Sponsored by: DP Tuner

FTE and a 7.3L Recommended

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
FTE and a 7.3L Recommended

I ran into a young local guy while renting a 6x12 U-Haul trailer last week. he started asking about my truck and said he was looking at a 2003 model 6.0L PSD.

I shared some of the common concerns over making that particular purchase, and when I returned the trailer two days later, he had found a 2002 7.3L, 115K on the clock, 4WD, 6-speed tranny.... $15,000. I told him to run the Carfax, get an OASIS, and then if it checked out well to take advantage of the recent fuel price increases and try to work the guy down a bit.

Before I left I gave him one of my spotter cards so he could check into the site here for more information. So if we see a newbie in here from the Birmingham area, he's probably the guy. I'm pretty sure he's new to diesels and will have some questions, too. We talked briefly about chips (DP), intakes (no K&N), and exhaust (4-inch turbo back).

Family was waiting so I had to cut the conversation rather short. When I got back in the truck, my wife asked, "What took so long and what was all that 'talking' about with the clerk?" I sort of looked at her, paused before answering, and she just rolled her eyes and said, "Oh... truck stuff, hunh?"

Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good deal Pete. Will be looking for the new guy. I told a few people about this site, but none ever came. And they drive a 7.3, they don't mind asking me questions but dont get on here.

Well I guess it's their lost.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
I know what you mean, Rick. There was one of my co-workers last year who kept asking me questions, and I helped him run through some GPR and CPS issues and then got him in touch with a decent local mechanic who kept him from unnecessarily purchasign a full set of injectors (his oil was low). He did ask questions once or twice, but just didn't seem to be interested in really digging in to everything FTE offers through our forum here. Like you said... his loss! He even contacted me again for the mechanic's name and number so he can go ahead and have a lot of work done to his truck, but he didn't want to say much about what he needs done. He's obviously got more money to spare than I do.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I've even crawled under people's hoods to lend a hand. At the end, they'll ask me how I learned about this stuff and told them to log on to FTE. I still don't see them lurking or posting questions/comments. Like yo guys said, their loss - both in time and money...

Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a buddy like that too- I tried to get him to log on here, his response was "why? I can let you do all the research and tell me what to buy!" He's a jerk though, he needs to be kicked in the jewels... lazy bum.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:05 AM
redfire42
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A buddy of mine just goes threw me for any info on the 7.3. He said he came here to read but is always busy so he would just talk to me about it. A guy I work with ( my manager ) reads on here while I am out working. Wish I could do that...

Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 PM
03_PSD
Postmaster
my friends don't get on here either and i don't know why. i find it hard not to get on here and learn and try to help!!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hopefully he'll stop buy. I get that from the wife also Pete, LOL.I tell every person that has our trucks to pop on and check us out and none yet that i can tell. I got to figure how to unload some pics from my camera to the comp but the starter went on my wifes 97 Expy about a month ago and went up to tow it on a tire dolly and me and the father in law were having a hard time pushing it on. 2 f-250 drivers(one gasser, one diesel) and a guy in a chebby pickimup got out and helped push it on the dolly. Told them about FTE and they said they would check us out, we'll see. Maybe even see a chevy guy convert to ford,lol.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I have a buddy like that too- I tried to get him to log on here, his response was "why? I can let you do all the research and tell me what to buy!" He's a jerk though, he needs to be kicked in the jewels... lazy bum.
Chase, I have a friend just like that. Last year his cps went out. I told him the problem and the solution. He still went to a mechanic, who replaced his gas pedal. And the next day, he took it back and the guy replaced the cps. Dee Da Dee

Old 08-04-2008, 06:37 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is pretty cool Pete, I don't know how many people I have talked to in my area trying to turn them on to the knowledge they can find out about there trucks. I always keep a pin and paper in the truck and I have been known to stick a few papers under the wipers . It was fun this weekend cruising the strip in gatlinburg with a couple of 7.3s trying to get a look at my DP tuner, it was really fun to see the look on there faces when I put the truck into drive thru tune . Great post pete!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jdecker88
. It was fun this weekend cruising the strip in gatlinburg with a couple of 7.3s trying to get a look at my DP tuner, it was really fun to see the look on there faces when I put the truck into drive thru tune . Great post pete!
I was one of them. LOL

Old 08-04-2008, 07:37 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
You could have some real expensive fun with him!

Remember "sand honing of the intake system"? If you guys have never read about it, this is a "hoot"!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...one-wrong.html

Or, just tell him to get a K&N.

Pop

Old 08-04-2008, 07:50 PM
greedy737
Elder User
Did my part, did the poll thing You know where the dot went 7.3!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by greedy737; 08-04-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Sorry I put this in the wrong post. Got to drink another one..
Old 08-05-2008, 12:22 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
You could have some real expensive fun with him!

Remember "sand honing of the intake system"? If you guys have never read about it, this is a "hoot"!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...one-wrong.html

Or, just tell him to get a K&N.

Pop
He's a jerk, but he's not that big of a jerk... most of the time. He's got an 00 supercab short box 4x4 with a 6 speed he bought new... every oil change done by a Ford dealer... 80,000 miles on it and it's one of the cleanest used trucks anywhere. I would think he'd want to know more about how to keep it tip top but he'd rather have me tell him. I bought my truck in Feb. and he's had his almost 9 years and he asks me stuff like "why is my truck getting harder to start when it's cold outside and smoking so much?" I sent him photos of my 6637 and he nearly hemorrhaged! I think he'll learn eventually.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:41 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya'll know what got my vote!

Pop- thanks for posting that port n polish link, man that was funny!!!

Quick Reply: FTE and a 7.3L Recommended