1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you?
No way, I would hide the keys!
12.12%
Might as well, I'll be gone and it's insured.
87.88%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Would you let her?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Well you asked for opinions on your truck, and heavymetal stepped up and gave you some great info on what lies ahead. (reps to him).

If it were me I'd let the wife drive it (not tow with it), and call your insurance agent and let him know you'll be serving in support of our troops (thank you) over seas. You should be able to qualify for an insurance discount since the truck will no longer be considered a daily driver. Some states even have policies which will base your rate on the mileage driven during the year. Keep it below 12,000 and you should see a discount. One driver with 2 vehicles should also get you (& her) a discount. This might even be used as motivation to limit the amount of driving she does in your truck.

You might be surprised at the internet access you have over there. We have a member down in the 7.3 section currently in Iraq on active Guard duty that posts almost every night. You might PM heavymetal and get some more inside scoop on what to expect.

When do you leave? If you get the opportunity, don't be a stranger.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:37 PM
lwfox002
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd let mine drive my truck. But then again, her rig is the 2002 Excursion, so just a little different.

I agree with the trust thoughts also. She is your partner for life, the truck is "just" A TRUCK. Dang that was hard to say!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
My wife had a fender bender with my truck while I was in Iraq. It was snowing pretty hard and she was actually taking my truck to get it inspected for when I was coming home on my two week break. She made a wrong turn and went into a parking lot to turn around, the buisness had an underground, unmarked, snowfilled loading dock and she basically drove right into it. Messed up the driver front corner and if it wasn't for the 6.5" lift and large tires, I would bet the truck would have been totalled. She was more broken up that she wrecked my truck and had nothing to look at out the front window than anything while it was being repaired.

Another time, about 3 years ago, I traded her my truck for her car for a week for commuting. She was off that week and only had to bring the kids to school. The parking lot of our old apartment was quite small and my truck is quite big, so backing into a spot is required. She loaded the kids up, started pulling forward while turning and she felt like she was stuck a little in a pot hole, so she goosed it and ran over the driver front 1/4 panel of an '80s maxima. no damage to my truck but the car was pretty bent. I got home and noticed the car was abandoned so that was good. Complex towed it afterwards. I guess she lucked out on that one.

But..... (Moral of the story) If your wife sees your truck as an extension of you (as in, you value your truck and she knows it) Don't let her drive it. Over time, it may become somewhat of a shrine to her while you are gone. Believe me, I'm not saying my wife is weak, (she's much stronger than I) she was destroyed inside when she had the accident while I was in Iraq. I almost had to come home.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal
My wife had a fender bender with my truck while I was in Iraq. It was snowing pretty hard and she was actually taking my truck to get it inspected for when I was coming home on my two week break. She made a wrong turn and went into a parking lot to turn around, the buisness had an underground, unmarked, snowfilled loading dock and she basically drove right into it. Messed up the driver front corner and if it wasn't for the 6.5" lift and large tires, I would bet the truck would have been totalled. She was more broken up that she wrecked my truck and had nothing to look at out the front window than anything while it was being repaired.

Another time, about 3 years ago, I traded her my truck for her car for a week for commuting. She was off that week and only had to bring the kids to school. The parking lot of our old apartment was quite small and my truck is quite big, so backing into a spot is required. She loaded the kids up, started pulling forward while turning and she felt like she was stuck a little in a pot hole, so she goosed it and ran over the driver front 1/4 panel of an '80s maxima. no damage to my truck but the car was pretty bent. I got home and noticed the car was abandoned so that was good. Complex towed it afterwards. I guess she lucked out on that one.

But..... (Moral of the story) If your wife sees your truck as an extension of you (as in, you value your truck and she knows it) Don't let her drive it. Over time, it may become somewhat of a shrine to her while you are gone. Believe me, I'm not saying my wife is weak, (she's much stronger than I) she was destroyed inside when she had the accident while I was in Iraq. I almost had to come home.
Nice story, but I'm not sure Iraq has anything to do with it. My wife took my truck to pick up my daughter several years ago and hit a cow standing in the middle of the road. Luckily the ranch hand replacement front bumper saved the truck from any damage.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:27 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure I'd let her drive it but she'd rather not. In fact she turns me down every time I offer to let her take the wheel. My 10 year old daughter OTOH, would take it if I'd let her....

Old 08-15-2008, 09:40 PM
dsl_pwrd_ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
I'd let her drive it. Trouble is my wife won't drive it because she can't park it!! Kind of solves that problem for me.
similar deal, but she can't drive it or park it. it's a 6 sp. most recently she took a turn and put it in third instead of first, and killed it in the middle of an intersection.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what are you getting? I was there 2 years, 2 months and net'd 408k.
Wow I about fell out of my chair when I read that!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Nice story, but I'm not sure Iraq has anything to do with it. My wife took my truck to pick up my daughter several years ago and hit a cow standing in the middle of the road. Luckily the ranch hand replacement front bumper saved the truck from any damage.

Yes, Iraq had alot to do with the post Since that is where I was at the time. He asked if he should let his wife drive his truck while he went to SW ASIA and I'm sure you understand where that is with the Marines avatar you display. I simply stated what could happen, since it happened in my case.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Bulldog66
Senior User
I feel more comfortable w/her in my truck than in hers. It's a little cumbersome for her so she's a little more alert when driving it.

Like what's been said - letting any vehicle sit for too long is only asking for gremlins to set up camp.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:53 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell yea, she can drive it, And launch the boat as well

Old 08-16-2008, 11:21 AM
elmo8641
Elder User
i would be taking her with me. that is a long time without some lovin. i have needs.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:46 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Yes, Iraq had alot to do with the post Since that is where I was at the time. He asked if he should let his wife drive his truck while he went to SW ASIA and I'm sure you understand where that is with the Marines avatar you display. I simply stated what could happen, since it happened in my case.
I fully understood what you were saying. I was saying your location doesn't really have much to do with a wifes fender bender. I was sitting at home in my lazy boy when my wife had the mishap in my truck. Sometimes those things just happen weather you're at sitting at home, or away finding the new worst place you've ever been.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:53 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 307 Likes on 157 Posts
SOMEONE had better drive it for a year, unless you want all sorts of gremlins to pop up when you get back!

Be safe, and keep in touch

Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 PM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by redford
I am about 1 week away from departing CONUS. I am heading for SW Asia for a year as a civilian contractor.

My wife recently told me she really likes driving the F-250. It makes her feel very secure and safe when driving down the road. I told her she could if she wanted to, just try to keep it clean.

My question; Would you let your wife drive your truck if you had to go away for a year?
My wife gets very car sick if she's not driving, so she drives mine everywhere we go together in the truck. She has even driven it to work. She said when she jumped down out of it in the parking lot (all 5 foot 2 of her) in a dress, some guy walking near said #*@! I wasn't expecting a chic coming out of that truck and you even backed it in so nicely.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:10 PM
redford
Received 1,631 Likes on 955 Posts
You may want to check on that, they used to process there but they closed that CRC to contractors and moved to Columbus in later 2006...
Yes, I asked the company contact about my itinerary, I was informed I would be going to the CRC in Columbus, not NC as previously informed.

Pay is in line with what you got, probably a bit less. There are hints and "carrots on string" about a 2nd year bonus, promotion, raise and all that happy BS but I will see about making it through the first year before I decide on a second year.

Thanks for the tips. I'll print that and carry it with me. Cell phone sounds like a good idea, if it will work at Bagram.

Quick Reply: Would you let her?