General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

dog getting old...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 AM
rhw
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dog getting old...

Well, I've had my dog, Princess about 9 years now ( she's an American Rottwieler) and she's 15, almost 16 years old. She's mostly blind, deaf and crippled up. She has a bad limp, was hit by a car some time ago and has arthritis. I give her glucosamine, condriton, a pain killer the vet prescribed and an anti inflammatory for her back. She's had this big lump on her tail that just started to bleed today. the vet said it wasn't malignant about two months ago but keep an eye on it. Its gotten bigger and has opened up. The wife thinks it's time to put her to sleep and reading this I would almost have to agree, but she seems happy still. She gets up with me and dances around the kitchen begging for food, hops out on the front porch and barks at nothing while wagging her tall. It t is just working me out picturing driving her to the vet to be put down while she's all excited going for a ride. I've about drunk myself sober on this one tonight...any thoughts?

Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 AM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 16 year old dachsund that is also partially blind and deaf and is gettnig crppled up. She developed a lump on her belly about a year ago and the vet said that we could have it operated on, but it would have a good chance of killing her. We decided that as long as it didn't cause her pain we'd let it go. It has gotten a lot bigger now but still now pain. I would tend to think that if it started bleeding that I would have to seriously consider having her put to sleep. This seems like a no win situation to me. Is there some way that you can stop the bleeding? Is she losing a fair amount of weight? If the bleeding can't be stopped and she is losing weight then I would probably vote for her to be put down. We keep making excuses to not put ours down so I can understand how it would be awful hard to make that decision.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:10 AM
BIGGDADDYT
Senior User
This is a decision I don't want to go thru with I have two dogs myself and when the time comes I am going to lose my mind. My dog I grew up with back home passed not to long ago my step-dad took her to the vet a few times due to many problems she had then came home to see her dead on kitchen floor I was hoping to get home again to see her before she passed. My advice is if she is still happy and playfull and doesn't seem to feel pain or act like they are bothering her I would try to enjoy every moment man give her treats and whatever else you can to spoil her while she still acting like a pup....

Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
All living things will let you know when it's time....people and animals alike. I've had a number of relatives that have passed, and a few of them welcomed it (for varying reasons), and animals do the same. My uncle had a yellow lab that acted like a pup even though he had severe arthritis. Every morning was a chore for him to get moving, but he would and would go through his day happy as a clam. Finally, one day it was over...he just didn't have the willpower enough to overcome his affliction, and my uncle had to do what was right. It really messed both of us up when that dog had to go, and I still have problems with it...and he wasn't even my dog! My uncle passed about a year and a half after that, and I haven't been able to completely deal with that one either.

My sister had her own fuzzball that she rescued from a shelter. Last Christmas, she brought the dog with the family, so I got to see it for the first time. This dog was blind, deaf, constantly cold, and had to be picked up and taken outside to relieve itself as it couldn't find the door. It threw up three times while he was there, and slept most of the time. I kept thinking, "Maybe my sister isn't reading the signs because she's too close to it". Then, one day, I was playing around with the kids and the other dog, and this goofball got all excited, and started running up and down the basement hallway at full speed (and that dog was pretty dang fast for a crippled geriatric pup!) I thought, "maybe there's a little bit of time left in this goofball yet". There was, but about a month or so later, he was gone. He went downhill, and my sister had to take him in to put him down. She told me that the dog finally let her know it was too much to deal with.

My advice? Let your dog tell you when it's time. When he's no longer happy about anything, and he's struggling with no relief in sight, you'll know what to do.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:38 AM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
A while back ago I had two mini-schnauzers. They were very close in age. The female was a mess though. 13 years old, blind, deaf, and diabetic. I was going to be moving, and I thought that the move would be too much for her, so I decided to put her to sleep. That was a really tough decision, and I was a distraught for months. Fast foward to a year later. The male had aged almost overnight when the female passed away. He had gotten a bout of pnuemonia and had appeared to be recovering well though he was very weak. Then soon after, I was watchin tv with him sleeping beside me on the couch. He started to gag, and stopped breathing. I can't describe what he went through. But to me it looked painful. Thank god it only lasted seconds.
My whole point of this is that we tend to try to hang onto our beloved pets for as long as we can. If I had to do it again, I probably would have had him put to sleep when he got the pnuemonia. The vet did suggest it because of his age. The image of him dying has haunted me for years. Even though it is a very hard joice to make, you must make the choice that is best for your pet.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:27 AM
fordtrucklover94
Elder User
I had a couple of cocker spaniels that I loved, one was about 16-17 years old, turning gray, grumpy as everything, but still loved to be around us, he was partially blind, arthritis setting in, and somewhat def. He finally passed away one day, was a very sad day, but my other cocker was only 9-10, she had a couple of spots on her that the vet said were cancerous, but she was still as sweet and loving as could be, she was my dog. I went off to college, and couldn't take her with me, and about 2 months after my other dog passed, and I was gone, she basically gave up, the spots started to grow and open and bleed, she quit moving, and my parents had to put her down. It killed me because I didn't find out for a month after it was done until i went home and was like 'where is my dog'.

