Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Late engine/emissions

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Fifty4F100
Posting Guru
Fifty4F100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty4F100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Late engine/emissions

If you couldn't tell I have a 54 F100. It has the original 239 Y block/3-on-the-tree. I would really like to change this out for a later model V8. My question is: if I go to say a mid 90s Windsor, would I be subject to the emission standards of the engine (which would be substantial) or to 1954 (which were non existent)? I haven't had to worry about this since I moved from inside the Memphis city limits, but there is much talk now of the EPA mandating emission testing county wide. I know most of you will no nothing of the state requirements in Tennessee, but how is it in your areas?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 PM
mechmagcn
Diesel Junky
mechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to all
I think that according to the letter of the law, all engine swaps to a later engine require all emission equipment that was stock to that engine to be in place and working, but I know of very few folks who have complied with this. I would just take the "don't ask, don't tell" attitude on this one. If they don't check the serial number of the engine, how can they know what was on it originally? I sure wouldn't tell them

Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Truxx1956 has a good reputation on FTE.Truxx1956 has a good reputation on FTE.
Talking

I agree with Jeff. In KY, we dont have emissions testing as far as I know????? But I HATE hippy tree huggers and their so called emissions junk. Even if you were to run EFI on it, as far as making it run properly you can get by without any of that junk. But if you did run the EFI stuff, it would be more noticeable that it has a later model engine. Again, I'd take Jeff's advice and NOT tell anyone that you have a later model engine.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
mytbtruck
Elder User
mytbtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with Jeff also. We have no testing in SC and if we did I would keep my mouth shut until some one told me otherwise. I am running a V-8 EFI from a 1995 T-bird but we have all the sensors and emission controls just like they were on the car. The engine runs like a top and I think we are going to be very well satisfied with it. When we put the OBDll on it everything checks ok. Larry.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to behold
I have a later engine in my truck but the state does emission tests on 96 and up vehicles only here in New Hampshire. It depends on your state...

Old 07-03-2008, 06:43 PM
tacson
Posting Guru
tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Fifty4F100 View Post
If you couldn't tell I have a 54 F100. It has the original 239 Y block/3-on-the-tree. I would really like to change this out for a later model V8. My question is: if I go to say a mid 90s Windsor, would I be subject to the emission standards of the engine (which would be substantial) or to 1954 (which were non existent)? I haven't had to worry about this since I moved from inside the Memphis city limits, but there is much talk now of the EPA mandating emission testing county wide. I know most of you will no nothing of the state requirements in Tennessee, but how is it in your areas?
Glenn,

Donald here in M'boro. You should be fine. Your truck based on year of manufacturer, 54 is exempt from going thru emission testing. My 55' has a 88 302 and testing is not required. Now I do run Antique plates which is a one time thing. Meaning get them and their yours for life. Now there are limitations on the amount of driving you can do with antique plates. Many of the guys here in Middle Tn run later model engines in there 53-56's and plate them annually with no problem.

Keep me informed on what you decide I might be able to help. All of these trucks are in the Metro Nashville area

Old 07-03-2008, 06:53 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
im not sure but i beleive here we too have an exemption for vehicles built prior to a set date , thus you dont have to meet emissions if you swap . wouldnt matter too muchanyway as noone tells and noone says anything ......................

Old 07-03-2008, 07:01 PM
85e150
85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation
--------------------

Last edited by 85e150; 07-03-2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: lost my mind for a moment
Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
we know you lost your mind .... you're on here with us right ?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
LiftTech is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I registered and tagged my '56, the lady didn't ask any questions. She just looked at the year, said I was exempt from the emissions, and handed me my tags.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:33 PM
tacson
Posting Guru
tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by LiftTech View Post
When I registered and tagged my '56, the lady didn't ask any questions. She just looked at the year, said I was exempt from the emissions, and handed me my tags.

Glenn unless you run into a DMV employee who is having a BAD BAD day you will probably hear the same thing Lifttech did. I wouldn't sweat it. Plus once it's tagged no one is going to come and recheck your exemption at least not without a shell or two at knee level of course

Old 07-03-2008, 09:10 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
49fordpickumup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Testing

I remember years ago California did random roadside emission testing. They would pull over cars at random, put a hose on the exhaust pipe and you had better past the test. Don't know if this is use anymore in Calif. or in other states. Here in Mo.they are only interested in ID numbers and paper work being correct.Have a great holiday,chuck

Old 07-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Dangerousdave
Freshman User
Dangerousdave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Even in California, the emissions laws state that it must comply with the year stated on the title of the vehicle. And California doesn't do any inspections now on anything below 1974.
Just about every place I've lived that had emissions testing at least locally had similar guidelines. The way they see it, if you're sticking a late model 5.0 in the truck you're doing better than if you left the stock motor in there. At least that was my father's interpretation of the language in the laws, and he was, at least in the late 90's, completely current with California's emission laws. He made it sound like they didn't want to punish you for putting in a cleaner running engine.
In other words, I would be that even if you were to move into Memphis (which, unless things have changed since I lived in the area, I wouldn't recommend), you'd be just fine since it would be running much cleaner than it did in 1974.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:38 AM
85e150
85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation
I THINK the CA rule is you must meet emissions of the vehicle or the engine, whichever is newer. The DMV site has this in black and white and you can find it easy. Not posting because too lazy & doesn't apply to OP.

I think most laws probably have the same deal. But, CA does not test older than '76 now--but I'm unsure on a transfer if they still go another 10 years. (bought a non-running '65 Mustang and got tripped by that...how do you smog it when the motor is froze up?)

Anyway, the original intent was to prevent, for example, a frustrated and disgusted late '70s Mustang or Corvette owner from going and getting a '65 Hi-po or '64 375 horse 327 and then claiming to be exempt. Then they threw in the newer into older rule just to PO the hot rodders....

Still out of my mind...thanks for noticing.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Dangerousdave
Freshman User
Dangerousdave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Right, but I'm thinking that if you take a pre smog vehicle and stick a newer motor into it, nobody is going to notice. If you're not required to provide a smog cert when re-registering the vehicle, the smog station will never know that it has a different motor.

Of course, when you go to sell it, that could be an issue for the buyer. But I'm under the impression that something that old won't need to be smogged even if it's a title change.

When my '56 was purchased, you still had to smog a 55-65 to change the title, so we actually had to jump through some hoops to get it registered.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Late engine/emissions

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.