Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4WD Launch

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 PM
tholt34
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4WD Launch

Any of you guys that have been to the track. When you launch in 4wd can you shift the truck back to 2wd. Will it actually shift out of 4wd or b/c its under power just stay in 4wd? Just curious.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It'll stay in 4wd. Theres so much torque on everything that it wont unlock till you let off the throttle. Besides, thats one more distraction while you're speeding down the strip. Just remember to take it out before you turn at the end.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I have tested the 2 by 4 by thing but on a manual select setup. If you have ESOF, don't bother as you run the risk of braking stuff shifting it and I don't think it will anyway. Besides, the 4by was faster. This on the 1/8 strip but I wonder if I might do a bit better in the 2by on the 1/4. There are now some serious traction issues in 2wd so I don't know. Others will chime in.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
4wd all the way down the track. That's what everyone else does, including the big boys.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In 2wd, when I hit 15# boost, my rear tires start breaking loose. I can boost to 10# then hammer it and my tires will start spinning. I have to feather the throttle in order not to spin the tires in 2wd.

In 4wd, I can boost to 20# then let off the brake and it will launch like a scalded dog. I have had people tell me a dually is not supposed to be able to do this. Well, I tell them a stock one can't.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
IMHO,the time that you make up in the 60 ft by being having the added traction that being in 4wd allows, more than offsets the loss of time at the top due to any added friction from the drive train.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 AM
tholt34
Senior User
Thanks for the info guys. At what boost do you guys launch your truck in 4WD. I have only ran my truck 3 times and the last time i ran it, i launched it at about 8 lbs. of boost. What is the normal? What is kinda the safe side without worrying about breaking anything?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:35 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The big thing you have to worry about is building boost and waiting for too long. The PCM will read the boost and see that the tires aren't moving and go into a limp mode. It happened to Kris when we were at smokin'. Don't sit there for more than 5-7 seconds. As far as what boost number to leave at, it all depends on the traction you are getting. It will vary by track conditions, and how sticky your tires are. You are gonna have to play with it.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tholt34
Thanks for the info guys. At what boost do you guys launch your truck in 4WD. I have only ran my truck 3 times and the last time i ran it, i launched it at about 8 lbs. of boost. What is the normal? What is kinda the safe side without worrying about breaking anything?

I posted my boost #'s in my previous post. I have not broken anything yet, but in 4wd I boost to 20#. I don't know the norm for this, just what I do.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tholt34
I've launched with 12 once (thats the highest it would go sitting there). That was basically me standing on the brake and about 2/3 throttle IIRC. As soon as I let off the brake, I went full throttle. Any kind of boost launch is hard on the tranny. If you're doing this often, make sure you have a good cooler (which you do) and keep an eye on the fluid to make sure you dont cook it. Oh, and dont be surprised if you break something some day

Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by twags6
I've launched with 12 once (thats the highest it would go sitting there). That was basically me standing on the brake and about 2/3 throttle IIRC. As soon as I let off the brake, I went full throttle. Any kind of boost launch is hard on the tranny. If you're doing this often, make sure you have a good cooler (which you do) and keep an eye on the fluid to make sure you dont cook it. Oh, and dont be surprised if you break something some day
Slinging the front driveshaft and aerating the oil pan are my biggest fears.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by HKusp
The big thing you have to worry about is building boost and waiting for too long. The PCM will read the boost and see that the tires aren't moving and go into a limp mode. It happened to Kris when we were at smokin'. Don't sit there for more than 5-7 seconds.
Is that what he told you?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HKusp
The big thing you have to worry about is building boost and waiting for too long. The PCM will read the boost and see that the tires aren't moving and go into a limp mode.
Just a small correction here...you need to worry about building RPM too long, not boost. The PCM will see the engine has RPM but not see any speed on the output shaft of the trans. After a short time, the PCM sees this difference as an error, that the speed sensor on the output shaft is not working. This can actually cause the truck to shift into 2nd gear even though it's not moving. This is from Brian (of BTS), after I asked him about it becaus it happened to me and I had no idea what it was. I've also seen a few torque converters take a dump during that time of extended RPM with no movement.

What I do that has worked well for me is to wait for both sets of the staging lights to become lit on both sides. As soon as the last bottom set gets lit, whether it's you or the other person, then put the throttle down while holding the brake. As soon as the third yellow light comes on, release the brake and floor the throttle. This will minimize the time that you're having RPM's up with no movement. Using this exact technique, I was cutting low 0.5's on a 0.500 tree last summer.

The above is assuming you're running heads up, and not a bracket race where you might have a delay. If you're bracket racing and you're the quicker truck, you'll have to plan for the delay. In bracket racing, consistency is the key, so if you're in a bracket race, just try to be consistent...like not hitting the throttle until the first yellow lights. Sure, your boost may not be up as much as possible for the hardest launch, but it will be consistent, which is what you'd be after in that case.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 PM
tholt34
Senior User
Thanks for the info guys, i'll play with it some more next time i go to the track.