Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My TN BB turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My TN BB turbo.

OK, guys/gals, I did a little testing of this thing last night after I finally fixed my down-pipe touching the firewall. I would like to hear from other people that installed this turbo, and those with other turbos.

First, I am not very happy so far, but I only ran it for a few runs. I will do more testing if it don't rain this weekend. First thing I did was doing 45 mph, nailed it. Turbo seemed to pull ok, but did smoke quite a bit, boost was little more than 20#, EGT was climbing very fast. Did a few of these with close to the same readings. Next I did a boost launch in 2x4, my stock turbo would start spinning all 4 tires with 15# boost, with the TN, it took 20# boost to start them spinning. Backed off, then went to 17-18# boost, let off the brake and nailed it. It did start spinning the tires, but not as much as the stock turbo. Not sure if I was in OD yet when the EGT went into the red, I think around 1400*. Let off, I don't know how far it would have gone to, and it was still climbing. On that run, it only went up to 25# boost. My stock would go to 30+ on a run like that. Like I said, I only did a few runs and it was dark. I read where TN ships the turbos set to 25#, set at the wastgate. Also read where some screw the nut all the way in, then drive the truck and back off the WG nut till you get the boost you want.

I hope I can work this out. If not, I see a change coming.

Can someone give me some help with this?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rick, apparently you aren't the only one. There's been a lot of discussion over at PSN about this very same issue.

You can try the wastegate to see if there's any improvement. With your mods, might as well tighten that rod all the way down. You don't have enough fuel on stock injectors to completely spool that turbo, so there's no need for the wastegate.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Jeremy gave me the link to the thread you are talking about. Not having enough fuel, is that why it smokes so much? I will screw the WG down this weekend and see that happens.

Thanks Curtis.

EDIT: I do plan on the STAGE II injectors as soon as I get to where I need to be with the turbo. Will more fuel help the EGT?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Will more fuel help the EGT?
With the TN, I'm not sure. These turbos seem to be hit and miss. Some people just can't seem to get them dialed in. From what I've read so far, this turbo is a bit laggy down low, but once it spools up and you have enough fuel, you'd better hold on.

Good luck with it and let us know what happens.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:04 AM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got me thinking too rick. I've noticed some weird things too. This turbo is def. more smokey down tho, i think atleast. In 120r it seems to spool quicker, but that's the fuel issue again. My boost i've actually seen go up (one hill by my house cruise control set on 60, i'd see 10lbs on stocker, saw 13 or 14 yesterday) I see an improvement but not what i was expecting atleast. I've hit 32 pounds with no wastegate. Havent tried spinning em yet so not sure what it was stock or with the TN (i baby the truck or atleast try to) hope this helps, or maybe i'm just rambling

Old 08-15-2008, 11:05 AM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
O another thing, i havent seen over 825 F (downpipe) at WOT so i dont know wehre your 1400 is coming from

Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by STROKIN'IT7.3
got me thinking too rick. I've noticed some weird things too. This turbo is def. more smokey down tho, i think atleast. In 120r it seems to spool quicker, but that's the fuel issue again. My boost i've actually seen go up (one hill by my house cruise control set on 60, i'd see 10lbs on stocker, saw 13 or 14 yesterday) I see an improvement but not what i was expecting atleast. I've hit 32 pounds with no wastegate. Havent tried spinning em yet so not sure what it was stock or with the TN (i baby the truck or atleast try to) hope this helps, or maybe i'm just rambling
Thanks Will. What Curtis said made feel a little better. Guess I could unplug the red line and see if that makes a difference. Once I have confidence in this turbo, I will order the injectors, and hopefully everything will come together. I like the sound of the turbo spooling up and down, and there is lots of smoke at low spooling.

O another thing, i havent seen over 825 F (downpipe) at WOT so i dont know wehre your 1400 is coming from
I have my pyro in the up-pipe, next to the manifold. If you are post turbo, in the down pipe, what do you think your true EGT is? Have you done any WOT runs to see what the EGT is? I know when I let off, the temp droped fast.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
That's because pyro probes in the downpipe is a huge no-no. If your gauge shows 825 degrees in the downpipe, that means your actual pre-turbo EGT's can be anywhere from 900 to 1500 degrees. There is no linear correlation between pre-turbo and post-turbo temperatures.

Move your pyro probe ASAP. The pistons are aluminum and if you aren't watching the pre-turbo temperatures, you're going to do some damage.

