1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

conveting old linkage to cable system

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Pfeifferj
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
conveting old linkage to cable system

I am wanting to convert my gas pedal to a cable system for a 1bbl carb. Its a 56 ford f100 223 L6. Im sure quite a bit of people here have done it in there trucks, and im wanting to know how they did it. Does anyone know if they sell kits for doing this, ive been looking but havent found anything, or will i have to be making my own brackets? Pics would help me out if anyone has any of there cable systems or just some good ol pointer would do.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Throttle linkage

I'm in the process of connecting my pedal to the throttle; '90 EFI 302. I'm using stock style pedal connected to the bracket and cable from the Crown Vic donor. I had the hanging pedal from an Explorer but didn't care for the look. Lokar makes all linkage cables, but I've heard their a bit pricey. You should be able to get something from 70's or 80's carb setup.

Tom

Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 AM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
Theres a place making clones now of the high dollar Lokar setups, its called Spectre.
IM waiting on one to arrive for my 302/c4
I wanted to use the old pedal and rod setup but after scratching y head and holding three gas pedals and about four different linkage setups on the firewall and under the dash I cant come up with a way to do it so I found Spectre.
I searched and came up with this company SFX Performance Parts and Auto Accessories - Est 1997
They had the best prices, they even beat Jeggs.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Pfeifferj
Freshman User
I see these are for 2bbl and 4bbl, but would it still fit on my 1bbl?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:05 PM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
Not sure I dont have mine yet. I would say your going to have to modify something. The bracket or which side it mounts to.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
First you have to determine which direction the throttle arm on the carb must move, does the linkage need to pull or push? A cable works best in tension (pulling) so if yours needs a push you'll need a bellcrank and a solid rod at the carb to push the arm. Next you need to determine how far the linkage must move to go from idle to full throttle (the throw). Are you wanting to use the stock gas pedal? I'd guess no if you want to change the linkage. Next you will need to buy/make/modify a pedal to produce the right amount of throw in the right direction at the pedal. A quick trip thru your local salvage yard should produce a pedal you like that can be used or modified, and a lot of late model cars use cable throttle linkage you could modify as well. Grab any pulleys, bellcranks and attachment hardware off your donor as well. From there it's a pretty simple job to rig it all up.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Pfeifferj
Freshman User
well the way im looking at this linkage kit im not sure if it will work. the throttle arm on my carb pretty much needs to lift up not push or pull

Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Then you would need to change the throttle arm shape so it would operate by pulling, rig a bellcrank to change the direction, or make a bracket that would point the cable in the right direction at the carb. If it can be moved with solid linkage it can be moved with a cable, it just might be easier to use solid linkage tho. If I knew more about what you are trying to accomplish by using a cable I could provide more specifics on how it might be done.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Pfeifferj
Freshman User
well the only problem im having with the original linkage is getting it to fit right. it is a ball that goes on the throttle arm and then to a small bracket that has a ball keeper on it. and then that attaches to a peice bolted to the manifold that rock backwards when u hit the accelorator. it would be easier to keep what i got but i cant get it to work right. push the throttle too far and the keeper pops off the ball.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
I have a edelbrock 600 cfm carb on my 351w installed in my 56 f100 and a stock (repop from mid fifty) accelerator pedal and linkage ( had to rework part of the linkage to make it align with carb). I replaced the solid rod (from carb to pedal linkage) with a cable from lokar ( it's your toy so it costs a little more to go first class) it works great. I have had this arrangement for about 6 yrs with no problems.

Chuck

Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Pfeifferj
well the only problem im having with the original linkage is getting it to fit right. it is a ball that goes on the throttle arm and then to a small bracket that has a ball keeper on it. and then that attaches to a peice bolted to the manifold that rock backwards when u hit the accelorator. it would be easier to keep what i got but i cant get it to work right. push the throttle too far and the keeper pops off the ball.
Sure the linkage ball and keeper are meant to go together and are not severely worn? The keeper should snap quite solidly over the ball, you should not be able to pull it off easily with your fingers. The piece on the manifold is likely a bellcrank to change the direction of the linkage movement. Another reason for the linkage to pop off is it binding against the arm or bellcrank at full throttle because the linkage is installed at an angle. Could the bellcrank be mounted backwards so the linkage is at an angle? Sometimes the linkage shaft may need a Z bend in it to line up parallel. Last resort it might need a throttle stop on the linkage or pedal to stop it from going past full throttle and popping off?