Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Oil

For you fellas with larger equipment, tractors, bobcat's (skidsteer's whatever!) semi's, loaders, cat's, etc., what brand of oil do you guys use?

My dad always gets this stuff from john deere, and it is great stuff, but expensive at 600 dollars a barrel (on sale).

I was thinking about using coop oil. I use it in my half ton, and in the civic, and for the winter I used the synthetic in the PSd and never had a problem.
It seems to be decent priced, cheaper then shell. (although I do like shell but it is expensive on a semi for an oil change!)

Old 09-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petro Canada 15W40 in the United Rental equipment.
Dad uses CO-OP D-MO

Old 09-05-2008, 07:23 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
How does your dad like the co-op stuff?

Have you noticed anything different about the petro can stuff?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Same **** different barrell lol. I'm assuming dad uses CO-OP because they are either cheaper or that they pay dividens out to members annually, either way our machinery seem to be trouble free at high hours (7500 on our Allis tractor which has been using CO-OP ouil/diesel since day 1)

Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Esso engine oils across the board as well as gear and transmission oils in the big trucks. We use CaseIH Hytran in the hydraulic applications called for and John Deere Powergard hydraulic oil wherever its called for.
When we had all our trucks running on the highway we used lots of Shell and it was great stuff but our dealer closed so we switched to Esso. Lots of guys run the Coop oils and they seem okay as well.
I will tell you a story.
We had two semis with the first of the Cummins Big Cam III engines and they were quite problematic until they got to the root of the problem and cut the counterbores in the blocks and went to lower press fit liners because they were rocking with piston slap. Those engines were rebuilt every year for the first 3 years we had them. Once things got sloppy they burned a gallon or more of oil per day - the first week after an oil change it wasnt as bad, the next two weeks it got worse, and the last week before the monthly change was ridiculous. We were trying every oil out there at the time and the Esso and Shell products held up better. I am not sure on the relevance of this but I correlated that the breakdown wasnt as rapid as the rest.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,364 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I have no problem with Coop oil.
An MF 285 tractor bought used had only Coop products used in it from day one and I kept on with Coop as well with no problems.
The main thing is timely oil/filter changes and all normal maintenance performed as recommended.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:37 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Well my backhoe is way way way way past due for an oil change lol. I know my dad swears by his JD oil, because of all the additives they put in it. Thats fine and dandy but that crap is expensive, not really stuff I would use on my older equipment.

Im thinking Co-op oil will do for now, unless i can get some shell stuff for cheap (ya right)

Im not sure where a guy could get decent priced esso oil either, but I wouldnt be opposed to trying that stuff.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Perdue has a bulk CO-OP (I think that's the closest to you) but any bulk Co-op sells barrells..

Old 09-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Fomoko1
Try pricing oil at Costco.
It used to be quite reasonable for a premium brand but like anything else I`m sure it`s up there now.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Prairie Lariat
Posting Guru
Mostly CaseIH oil in the farm equipment. I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 in the Cobra and Quaker State 5w-30 in our other vehicles. Have had very good luck with them.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:02 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I used to use quaker state, but had a buddy that swore his car blew up after using it haha. I then switched to valvoline, cause I could get it cheap.

Collin whats the price of the case IH oil?

For the closest place to get it, Ill probably just get it from avenue c coop. Its only a 20 minute drive from my house. I dont know if langham or borden has a bulk dealer I dont think so though.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
We use Coop oil at the plant in all our equipment and it works just fine. We have never had an oil related failure. Dad has used Coop oil at the farm for 50 years and it has all worked just fine. JD, Case and Canadian Tire oil used in Canada used to be made by Esso and Shell grease sold in Sask used to be made by Coop. I haven't checked any of these products out lately but about 15 years ago that was the case.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't have any heavy equipment, but yamalube is the best for the ATV/sleds... nothing but motocraft for the truck!!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Fomoko1
Originally Posted by preppypyro
For the closest place to get it, Ill probably just get it from avenue c coop. Its only a 20 minute drive from my house. I dont know if langham or borden has a bulk dealer I dont think so though.
Sad to say but I don`t think that there are hardly any bulk plants outside of any of larger centres in Sask now.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 AM
less
Posting Guru
I've used Quaker State oil (reg. dino, not synthetic) in all my vehicles for the past 25 + years. Never any problems with any vehicle.

I use Yamalube 4 stroke oil for my Yamaha and Castrol Motorcycle 4 stroke oil (can't find Matchlube)for my Matchless (Norton 750cc Twin engine).

Quick Reply: Oil