Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

High steer kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Pedestrian
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High steer kit?

Is there a high steer kit for a 79 bronco? My lower tie rod Is way too low and has been bent again.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:16 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Of course. High steer kits for any Dana 44 is what you are looking for. This will convert the factory Inverted "T" style steering to a more conventional x-over style, and it will require that you machine the pass side knuckle, so the drag link can connect.
This also means that you will have to make modifications to the trac bar. This will be reqired so the the new drag link angle and the trac bar angle remain the same.

Now, as a qustion that should be asked: Why are you bending tie rods? The factory tie rod is known to be a little weak, and a fair hit on just w wheel has been known to bend them. Are you making contact with the tie rod on rocks and such, or is you driving style a little rough for stock components.
A chro-mo tie rod can be made, and is pretty strong, even against some rock rubbing.
I really do not hear of a tie rod failing with frequency on a stock Dana 44, unless there is a driving habit that can be corrected.

I only ask this because high steer is rather costly, and if your wheeling style is extreme enough to justify this modification, the weak link eventually will be the front axle itself.
If an upgrade axle like a Dana 60 is in your future, this might be the time to find one. A
D60 high steer, and x-over steering is a "bolt on" deal, and is a much more cost effective solution to peforming the same upgrade on a D44, and soon thereafter deciding that your wheeling style has outgrown a D44.
Dont get me wrong, D44's are pretty tough, but sometimes upgrades such as this make a D60 upgrade much more justifiable.
(JMO)
At any rate, any D44 high steer kit will work.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Pedestrian
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I wheel pretty agressively, big rocks, steep approaches etc. I have hit the tie rod itsself on rocks, not really bent from wheels taking hits, just direct hits to the tie rod.
Whats the story on Dana 60s? did any come factory with high steer? I wouldn't mind the upgrade but have concerns about wheel lug patterns. I am currently on 33s, was going to upgrade to 35s but would go larger if I thought the front axle would handle it. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Right on man. Sound again like you are just bashing the stock tie rod. A chro-mo tube will fix that. I mean, even if you get the tie rod out of the way, you will just hit something else. That something else is usually the diff cover, or even the axle tube itself. 33's and big rocks probably do not belong in the same sentance, unless you are wheeling a tiny samuri or something. Even then sammy's like 35's.
At any rate, there are absolutely no axles that were designed for a factory vehicle that had these high steer knuckles you speak of. However, the king pin dana 60 front axle, can be modified to steer from the top of the knuckle with zero machining (unlike the D44).
Steering arms for the D60 are bolt ons, and pretty cheap compared to a D44. D44's require machining of the knuckle to accomodate the studs that attach the steering arm to the knuckle itself.
Now, for a Bronco, or other 1/2 ton truck, some fabrication is involved. D60's were only available in leaf sprung trucks (with the exception of econoline van conversions)
My point here is, simply that you will eventually have to upgrade to a stronger front axle (rear too) and as long as you are aware of this, you might consider this upgrade sooner than later. If you spend 1500 bucks on a correct high steer set-up for a d44, and eventually upgrade the entire axle, that money invested would be lost, and difficult to get back. I mean a D44, even with high steer arms are still only worth a few hundred bucks at best. Lost money, you know?
Instead of investing in an axle that might be more of a liability than an asset, you might set your sights on a stronger unit.
Just my opinion here, but most rock guys end up going this direction eventually.
You might just be running into stuff now, but eventually as your truck evolves, you will start breaking components. Dont get me wrong, I see many D44's under very capable rigs, but most are pretty high dollar units, and 99% of the guys (girls) wish they would have upgraded to a 60 from the beginning.

If I was looking for a little extra clearance, I would drill the stock knuckles to accomodate a 7/8" spherical rod end, and make a chro-mo tie rod. I would then install this much stronger tie rod above the knucle using a pair of 7/8" F911 bolts. This should provide about 3 to 3.5 inches of additional clearance. This might just be enough to help, or even solve your problem.
The advantage here is that this tie rod could still be used when you eventually upgrade to a stronger axle (D60).
Just a thought.