The way I see it is the same as everyone else here sees it, a dog will let you know when they give up, then it is time to let them go and do what is needed, it's tough, but you gotta think about their needs instead of your own. Being energetic and happy, then let them enjoy themselves and you enjoy them too. But do watch for the turning point.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 AM
websthes
Postmaster
My mom had our lab put down a couple months ago. He hadn't been eating for a few days and one morning he just didn't want to get up. Vet said he was full of tumors causing him pain. Broke her heart to say goodbye to him she was in tears when she called me with the news. He was only ten and would have lasted another few years if it hadn't been for the cancer. But we made sure every one of those years counted. Seems like only yesterday he was a pup, riding in the back of my truck, chasing groundhogs, and swimming in the creek.

My girlfriend and I just got a new puppy. Been taking him to the dog run to get him used to people and other dogs. He already goes to the front door and barks when he needs to do his business. And we just enrolled him in puppy training school. He'll be a good dog too.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
if he said it wasnt cancerous and to keep an eye on it,bring the dog to the vets...its prob bleeding because of the blockage and it has to go somewhere

i had a 6 year old springer spaniel that died of cancer,when it was time, it was time,she wasnt getting up and walking around etc..... a week or so before we had to put her down

Old 08-11-2008, 11:10 AM
oh2bnok
Senior User
You signed up with this dog years ago knowing that at some point in time her health would start to go down hill. Now you are talking about hastening the process why? Is she in pain or are you in pain? Are you considering this becuase it is becoming an extra expense and an inconvenience to tend to her needs. Stick it out and let her pass on in her home. I have two dogs getting older. Both are the same age but the wifes jack russel is diabetic(two shots a day) special food, and has cateracts on both eyes and is blind. He walks into walls and makes me feel pretty bad for him, and gets insulin shots 2x a day and it takes both of us. He Nipper will be around for quite some time still. Have I thought about putting him down, briefly but not any more. I signed onto with him many years ago and will not put him down unless he is in unbearable pain, which he is not. I also have a 11 year old bull terrier that is so abnormal inside I wonder how in the world is he still alive, but he is and going pretty strong. So these in addition to my younger ones will be around here as long as they can. I am obligated, and if at times they are inconvient I try to recall all those times they are not inconvenient.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I feel for you. I have had to put down a few of my furry best buds down over the years and its never easy.

It always seems to work out too, that they seem to be happier and healthier then ever, teh day you go to put them down, making things twice as hard.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Your dog will let you know when it is time. Until then, give all the treats you can, love the dog all the time, and continue to make memories that will sustain you when the dog has passed......................

Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,085 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Wow...that is old for a Rotty!!! Get the bleeding tail looked at and have a frank conversation with the vet to make sure the pup isn't in any pain. It's obvious that you love the dog very much...follow your heart. Do what is right for the pup!!!

From your post...I know you'll do the right thing!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:12 PM
rhw
More Turbo
Originally Posted by preppypyro
I feel for you. I have had to put down a few of my furry best buds down over the years and its never easy.

It always seems to work out too, that they seem to be happier and healthier then ever, teh day you go to put them down, making things twice as hard.
Yeah she got me on the healthier, happier one. We had an appointment to put her to sleep today at 4:30. I took the day off work, while I was getting her morning medicine together, (an anti inflammatory, a pain pill and some glucosamine / condrition for her arthritis - I grind them up and put them in some wet dog food) -she was all turning around , barking and wagging her tail. So... I canceled the appointment and made another one on Friday to try the surgery to remove the tumor. The doc wasn't optimistic about surgery because of her age and the location of it being at the base of her tail (not much extra skin to close the wound) but at least we can feel like we gave her a chance. She doesn't seem to be in any pain for right now and still seems happy. Wish us luck and we'll let you all know how it turns out. p.s. -I got approved for a "carecard" to finance the surgery, anyone familiar with this line of credit? My other option was to sell my 67 Mustang I've had for twenty years and while Iwould be willing to sell it, I had hoped to give it to one of my boys when they're old enough not to wrap it around a post!
-Thanks for all the encouragement!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
oh2bnok
Senior User
You know I feel like a heel alot of times. I know I was a little brazen in my staunch postion to stick it out. I know surgeries and other doggie treatments can be very expensive and the vets don't cut any one any slack. I just checked on the cost of the surgery foe removing cataracts and it was just prohibitive so I guess the little guy will have to toughen up a bit. However , I do feel if it starts to become a financial burden on the owner then it certainly is descision time. I know it is tough, for sure and a person goes back and forth on it. However if it comes down to it you just have to cut the loses and move on. Just curiuos if you can get around the the surgery with some daily minor type treatments, how feasible is that.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been through this many times with beloved family pets.

At some point there comes a time to ask yourself - "am I prolonging this creature's life or delaying it's demise?" Its a fine point but an important one.

Quick Reply: dog getting old...