Oil & Lubrication  

Power Steering Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:49 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Power Steering Filter

Flushed power steering systems & installed "Magnefine" power steering fluid filters in the 94 Taurus & 99 Ranger power steering return lines this week.

Even though both systems get regular flushes when I change tranny fluid every 25-30K miles, both have suffered from the "shudders" on & off over the years & a dose of Seafoam Trans Trans Tune has always cleared it up, but I often wondered if a good fluid fiter that would remove particles might make a diffrence.

I found these Magnefine filters, they're a little pricey at $19 each, ordered from Advance Auto, but they are well made, easy to install & come with two quality hose clamps, so everything we need to install it is there. (I have seen them on the net for as little as $15)

They have a 25u filter media with a bypass valve, in case the filter cloggs, so flow isn't restricted, so we won't loose boost, or the danged filter won't explode!!!! LOL

We'll see if they have any affect on the "shudders", in case it's caused by particles circulating in the fluid.

Anyway, check them out to see if you think they may be for you.
Dual Filtration

Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice work pawpaw. Keep us posted on the shudders.

Are the Magnafine filters the same for the tranny and PS systems?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
For my trans and power steering I run the trans dapt 1028 filter base and a wix 51515 filter. The base can be bought at Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030

Old 08-03-2008, 01:57 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks paw paw, what a great idea! I will definately look into it and also Ford390's post, I beleive I just received a JEGS and Summit Racing Catalog at the beginning of the summer. Clean PS fluid helps lower the overall PS temp, plus clean fluid helps the life of the pump itself, so it's a win-win situation, all around.

I use RED LINE PS fluid in all of my vehicles, and it was the only fluid I found that quieted the chatter -- moaning (common, normal) on my Aerostar's PS unit.

Did not eliminate the sound, but it is much less noticeable now, and of course, the PS is silky-smooth and effortless.

Ed

Old 08-03-2008, 08:19 AM
pawpaw
Yup the Tranny & P/S filters are the same animal.

I suppose it would be ok to use on a tranny, as it was designed for them too, but they recommend a yearly change if used on a tranny & thats kind of expensive right now. If they get the price down I might consider trying it for my trannies.

I had considered adding a regular remote oil filter arrangement, but space is so limited in both of my rides that a remote set up was all but impossible because of space restrictions & it would be kind of overkill for a P/S system, but mighty nice for a tranny, as you could easily change the filter whenever you wanted, for a lot less than $19!!!!

Anyway the Magnefine size is just right for P/S systems, that don't make much dirt like a tranny does & it's easier to fit in those tight spaces.

BUT remember if you use it for a tranny filter, it's filter media area is much smaller than a regular oil filter, so depending on how much debris your tranny makes & it catches, yearly changes are probably a good idea, so it doesn't clogg & go into bypass.

On my AXODE & 5R55E trannies, I could probably get away with 25-30K mile changes, when I normally do my tranny fluish/pumpout, as both of these trannies don't make much in the way of deposits. The magnet in the Magnefine would probably get loaded up pretty good, but it's about the same size as the one in those trannies anyway & they aren't heavily loaded at the 30K mile service.

If the Magnefine folded filter media pluggs up with tranny debris, it'll just go into by-pass, (like a engine oil filter), but the magnet still continues to grab ferrous debris.

It's really not a bad idea & seems to be pretty well thought out & executed, as quality seems good, it's small & light enough to easily & quickly install, we'll see as time passes!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran the Magnefine filter-inline with my 1998 Toyota tacoma 4x4 in the P/S system and automatic transmission
changed them every 25 K miles and never had any serious issues
used Mobile 1 ATF in both systems

going to install them in my 02 F-350 very soon

Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by toyota hauler
I ran the Magnefine filter-inline with my 1998 Toyota tacoma 4x4 in the P/S system and automatic transmission
changed them every 25 K miles and never had any serious issues
used Mobile 1 ATF in both systems

going to install them in my 02 F-350 very soon
Thats interesting feedback.

Ever cut a used one open to see what it trapped, or to see how it held up over the OCI?????

Since starting this thread, I've learned from my Dealership Service Manager, that they install the Magnafine filter on transmissions.

I looked up ford390gashog's trans dapt TRD-1028 remote filter adapter from Summit Racing & note that it's only $12.95 & will take a FL-1A filter.

Here is a link for all kinds of remote filter mounts & the TRD-1028 is at the top of the list.
Oil Filter Mounts - summitracing.com

So if we have room up front for that size mounting & filter, we could add a "return" inline remote Power Steering &/or Tranny fluid filter for less than the Magnafine filter & it would add about 1 qt capacity to the system, plus with a really good quality oil filter media like the FL-1A, do a very good job of keeping the tranny or power steering fluids cleaner.

Problem for most of us might be the lack of mounting space for the remote system & thats where the Magnafine sorta fits in, as it's smaller & a little easier to install, but if filtering ability is desired with lower maintenance costs & you want to add some system fluid capacity, the remote oil filter mount wins hands down.

More fluid filtering thoughts & possbilities for pondering.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:29 AM
pawpaw
Bump/Update

Originally Posted by Rockledge
Nice work pawpaw. Keep us posted on the shudders.

Are the Magnafine filters the same for the tranny and PS systems?
Update:

Well it's been close to a year now, that I cleaned & flushed the P/S systems & added Magnefine filters to the power steering system return lines on my 99 Ranger & 94 Taurus & both are doing well.

