Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ran fine, 1.5 hour later, no start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...seven days since I had it towed to the dealership. Being parnoid, I called everyday to check on Ole Blue and even went by Friday afternoon because my confused, idiot service advisor told me that Doc had my truck torn apart and that he was working on it. Needless to say I went straight down to see why my (mechanically sound) truck was torn apart and talked with Doc (the mechanic). Idiot boy-wonder (sevice advisor) had my truck confused with someone else's 6.0L truck! Oh... I was pissed! Doc had just started diagnosing and testing mine. The delay was all the 6.0L trucks ahead of me, anyway, he was doing some preliminary checks of my oil system beftween waiting for parts to show up for the 6.0L trucks. He said he would go as fast as he could. So...the weekend goes by slowly, I go all day today at work without calling, thinking that he would call me when he's done. At 3:55pm I could'nt stand it, I had to call.
My Idiot boy-wonder answered the phone and know who I was right off the bat and said that my truck was fixed and that he had some bad news...................................... my stomach sank! He then proceeded to tell me that my truck got broken into the night before!!!!!!!He said they shattered the window but looks like nothing was stolen. I almost threw-up! They don't know what was in the truck, how do they know nothing was stolen! Between me cussing him, I did hear him say that my new window will be in tomorrow and they will have my window tint replaced. I asked him why did did'nt get a call about this and he said that they have been very busy....I stopped him right there and said that I would deal with him when I get there in the morning or this afternoon if I could get there and hung up the phone!!!!
My two younglings had school orientations at 5:00pm, at two different schools and at the same time! Frustration does'nt even come close to explain what I was going thru!

Oh by the way, the problem was the IPR!!!

Needless to say, an atom bomb is going off at the dealership, there is going to be an ars-chewing RAMPAGE in the morning with the idiot boy-wonder (service advisor), the service manager and the dealership manager!!!
One of my coworkers is going to accompany me just in case I get midevil on someone that smarts off or says the wrong thing. This was the very reason I moved out of that town 12 years ago, because of the er, infestation and crime!!! I hate a f#@!in thief, aaaarrrrggggggg!!!!!!!!!! Hate em!!!!!
I will fill you guys in on the results when I get a chance.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Man Chris. All I can say is Whooosah.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
I got the call from Chris about 4:15pm today with the report of what had happened. MAD aint the word for how my boy was feeling. I know I was really no help, other than a buddy to vent to.
WE have made a resolve that if either of our trucks break down they will not be left at a shop again. Our trusted mechanic (Doc) who really knows PSDs in and out and will shoot with you straight moved from the dealership here in Prattville to the dealer in Montgomery. I am glad for him, it was a better deal for him, but, he has now lost two customers. None of which is his fault (he truly is a great mechanic, and will take the time to explain something ,or let you watch and never say that you are bothering him)
Chris' truck was in a fenced enclosure behind the diesel bays. this dealer is on a VERY busy main thoroughfare, and is well lighted, BUT it is the border for the bad side of town. If you travel across the street from the dealership they hand you a gun and just charge you for the bullets you use when you come back through.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
I got the call from Chris about 4:15pm today with the report of what had happened. MAD aint the word for how my boy was feeling. I know I was really no help, other than a buddy to vent to.
WE have made a resolve that if either of our trucks break down they will not be left at a shop again. Our trusted mechanic (Doc) who really knows PSDs in and out and will shoot with you straight moved from the dealership here in Prattville to the dealer in Montgomery. I am glad for him, it was a better deal for him, but, he has now lost two customers. None of which is his fault (he truly is a great mechanic, and will take the time to explain something ,or let you watch and never say that you are bothering him)
Chris' truck was in a fenced enclosure behind the diesel bays. this dealer is on a VERY busy main thoroughfare, and is well lighted, BUT it is the border for the bad side of town. If you travel across the street from the dealership they hand you a gun and just charge you for the bullets you use when you come back through.
Make you wonder how often this happens. If they had half a brain they would install a camera system connected to a DVR. I have installed a few and the are not that expensive.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350

Brandon, are you allowing this to go to the shop?

How are you going to sleep tonight Chris?
I must now quote myself.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
I must now quote myself.
He hasnt slept very well for the last week.
We still have one more hurdle to overcome, but if this problem presents itself we can handle it at home.

