1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Panel truck windows?????

Old 07-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Panel truck windows?????

Hey guys, I'd like a little help in the photoshop area. Can some of you cats put some windows in a panel truck and let me see if I really want to do it or not? I know it dont look as good with windows, but there are so many blind spots in one of them. I havent never driven one yet, but I am workin on my '56. The vehicle I have thought about taken the side windows out of is a '86 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon or a 2 door Jeep Cherokee '89 or so model?

Truthfully I do like them alot without windows and a really cool logo on that area, but I am very worried about all the blind spots. I did think about having a camera on the rear of the truck mounted high and a tv in the dash? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:47 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
No photoshop help here just an opinion. Dont do the window(s). I would go the small camera and monitor route first. Working in the salvage yard part time I see the newer vehicle with the park assist that let you know if something is behind you. I am sure it is a sensor bumper mounted that detects obstructions. I was thinking possibly a guy could mount a small photo eye or camera on the inside of the rear bumper on each corner or at least the passenger side and make a center console with a monitor or even just a light to detect when someone is there in your blindside. Another possibly is your upper drip rail just a small eye that could be aimed down the side of the panel. Just my .02 call me goofy and crazy but the glass I dont think would look right.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
just an opinion. Dont do the window(s).

Old 07-04-2008, 07:33 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd put a monbak horn on it before putting windows in.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:45 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I have 5"X7" mirrors with a 3" convex mirror in the lower inside corner. It seems to work pretty good. I drove my panel without any mirrors, just up and down the country road I live on, no houses. I told my wife it was like driving with a 5 gallon bucket over your head with a slot cut in the front to see through. I though the cab in my '49 F-2 had blind spots, nothing like the panel though.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:34 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
this get ya in the ballpark?

Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I'd put a monbak horn on it before putting windows in.
Learn something everyday, I didn't know that Monbak's had horns!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:44 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The panel's sides are so flat that, if you have decent size outside mirrors like I do, you can easily judge the space behind you. I have these aftermarket rectangular mirrors, about 6x9 or so.

If you aren't sure about backing into something, just tie a cat to the back bumper and keep the window down!

: )

Old 07-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Red face

Originally Posted by tacson
No photoshop help here just an opinion. Dont do the window(s). I would go the small camera and monitor route first. Working in the salvage yard part time I see the newer vehicle with the park assist that let you know if something is behind you. I am sure it is a sensor bumper mounted that detects obstructions. I was thinking possibly a guy could mount a small photo eye or camera on the inside of the rear bumper on each corner or at least the passenger side and make a center console with a monitor or even just a light to detect when someone is there in your blindside. Another possibly is your upper drip rail just a small eye that could be aimed down the side of the panel. Just my .02 call me goofy and crazy but the glass I dont think would look right.
I agree Donald, I really hate the thought of the windows, I just want to be able to drive the thing and NOT hit anyone. I almost clipped a biker on the way to PF this last time in my pickup. He came up on a blindspot and it got me very worried about driving the panel. As for parking and such,I'd just pull into places where I can pull straight out of, or have someone spot me to back up into place.

I have a killer idea for my logo and really want to do it and NOT install the windows. Donald do you have any good sources of camera's and ideas in that area? I am interested, and not anywhere near that point yet, but would love to have some ideas to ponder in the meantime.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

I dont go back to the yard until Wednesday. I will definitely look into. There has got to be a form of motion/obstruction sensor or camera that is very small in size that you can mount either on the backside of the rear bumper or on the front eye brow to detect the presence of a vehicle. I just thought of something> You know Mid 50's sells that wide angle convex stick on mirror for about $10. I have one on my 55. That in combination with the 1 longer arm would probably greatly increase your passenger side view driving a panel.
One of the Music City F100 club members, Jim Crowder, has the smaller high mounted peep mirrors on his. He has traveled in it quite a bit with no problems except when backing up.

1954 Ford F100 Panel Side View Photo

I will scope out the yard though.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monbaks don't have horns, they were replaced by horns that I call monbak horns out of respect for them.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Talking

Originally Posted by tacson
I dont go back to the yard until Wednesday. I will definitely look into. There has got to be a form of motion/obstruction sensor or camera that is very small in size that you can mount either on the backside of the rear bumper or on the front eye brow to detect the presence of a vehicle. I just thought of something> You know Mid 50's sells that wide angle convex stick on mirror for about $10. I have one on my 55. That in combination with the 1 longer arm would probably greatly increase your passenger side view driving a panel.
One of the Music City F100 club members, Jim Crowder, has the smaller high mounted peep mirrors on his. He has traveled in it quite a bit with no problems except when backing up.

1954 Ford F100 Panel Side View Photo

I will scope out the yard though.

Hey Donald, is that Jim's panel in the first pic? I took lots of pics of it at the show this last time. I think it's awsome. It's very ahead of it's time, I like the slanted chop and all!!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I've owned several panel vans and now the 56 panel. If your outside morrors are adjusted properly you won't have any blind spots to worry about. Unless you form recesses that match the front and rear windows and size them to match, side windows will look stuck on, like vans in the 70s or RVs IMHO. AFA backing up, it's no different than a large pickup or van, you walk behind the vehicle and check out the space behind before getting in, then back up slowly checking your mirrors as you go. It becomes natural very quickly, and you are a lot more subconsciously aware of where the corners are of your vehicle than you think you are.
You can buy a wireless rear view camera and monitor that the (tiny, < 1" square) camera and mount replaces your license plate frame for < 100.00, I have seen them at Sam's Club or Costco (can't remember which) for ~ 60.00. They work very well. For a bit more you can even get them with a monitor that clips onto or is premounted in a replacement sun visor or can work with multiple cameras. I'm putting one on my pickup pointed at the hitch to aid in hitching the trailer without the aid of a "navigator" with directing batons.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:22 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Terry yeah the green panel is Crowder's as we call him in Middle TN. The system AXracer mentioned is exactly what I was talking about. All you need is an "eye" to let you know something is there BEFORE you pull over on them.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:16 PM
45ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a picture of my '60 F-100

Built in Kansas City, modified by Rudy Fick Ford, then delivered to Union Pacific Railroad.

Some days I plan I keeping the windows, some days I plan on filling them <shrug>

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panel truck windows?????