Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red-headed step child

Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 AM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
DieselBeast01 has a good reputation on FTE.DieselBeast01 has a good reputation on FTE.
Red-headed step child

As I read through some of these post I often here that the 2001 model 7.3s have a few differences when compared to the others. They are often called the red-headed step child of the 7.3l diesels. Can anyone explain to me what is different about them and whether or not it is anything that I should be worried about?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Simply put, they have the goofy mechanical diode in some of that year's transmissions, and thats the only year where it's debatable if the truck has PMRs or Forged rods.. However, ive been around here a while and ive never heard it referred to as that...???

Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
DieselBeast01 has a good reputation on FTE.DieselBeast01 has a good reputation on FTE.
Other than pulling the engine apart, how would I know if has PMRs or Forged rods. I would like to assume that I will never reach the magical 400 hp mark, but just in case I ever do it would be nice to know if it does have PMRs or Forged rods.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
I'm going to have to pull out this inspection hole plug and take a look at the rods.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by DieselBeast01 View Post
I'm going to have to pull out this inspection hole plug and take a look at the rods.

Thats what I did with mine. Pulled the plug and used a magnifying mirror to see the nuts. Took me 5 times hitting the starter to get a positive view. I do have forged rods. There is a few of us on here that have 01' trucks with forged rods. My build date was 8/00'. I have no problems with my trans as of right now, but I am putting a few more horses on it so,,,,,

Old 09-09-2008, 12:59 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
I just took a look at my build date and it is 9/00. Maybe I will end up being one of the lucky ones who has the forged rods...

Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by miller_feed View Post
Thats what I did with mine. Pulled the plug and used a magnifying mirror to see the nuts....
Sorry, that's just funny stuff there...

Old 09-09-2008, 02:04 PM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
Here is the easiest way to figure out which rods you have.

Here is the engine serial number break down for the forged and powdered connecting rods. Check you engine serial number on the valve cover build sticker or you need to look at the block where the oil cooler is bolted to it .
Start of production thru 1425746 are Forged Rods
1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods
1446713 thru 1498318 are Forged Rods
1498319 thru final production run are all powdered
Or you can break them then you know what you have-Ha Ha-Just kidding
The reason for the break in serial numbers is a "test" run to be sure there were not any issues with the powdered rods. Once the process was production tested the powered rod process was used until the end of production.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:27 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
STROKIN'IT7.3 has a very good reputation on FTE.STROKIN'IT7.3 has a very good reputation on FTE.STROKIN'IT7.3 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I made the red headed step child comment in the "which year to buy" thread... pmr's, dana 50, and diode problem. haha i didnt mean it it just sounded good at the time.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by John311t View Post
Thats not always true too, as a few test motors had PMRs earlier than that.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris View Post
Sorry, that's just funny stuff there...

. Chris, the nuts aren't that big on the end of the rod.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Neal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by John311t View Post
What about 1440713 thru 1446712
I assume one of these is a typo but these #'s are left out.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:20 PM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
So your saying that even though the break in the serial numbers where they went from Forged, to PMR, back to Forged then back to PMR's, that there was still some motors that had the wrong serial number from IH and had PMR's anyways in the first/second forged group?

Just a little confused, since I thought before there was a list, but it didn't show for the little test they performed which mislead a lot of people. Or has this list been used now for awhile and been proven wrong?

I would assume the 0 to be a typo, since the rest of them just go one right after the other.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM
preppypyro
Posting Legend
preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
So why did they not continue with the forged rods anyways?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Red-headed step child

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.