The shudders seem to have taken a hike so far & the P/S pump on the Taurus is even quieter than it got after I flushed the system with Seafoam Trans Tune.

It's so quiet now that you have to stand right by the passenger side front fender & listen closely to hear it's slight whine.
Before cleaning & adding the filter, you could hear it 50 feet away!!!!

So it seems, at least for my P/S systems, even though they were getting regular fluid flushes every 25-30K miles when I flushed the transmissions, that maybe the "shudders" while turning, or momentary loss of P/S boost & the noisy Taurus pump, were caused by deposits & or particles circulating in the system & maybe the Seafoam Trans Tune cleaned the deposits & the Magnefine filter has/is taking any remaining sludge, or particles out of the re-circulating fluid.

Anyway, if any of you are suffering noisy P/S pumps, or intermittent acting out/shuddering/loosing boost on your P/S system, maybe consider giving the system a good internal cleaning, by running a half can dose of Seafoam Trans Tune in the fluid until things straighten up, or quiet down, then thoroughly flush the system with the remainder of your TransTune & a couple of qts of new tranny fluid, then add a Magnefine filter to the P/S return line to keep the P/S fluid clean, as I have.

It's easy to do if you'll raise the front wheels so they can be turned lock to lock, remove the P/S return line at the cooler to drain the pump reservoir, then plug the hose to the pump reservoir & add a piece of scrap hose to the P/S cooler, the other end in your catch container.

Top off the pump reservoir with the remainder of your TransTune & new fluid, then disable the fuel pump so the engine won't run, by thumping/tripping the in cabin inertia switch, or pull it's electrical connector, or pull the fuel pumps under hood power relay, or the fuse to it.

Then have an assistant crank the engine & slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock while you keep the P/S pump reservoir topped up with new fluid, so as not to get air bubbles in the system.

After the flush, add the Magnfine filter in the disconnected P/S pump return line at the cooler & reconnect the return line to the cooler, top off the pump reservoir, replace the P/S pump fluid cap, re-enable the fuel pump & start the engine & have the helper turn the steering wheel lock to lock about 10-15 times to bleed any air out of the system.

Stop the engine & recheck the P/S fluid level & top off if necessary.

DON'T leave the P/S pump fluid cap off, during the deairing cycles, because if you did let the fluid get low during the flush cycle & have gotten air in the system, those air bubbles are under high pressure, so when it gets back to the low pressure side of the pump reservoir, it'll POP/Burp/Spit up & you'll get a facial along with P/S fluid all over the engine & the under side of the hood!!!!
Don't ask how I know this!!!! lol
BUT I had my safety glasses on, so wear yours too, Anytime your working on a pressurized system!!!!

Anyway if you have a noisy, or acting out P/S system, before throwing parts at it, maybe consider giving it a good internal cleaning & flush with new fluid & for preventative maintenance maybe consider adding a Magnefine, or a like filter to the system to keep it clean & see how it goes for you.

Kinda a long winded post, but maybe it'll prove positive & encourage someone having problems like mine, to take action!!!!

EDIT: To answer Rockledges question about the Magnefine filters, Yes the P/S & Transmission filters are the same. You can get Magnefine's with different sized molded on hose barb fittings for different sized fluid lines, so their P/N will be diferent that way.

The Magnefine filter comes with two stainless hose clamps, so all we have to do is section the low pressure fluid line by the length of the Magnefine filters ribbed body, to fit it in.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM
pawpaw
Bump: Update

Well it's been 3 years now that I did a power steering flush & added Magnefine inline filters to the 94 Taurus & 99 Rangers power steering return lines at the cooler & both systems are still shudder free!!!!

The Taurus P/S pump is still quiet also, so I can only surmise that the inline filter is removing something that the systems didn't like, as the shudders would have normally returned long before now, as they were before, with just a fluid flush & before the addition of the inline filter.

So, again, anyone out there with a noisy P/S pump, or acting out intermittent boost, off center shudder, ect, on their P/S system, I'd suggest considering a good detergent flush with something like SeaFoam Trans Tune & a couple of qts of a quality, specified, licensed, tranny fluid & the addition of a quality inline filter, if your system doesn't already have one, before throwing parts at the problem!!!!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:52 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
In the 2-3 changes that you have done, have you yet cut the filter apart to see what, if anything, is in there?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 AM
pawpaw
I only added the inline filter about 3 years ago & have yet to put 30-35 K on the vehicles, so no fluid flush since the filter installation, so no I haven't cut those puppies open yet, but I sure intend to when I change them out on the next home fluid flush service & I'll update this thread on the findings.

The fluid still looks, feels, smells & passes it's "poor mans oil analisis blotter test"!!! lol
Edit: Poor Mans Oil Analisis Link http://themotoroilsite.com/phpbb/vie....php?f=9&t=980

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
I'll be watching...thanks! Reps to you!.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 AM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never had shuttering with my ranger PS pump but it was always extremely noisy. After about 120,000 miles, I drained the mercon from the PS and installed a synthetic MERCON compatible ATF and the noise went away.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:10 PM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by BPofMD
In the 2-3 changes that you have done, have you yet cut the filter apart to see what, if anything, is in there?
This isn't my Magnefine filter, but here are photos of one opened up that has been on a tranny. [Cut Open] Magnefine with 23,000 miles - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Quick Reply: Power Steering Filter