1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 power issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:04 PM
supercab79
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 power issues

My 97 crew cab short bed has been a PITA since I got it it always run higher EGT's and all the power upgrades make little if any difference. I took off the Banks Stinger kit and put it on my 97 standard cab and the thing flies. Getting in and out of each truck is like night and day. The crew cab has a DP tuner stock, tow, and 80 econo Tymar intake gutted EBPV 4" exhaust Banks Billet converter I changed to 4:10 gears Cali fuel pressure reg kit. and the truck is still flat I had a TW chip and it didn't respond well to that either with both chips it will not make hardly any smoke even under full throttle high output setting. Is there any where else I should be looking maybe at 118000 miles the injectors are lacking. It really feels like it's not getting enough fuel. Any help would be geat Thanks
Marc

Old 09-12-2008, 05:15 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
What intake do you have?
sounds like maybe turbo issues???
what is in the banks kit?
any other symptoms?

Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 PM
supercab79
Junior User
The intake is a tymar open air intake it's a 4" 45 and a baldwin large diameter element. The Banks stinger is a KN air filter, .84 quick spool turbo housing, chip, 3.5 exhaust and trans command. None of thats on there now the turbo boosts great both wheels are in good shape and I put new bearings and seals in the turbo last year the truck has a 3 position DP tuner in it now a full 4" exhaust fuel press spring from a Cali truck with the split shot injectors
4:10 gears and 255's and a Banks Billet converter but I can't get 85 MPH out of it or break the tires loose the boost under load pulling hard in 3rd is up around 30 psi it also will not make smoke even on the 80 HP chip setting. It really feels like it's defueling for some reason and like I said the same parts from my Banks kit on my other 97 the trucks runs like a scalded cat.
Thanks for the quick responce
Marc

Old 09-12-2008, 07:37 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check fuel pressure, intake (boost leaks) and preturbo exhaust leaks.
Also just for fun unplug the electrical connector on the MAP sensor and see if the truck drives better.