Sponsored by: DP Tuner

TC replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:36 PM
jerryk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC replacement

Howdy guys, after looking thru early threads and asking you guys some ? I picked up a new TC and changed it out.
Here's the deal;

Why did I replace the TC ?, I had a rattle, very noticable at idle, Hated that extra noise and was worried what would happen if whatever was loose broke,
I know several guys have had the rattle and have run a lot of miles that way-I would rather fix now than wait for a break down that took out the tranny as well.

Which TC did I get ?, I thought about a stock but It seems the stock TC may be the weakest link in the powertrain so why, I wanted something better . Looked at the Suncoast etc., bulletproof but pricey and really meant for a new built tranny (like BTS), I'd rather get what matches my Excursion-stock tranny, 80E & 4" ex. The top TC's are great but more than what matched up with the rest of the truck.
I ended up with a Daaco ex HD, has a billet housing, multi disk clutch and a slightly lower stall (100 to 200 rpm). Meant to handle a bit extra torque and heavy towing. The billet housing do look a lot stronger. Were the stock had the mounting studs welded on spacers that held the TC abou 3/16ths away from the flexplate the billet has the studs mounted directly the face of the housing- the flexplate sits flush with the housing meaning the billet housing is about 3/16ths thicker. There may be more machined away inside for the multi disk clutch but I could tell that new TC weighed more than the stock.
Cost me $450 + tax.

How's it work?, Seems pretty nice, locks up tight, I can notice the lower stall, feels more the way it should be. It tightened up the feel of the TC/tranny.
One interesting result- I had on takeoff from stop a slight bump or lag-kind of like a real quick downshift, enough to notice but barely before the replacement. That is completely gone. I guess the old TC was a little loose inside. I'm glad I changed the TC out. Now I'll have to put some mileage on to see how it holds up

Other notes, I ended up removing my exhaust downpipe. My repair manuals didn't show this as a needed step but there was no way I could see to get to the top passenger side housing to eng bolt. piece of cake after pulling the exhaust. I also left the tranny and transfer case together as a unit when I pulled them out. They balanced on a floor jack pretty well.
I was glad my Son in Law was around to help with the Exhaust and pulling/reinstalling the tranny.

Jerry

What do you guys think?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:04 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Sounds great, and you did it yourself,even better, let us know how it holds up and if MPG go up. Glad things went well.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:42 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's one hell of a writeup, i left you some goodies. That's sure to help some people out there with stock converters who want to upgrade. I also don't recommend installing a fancy *** expensive converter in front of a stock transmission. Because WHEN not IF it will go, it's going to take the TC with it, there goes a few paychecks, where you can get the same performance for 1/3 of the price. Very nice.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:47 PM
zack7.3
Elder User
Great write up. I hear better TC will give you more MPGs as well. Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Rancha9
Elder User
I think you may have the exact same converter as I do... Works good!

Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
impressive to balance that mess on a floor jack! thanks for the report.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:20 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Good Job. I've been wanting to do this myself. I'm just a little scared. I'm glad everything went good for ya. BTW Great write up.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:58 AM
harleydude03
Junior User
where or who did you get it from?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:05 PM
jerryk
Freshman User
Thanks for the positive feedback guys,

aldridgec- The combo tranny/xfr balanced pretty well side to side (I left the crossmember attached just in case) but it was front heavy, we muscled it with a jackstand lifting and setting it down a notch at a time, another good floorjack at the front of the tranny would have made it fairly easy.

harleydude03- I mispelled the correct is dacco they are a nationwide tranny parts supplier www.daccoinc.com I think they have over 200 locations. I got mine in Alb,NM

jwhitetail & zack7.3- I hope it helps the MPG's-I'll check as the miles go by

strokin_it7.3- Thanks, pardon me for asking, tell me about the goodies, I tend to be blind to the obvious.

Jerry