Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Sorry Guys!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
94F250TD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Guys!!!!

Hey guys just thought i would let you no. Ive had my IDI for almost 4 years and it's been a good truck but with the prices of fuel and the ride quality i decided it was time for something newer! So last week end i went down and bought me a 2002 Ram 2500 Cummins!!!!!! I tell ya what it is amazing on all the power i thought my old IDI had, this cummins on quarter throttle was like full throtte in my IDI!!!!! And cruising down the interstate at 75 with the a/c on i get 23 MPG So i will no longer be the owner of a ford so i just thought i'd let u no. and if anyone is interested in switching i would say do it you wont be dissappointed and the ride quality is day and night compared to the old ford!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
I don't have anything against the cummins, 6 years ago, I came close to buying one but it was more expensive at the time and couldn't afford it. It wouldn't bother me nowto buy one, my brother just bought an 07 dodge 2500 cummins crew cab and I like it. My parents used to have one before the 2000 Ford storker.
I Kinda like this IDI also because Very few others Have one. I only know 1 person with one of the IDIs. Every one and their dad seems to have a cummins so having an IDI is somewhat.... different. No hard feelings from me though.. Good luck

Old 07-07-2008, 06:41 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Good luck with the Dodge but don't be a stranger here.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 PM
bc6.9
Elder User
Well I don't what the prices of trucks down there are like, but up here in BC, the prices of trucks of new/used trucks have come down to HUGE!

If I didn't have so much time and money in mine....I'd get one in a flash!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 94F250TD
Hey guys just thought i would let you no. Ive had my IDI for almost 4 years and it's been a good truck but with the prices of fuel and the ride quality i decided it was time for something newer! So last week end i went down and bought me a 2002 Ram 2500 Cummins!!!!!! I tell ya what it is amazing on all the power i thought my old IDI had, this cummins on quarter throttle was like full throtte in my IDI!!!!! And cruising down the interstate at 75 with the a/c on i get 23 MPG So i will no longer be the owner of a ford so i just thought i'd let u no. and if anyone is interested in switching i would say do it you wont be dissappointed and the ride quality is day and night compared to the old ford!
So what kind of tail wind did ya have?

Be sure to average the MPGs over a longer time to get a real picture of what you are getting. Did you calculate 4L gallons or 3.78L gallons? (don't believe the MPG meter if it has one)

You probably don't want to know what the cost of an injector or PCM is, so I won't spoil your honeymoon, just don't buy anything newer than 2006/2007 or you WILL REGRET IT!!!!!!

Looking at your signature, It seems kind of strange that your old ford was not getting good economy. A 7.3 turbo IDI with a ZF usually can break 20 MPG.

Oh well, hope your new truck serves you well.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Just don't come crying to us when the lift pump on your ram takes a crap

My brother has an '01 and he loves it. I can't say much, I'd probably own a 12V if I coulda found one that wasn't overpriced or ragged-out junk.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
One of the guys at work just replaced 4000 dollars worth of injectors in his 03 so it would start.

I can build a whole motor that will run right with that Dodge for that price.

Average out three tanks of fuel using miles divided by gallons.

Now tell me you are getting 23 MPG.

I drive a 2000 and a 2003 Dodge to many times and check the MPG the real way.
What that meter says and what the numbers say is always different, by a bunch.
20 on the overhead, 14 at the pumps.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
I think I'll keep my mouth shut.............for now.
LOL

Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
S.P.
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by Dodge/Cummins
I think I'll keep my mouth shut.............for now.
LOL
I know you will enjoy it. and good luck! for some reson I just cant seem to get my self to buy a dodge....I know that have a cummins eng. and dodge makes as good a truck as any...but you goota realize Ive allways owned chevys.....my dad always owned chevys....and just getting my self to buy a ford was hard enuff....2nd ford is my idi and I love it.... just wish I bought it sooner... I know baby steps...baby steps...!! LOL !!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
OK..... I gotta atleast say I'm impressed that no one has come on here and said "you big idiot!!!!!"

Notice I said IMPRESSED not SUPRISED. I've said it a hundred times, well maybe 30, there's a great bunch of guys on here.

I prefer the earlier mechanical Cummins but only for the simplicity and "home mechanic" aspect, the newer motors have very few problems even with the computer stuff. There's always exceptions to point out but there's a lot of guys who have had zero problems with their 24Vs.
I whole hartedly agree to stay away from the 6.7L there is WAY TOO MUCH emissions crap on them, Powerstrokes and Duramaxes are even worse if you ask me but that's the radical greenies and gov't's fault not the manufacturers'.

Just for the record I really like my IDI.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 AM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
I don't know, 14 sounds kinda low for an 03 cummins. My brothers 06 (i said it was an 07 eairlyer but was wrong) gets about 20 mpg on the highway and runs great. He did put a programer on and now his transmission is slipping from too much power. He returned it to stock and is driving it the way it is but any day it will give up. He will be headed to afganistan or Iraq in 2 weeks so when He gets back in a few months will be puttin a tranny in.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
My brother's got a tuner on his '01 Ram, and is running 285/75R16 mud tires and said he still gets 19 mpg highway.

I know mine won't do that good.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad has a 93 Dodge 12 Valve that runs so good, well it runs good but the body is falling apart, typical old dodge, that I bought a 97 Dodge 12 valve, it would outpull my dadas 01 Powerstroke big time, but the transmission wwent out, and when I replaced it it still wouldn't do right, so I just sold it because I didn't want to deal with it any longer, I've been looking, and would like to have another one, however, those 97s aren't near as easy to work on as a 93, there is way less room under the hood, even though they are almost as simple.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
You wouldn't believe how good of shape my '91 is in, it's never been garaged and I get compliments all the time on it. I have just KEPT it in good shape, I see a lot them that have been rode hard and put away wet, once things get beat-up people have a tendency to not care anymore. Also in '81 and atleast through '93 Dodge galvanized all of their truck bodies.
I don't think one brand necessarilly falls apart faster than another but I would give Ford the edge from the '70s on up for putting up with abuse. I think only the Internationals had tougher bodies in the '70s. Dodge and GM sure used light sheetmetal. '80 up Dodges are a lot better than the '72-'79 models.

AndysFords,
The '94-up Dodges have half of the engine under the dash, I would assume the '99-up SuperDuty does too but I've never really looked.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
Just don't come crying to us when the lift pump on your ram takes a crap

My brother has an '01 and he loves it. I can't say much, I'd probably own a 12V if I coulda found one that wasn't overpriced or ragged-out junk.
Wow. Some people still stuck on the VP44 which hasn't been used since 2002.5

Quick Reply: Sorry Guys!!!!