, Makomaker, has made an offer to take supplies to him.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:20 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If something starts running with this, set up a pay pal account, I will chip in some gas money for the run..

Old 09-14-2008, 03:52 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great idea Doug. Lets seehow this pans out. If I can be of help let me know.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:01 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well why don't we set up a paypal account, select a member to buy and take the stuff down to the disaster zone for our brothers in need?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
I'm not real good at coordinating these kinds of things.

If you all get it worked out and get a paypal started, let me know how I can help.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:07 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, let me know if anybody needs any help, anything!!!! Great post Tecman.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:14 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
I will know whether I am going to haul FEMA campers within the next day or so. If I do get the call I would be happy to take some things down, but, When I do get the call i will need to be on station within 24hrs.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:18 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Brandon!!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:27 PM
whjco
Elder User
Doug,

I did four Katrina relief mission trips. The first was within days of Katrina's landfall and the second was a few weeks later and we had to evacuate when the second band of Rita hit us.

Overwhelmingly, the direct help to victims that I observed was not through FEMA or the Red Cross but through faith-based organizations. Are you a member of any demonination? If so, I'm certain that they'll have a web site on which you can register to be of assistance. If not, send me a PM and I'll give you the web site that I used. I also note that of the financial gifts that were made to our demonation's relief fund, 100% of the funds went directly to victim assistance. These organizations have the ability and experience to properly allocate relief labor and financial and other assets.

To those folks who wish to offer financial assistance, I recommend making a donation to one of these kind of organzations. They've done it many times before and you can be assured that your gift will be used for its intended purpose. And, in most cases, your donation will be tax deductible.

You definitely want to work through one of these type of organizations. While there are many folks who really want to help, unfortunately there are also many predators who will try to take advantage of victims in their time of need. An individual who just shows up and wants to help is immediately suspect. Working through an assistance organization helps give an already stressed out victim reassurance that the folks sent to help are there to do just that - help.

I offer this advice not only as someone who has been involved in relief work, but also someone who grew up in a small (1600 population) town that was hit by an F5 tornado that destroyed half our town and killed 31 of our neighbors. As horrible as that experience was, what really sticks with me is the good that I saw it bring out in a whole bunch of good people who helped us in our time of need. BUT, there's a right way and a wrong way to go about trying to help.

You're to be commended for you willingness to serve those in their time of need.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Doug, ill be heading to FT Hood Texas on the 22nd if you wanna get somthing going I can prolly swing by that area....i'de be glad to help out those in need! I got 8ft of empty bed to throw some stuff in there. Great idea!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kudos Doug,
I will be happy to help when you've set up your relief plan.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Tecman
Elder User
Originally Posted by whjco
Doug,

I did four Katrina relief mission trips. The first was within days of Katrina's landfall and the second was a few weeks later and we had to evacuate when the second band of Rita hit us.

Overwhelmingly, the direct help to victims that I observed was not through FEMA or the Red Cross but through faith-based organizations. Are you a member of any demonination? If so, I'm certain that they'll have a web site on which you can register to be of assistance. If not, send me a PM and I'll give you the web site that I used. I also note that of the financial gifts that were made to our demonation's relief fund, 100% of the funds went directly to victim assistance. These organizations have the ability and experience to properly allocate relief labor and financial and other assets.

To those folks who wish to offer financial assistance, I recommend making a donation to one of these kind of organzations. They've done it many times before and you can be assured that your gift will be used for its intended purpose. And, in most cases, your donation will be tax deductible.

You definitely want to work through one of these type of organizations. While there are many folks who really want to help, unfortunately there are also many predators who will try to take advantage of victims in their time of need. An individual who just shows up and wants to help is immediately suspect. Working through an assistance organization helps give an already stressed out victim reassurance that the folks sent to help are there to do just that - help.

I offer this advice not only as someone who has been involved in relief work, but also someone who grew up in a small (1600 population) town that was hit by an F5 tornado that destroyed half our town and killed 31 of our neighbors. As horrible as that experience was, what really sticks with me is the good that I saw it bring out in a whole bunch of good people who helped us in our time of need. BUT, there's a right way and a wrong way to go about trying to help.

You're to be commended for you willingness to serve those in their time of need.
Wow thanks for that! I will talk to my Church that I attend, they have been to a bunch or relief efforts. The part I dont like is they normally bus a ton of people down and I hate that part. I like to drive my truck and have options, im not a HUGE group person, I am a worker and just like a mission and like to complete it. I have a HUGE passion to help people in need, I have a constant adrenaline for it and I love helping people. But like you said, there are way to many scams and vultures that take advantage of people who have already lost everything.

Ford Bronco, Ill PM you my # so we can set something up. I waill actually be taking my Dad camping this weekend for his birthday and i cannot screw that up, haha.

I will work on setting something up, Im not a financially fortunate person so that is why im always willing to give time/helps instead of money. Ill post back here with a rough plan, I want to talk to fordbronco fisrt and see what his plan is. Oddly enough, my county (Cook) has just been declared a disaster zone due to the 8+ insches of rain we got the same time Ike was hitting.

This really is like a family here, I love this, there really is no other forum here like it.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:24 AM
whjco
Elder User
Doug,

Here's the reality of a disaster area. Security is tight. Fuel can be virtually non-existant except for that being distributed to legitimate disaster relief efforts. What hotel/motel rooms are left will be dedicated to infrastructure repair support. Food can be in short supply.

A major disaster is not a proper place for a do-it-yourself approach. If you want to use your truck to be a part of the relief efforts, then offer your services to a legitimate organized relief effort. You mentioned having a trailer. I've used mine to carry relief supplies on the first Katrina trip that I did. This was coordinated through the "Week of Compassion" funds through our church. I was given a list of supplies that were needed, my 24' trailer was loaded full and there was a whole crew waiting for me to arrive with the supplies so that they could immediately start distributing them to where they were needed. I couldn't have done this by myself - it took a whole team to make this work.

On the second trip, third and fourth trips, I used my truck and trailer to haul supplies and luggage and accompanyied a bus carrying a relief team. On one trip, I had sleep in my trailer. Also, remember that you may be subjected to high heat and humidity to which you may not be conditioned so you want to make sure that you have your own cooler and Gator Aid. I have a 12v cooler that I use for drink and food storage since ice may not be available.

Don't siphon off needed financial and other resources trying go it alone. Join a properly organized relief team so that your efforts and use of your truck can really count.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

That sounds like a better/solid plan. Since im heading down there anyway i'de be glad to tow somthing down there. But I have yet to hear of any disaster fund around my area :S but will keep looking!