There is another thread on that exact subject. This truck was driven hard by the previous owner, and he had the pyro probe mounted in the downpipe. That engine was destroyed by heat. Lots of damage to the pistons. Block seems to have lived, but when every other piston is cracked, so you know it got hot.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:07 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully you can get that turbo working good for you.
I've been reading all the same stuff Curtis has on PSN.

Originally Posted by Pocket
That's because pyro probes in the downpipe is a huge no-no. If your gauge shows 825 degrees in the downpipe, that means your actual pre-turbo EGT's can be anywhere from 900 to 1500 degrees. There is no linear correlation between pre-turbo and post-turbo temperatures.

Move your pyro probe ASAP. The pistons are aluminum and if you aren't watching the pre-turbo temperatures, you're going to do some damage.

There is another thread on that exact subject. This truck was driven hard by the previous owner, and he had the pyro probe mounted in the downpipe. That engine was destroyed by heat. Lots of damage to the pistons. Block seems to have lived, but when every other piston is cracked, so you know it got hot.

I agree completely with this post.

I played around switching mine pre and post back a number of years ago since I had a dp that came with the bung on it. More load on motor= larger gap between pre and post turbo numbers.

Pre turbo...we know what the set redline is to not run above for extended times, Post turbo we do not.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
also keep an eye on you tail pipe for oil...i been on the other site doing a lot of reading too...the Garrett BB is sounding pretty good right now...alot of hit and misses with the TN..it ether works well or not at all...

Old 08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
also keep an eye on you tail pipe for oil...i been on the other site doing a lot of reading too...the Garrett BB is sounding pretty good right now...alot of hit and misses with the TN..it ether works well or not at all...
I read some in there also. I think some of the post in that thread is like when you do a thread like. Diesel vs v-10. You know what I mean. lol. There is talk that the newer TN turbos are better then the older ones. Once I get my injectors in, I think I should be ok. Curtis helped me understand a little more on what is going on.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:22 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
I'm thinking of doing a dual setup on pyro (pre and post), but for now, i will def. get the one i have into the manifold. sorry to hijack.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:09 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I read some in there also. I think some of the post in that thread is like when you do a thread like. Diesel vs v-10. You know what I mean. lol. There is talk that the newer TN turbos are better then the older ones. Once I get my injectors in, I think I should be ok. Curtis helped me understand a little more on what is going on.
this is true..hard to tell some times who is right...i do know there has been a lot of post the last 2 months over there with problems with there TN...some are not happy with power..some say oil in DP or on pedistal....some work them out with TN ..and others give up and get the garrett..i hope yours works out...i wanted the TN too..thats why i have been doing a lot of reading on turbo's....still not sure witch.. but still dont have the cash...soon as my 17 pump gets back ill be putting that in then ill be looking for a PCM and get my tuner re burned..then ill be ready for injectors and turbo..hopeing for this winter..

Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
If i could do it again i'd do the Garrett. Seems that it's better than the TN for racing and stuff, it does stall alot when you let out of it (chuff chuff chuff), but everyone i know who went from a TN to a Garrett won't go back, except for one person, gauge *****

Old 08-16-2008, 08:54 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
this is true..hard to tell some times who is right...i do know there has been a lot of post the last 2 months over there with problems with there TN...some are not happy with power..some say oil in DP or on pedistal....some work them out with TN ..and others give up and get the garrett..i hope yours works out...i wanted the TN too..thats why i have been doing a lot of reading on turbo's....still not sure witch.. but still dont have the cash...soon as my 17 pump gets back ill be putting that in then ill be looking for a PCM and get my tuner re burned..then ill be ready for injectors and turbo..hopeing for this winter..
Hey Ron. I will do the testing for you. lol I will see what this thing does this weekend. If I don't like the way it performs, I will send it back and get the -G38. It's raining here, so I don't know if I will be able to hook the TT up and take it for a spin. I will let you know later today.

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
If i could do it again i'd do the Garrett. Seems that it's better than the TN for racing and stuff, it does stall alot when you let out of it (chuff chuff chuff), but everyone i know who went from a TN to a Garrett won't go back, except for one person, gauge *****
LOL, Don't give up yet. I will get back with you later today.

MAN, I feel like shi!, had a party last night, for a friend that turned 50. Why do I do that.

Quick Reply: My TN BB turbo.