Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

tucked

Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Yeh, looks like they just threw the tires & wheels on without taking the size height impact into account.. like its in stilts..

Sam

Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Can you say "donk"! If a person doesn't like the big wheel openings on the F100 then close them up a little. There have been many magazine articles done on moving the openings forward and/or modifying the openings to get a desired look. Somehow the large wheel diameters with the rubber band tires on an early F100 just look wrong...then again they don't look so hot on early Caprice's but that hasn't stopped some folks from doing it...to each their own.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 PM
56efffie
Elder User
56efffie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to be a party pooper, But I can tell just by looking that you would not be able to lay frame with 20/22, the top of the wheel will definately hit the top of the fender before the frame hits the ground. After tucking I think the running boards would still be a couple inches off the ground.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Layed Out 100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Layed Out 100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 56efffie View Post
Not to be a party pooper, But I can tell just by looking that you would not be able to lay frame with 20/22, the top of the wheel will definately hit the top of the fender before the frame hits the ground. After tucking I think the running boards would still be a couple inches off the ground.
we were planning on spliting the back fenders horizonaly and adding three inches in the middle from extra fenders.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:00 PM
shammaster21
New User
shammaster21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
couldnt u just raise the bed up to make up the difference?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy
B/B ford has a good reputation on FTE.B/B ford has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
Most of it is driven by the desire to fill up the empty space in the fender wall.

thats why I did the 18/20's on mine.. just didn't go to the extreme..

Sam
I really like the way yours look Sam. Great stance!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
brucewolff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most of it is driven by the desire to fill up the empty space in the fender wall.

thats why I did the 18/20's on mine.. just didn't go to the extreme..

Sam
Sam, your truck looks great!
But, I have to disagree with you on the notion that you have to increase the rim size to fill up the wheelwell. Usually what happens is you end up with larger diameter rims with rubber band tires because that's all that's available. as you can tell I'm not a fan of rubber band tires on these older trucks. What really has to happen is to determine the tire diameter and sidewall height you what front and rear to give you the "fill the wheelwell look" and the rake you want. Then get the rim diameter for those tires.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Layed Out 100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Layed Out 100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by shammaster21 View Post
couldnt u just raise the bed up to make up the difference?
Yea I'm pretty sure I could do that, but I want to try this out and see what it looks like. I can picture it in my head and I think thats what I really want. I think that would look good from the side veiw but the roll pan was the reason I wanted to go this route.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Man thats a good looking truck sdetweil

Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by brucewolff View Post
Sam, your truck looks great!
But, I have to disagree with you on the notion that you have to increase the rim size to fill up the wheelwell. Usually what happens is you end up with larger diameter rims with rubber band tires because that's all that's available. as you can tell I'm not a fan of rubber band tires on these older trucks. What really has to happen is to determine the tire diameter and sidewall height you what front and rear to give you the "fill the wheelwell look" and the rake you want. Then get the rim diameter for those tires.
I agree on the process.. I'm not happy about the low profile on the rear myself, but there is nothing between 35 and 50 in 20's.. a 40 would look SO much better, and give that little extra fill, and bump room..

50's at this size are gargantuan, 6 in sidewall. vs 4.35 on the 35 profile, and they would be 32 in tall.. vs the 28.7 now.. that 3+ in is HUGE..
using the sizes I have, the sidewalls are within 1/10th in of each other. (aka same)
I spent a lot of time using discount tires size calculator trying different combos.

I was going from 15 in to 20 in, so that is +2.5 lift in the rear.. the 3.5 in tire size dif would have added ANOTHER 1.75 inches..
(and I didn't want the truck to look like the image of the one with the 22's in the rear, nose dived into the street.!)
the fronts went from 15 to 18, so +1.5 in lift..sidewall about the same as the 15s.

here are the 315/35/20 and the 305/50/20, as I was trying them on before ordering tires & wheels. the 315/35/20 actually look a LOT better than the prefit pic forecasts.

and the actual view, straight on

Sam

Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
there is a dallas craigslist F100 with 22s

'55 Ford Rat Rod - Sell or Trade for motorcycle, travel trailer, ATV

Sam
Dang, that think reminds me of an old west buckboard with wagon wheels...

Old 07-04-2008, 07:59 PM
56efffie
Elder User
Originally Posted by Layed Out 100 View Post
we were planning on spliting the back fenders horizonaly and adding three inches in the middle from extra fenders.
The three inches would help from a width standpoint , What could you do so the top of the tire doesnt hit the top of the fender before the truck hits the ground? The only thing i can think of is to move the fenders up 2 to 3" from their current position.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Something like this

Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 PM
56efffie
Elder User
OK, I see where you are going, that works too. That should give ya plenty of clearance to tuck those tires.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
yea....just worried about the front, may do 20s on front and 22s on rear. Just have to get to that part of the build. I believe if I do that it wont look like a donk. just have to wait and see and if it does I will change it!