When the truck was towed from Prattville to Montgomery last Monday, I happend to be on the same interstae and saw it being towed. Here is the problem. it was being towed on a standard tow truck, backwards. Not a roll back, but a regular old tow truck that lifted the rear tires off the ground and away she went. Now, Chris has stacks, turnouts. I know Chris didnt think of it, and after seeing it towed I know the tow driver didnt think of it, but those stacks act like air catching funnels. I am worried that at 55mph for 15 miles enough air may have gotten to the turbo to make it freespin in reverse (with no oil being supplied to the bearings). We may be doing a bearing replacement on Chris' turbo in the future. But thats O.K. I know a guy who did it and did a write up on it somewhere on here.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:01 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
If hes married, then thats enough explanation for why he needs a new one, ball bearing even haha.

If he doesnt need a reason to explain that to the wife, in theory, it shouldnt have had virtually any flow through the turbo, because the cylinders are on the other side, and wouldnt allow air to flow though, unless one was a the point that the exhaust valve was open, and even at that point, airflow would be so minimal because the intake valve would be closed, and flow accross the turbine would be in the wrong rotation, Id be very surprised if the turbo spun even a half turn. Atleast the way I would think things would work.

He hasnt slept very well for the last week.
We still have one more hurdle to overcome, but if this problem presents itself we can handle it at home.

When the truck was towed from Prattville to Montgomery last Monday, I happend to be on the same interstae and saw it being towed. Here is the problem. it was being towed on a standard tow truck, backwards. Not a roll back, but a regular old tow truck that lifted the rear tires off the ground and away she went. Now, Chris has stacks, turnouts. I know Chris didnt think of it, and after seeing it towed I know the tow driver didnt think of it, but those stacks act like air catching funnels. I am worried that at 55mph for 15 miles enough air may have gotten to the turbo to make it freespin in reverse (with no oil being supplied to the bearings). We may be doing a bearing replacement on Chris' turbo in the future. But thats O.K. I know a guy who did it and did a write up on it somewhere on here.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Sheesh, I hope it ain't so.

EDIT: I concur with Speedy after some thought. Doubt there was a problem there.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:17 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Sheesh, I hope it ain't so.

EDIT: I concur with Speedy after some thought. Doubt there was a problem there.
I suspect Speedy is right(I sure hope so).

Chris is married, and his wife speaks PSD, sooo there would be no slipping one by her. She would say "well yall just rebuild his turbo." (Chris has a van turbo also, and his wife has seen my write up on rebuilding it)

Old 08-05-2008, 06:22 AM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i told you so
Originally Posted by PETE'S_7.3PSD
i think it sounds like you might ned new IPR. i had the same problem my ICP was low, and you can crank till you kill the starter.
time for new ipr. let us know what you found.
Joey from TE has them ......
glad you got it fixed Chris. but boy the story that went with it was somthing ealse, i had a sanking stomach. go get the idiot at the dealership.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru

his wife speaks PSD

Quote of the day right there haha

Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE_F350
Sorry to hear of your problems. Did you happen to find out if it was Brandon's debris stuck in the IPR from the HPOP evac, or was it just some strange coincidence?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Edit: post deleted by me. I saw where you were going Chris and I apologize.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6
Sorry to hear of your problems. Did you happen to find out if it was Brandon's debris stuck in the IPR from the HPOP evac, or was it just some strange coincidence?
Chris, the idea of debris is still out there, with everything else that has gone on with Chris' truck (the break in, and todays developments which I will let him explain). We (neither, him or I), have not even got to see the old IPR, or really even talk to Doc.
Now bear with me, My theory of debris getting in there was not solely based on the things that might build up in the bottom of the resevoir, but I also was thinking about particles that may have fallen in when the level plug was pulled. As clean as Chris' engine bay is, we all know that gunk can and will form around that plug, and when the plug is removed it could fall in. Chris did change his HPOP oil 4 times (yeah, he's a little OCD, but he's still my buddy) so it could also have been something that had settled in the bottom of the HPOP resevior. There was a drill motor pump involved (may have been a shard of plastic from manufaturing) at one point there was a turkey baster type pump involved too. Who knows? There are many variables, and few constants. I dont think we will be able to definatively say what caused it.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
OK!!!!! Ole Blue is home!!!!!!!!! This has been the worst experience of customer service I have ever had! They actually tried to get me to contact my insurance company to replace the broken window, that did'nt happen! $940 was the total, which included towing, for an IPR replacement!!!!!!!!!! I know, I know, I got bent over, there is not doubt about that! Never again will my truck go back to a stealership, EVER!
Well, the only things stolen were the kids DVD players we had strapped to the back of the driver and passenger seats. We got them from Walmart a few years ago so it was'nt that big of a deal, my pride, feelings and patience took the worst hit of this situation. Not to mention alot more expensive than I thought!
I do have possesion of my old IPR, so Brandon and I are going to disect and clean it to see why it failed. You live and learn I guess...pretty painful learning curve if you ask me!

Quick Reply: Ran fine, 1.5 hour later, no start!