1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tooling Up...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:21 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tooling Up...

Well Folks, I went and did it... In preparation for the Darkside '53 project, I went a bit overboard today. I just ordered a Lincoln MIG 255c, with the extra spoolgun package and the remote controler, the Lincoln TIG 225 and a Thermal Dynamics Plasma Cutter. I just sold my Miller BIG 40 engine driven welder and that 49 Chevy pickup truck. I just couldn't stand it, the money ws burning a big hole in my pocket. The more I gaze at my '53, the more I want the stuff to do it the way I want to do it. Of course my major fear in all this will now be recognized. I have put off buying this sophisticated kind fo equipment for years because I know I will feel compelled to take in extra work to justify the stuff. It's kind of tough to reconcile six grand worth of equipment for one truck. Given my last trip to buy oxygen and acetylene, at well over a c-note, I guess the plasma cutter is at least a bit justified. The wife takes it all pretty well, but she says things like, "I guess I don't have to feel bad about buying a $1,600.00 sewing machine." I can never quite figure her motive out considering she has her own money. I guess it's a good thing she hasn't seen my want list. In spite of all the stuff I keep acquiring, the list never gets smaller. Oh well... So many tools, so little time.

Later Folks...

Old 06-30-2008, 04:35 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeh, nice tools.. just think of all the things you can do with the spare time now!.. welders save hours, plasma cutter saves even more..

I can do stuff with my plasma cutter I wouldn't even have attempted prior, and the results are spectacular.

Enjoy

Sam

Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Old ways die hard...

Originally Posted by sdetweil
Yeh, nice tools.. just think of all the things you can do with the spare time now!.. welders save hours, plasma cutter saves even more..

I can do stuff with my plasma cutter I wouldn't even have attempted prior, and the results are spectacular.

Enjoy

Sam
Thanks Sam,
I'm an old geezer that has spent too many years with the Gas Hatchet. The Plasma cutter will definitely be a whole new thing for me.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dave boley
Thanks Sam,
I'm an old geezer that has spent too many years with the Gas Hatchet. The Plasma cutter will definitely be a whole new thing for me.
you'll wonder how you did without, lol.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:31 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dave boley
Thanks Sam,
Gas Hatchet, Thats a new one ive learned today!

You will love the Plasma cutter as i do mine!ENJOY!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Dave-
You will like the plasma. I bought one a couple of years ago and it is really nice. I also recently bought a used Miller Syncrowave 185 Tig but haven't had much time to learn or practice with it. I just had a friend tig an aluminum rear housing for me and I really envy his technique. He can weld aluminum soda cans together! He wins money with that trick. Have fun with the new tools. I wish I had purchase some of this stuff when I was younger and more flexible.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
i still live in the past .... lincoln arc welder , torch , sawzall , etc.... d-mn tar is keeping me from moving forward ya know .

Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rtcalabrojr
Gas Hatchet, Thats a new one ive learned today!

You will love the Plasma cutter as i do mine!ENJOY!!!!!!
There is also Smoke Wrench, another endearing term...

Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LEckart
Dave-
I wish I had purchase some of this stuff when I was younger and more flexible.
Don't let that stop you, I'm an old geezer and becoming less flexible every day. The way I look at it is my son will be getting a heck of a tool and equipment inheritance that the tax boys can't touch.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 124 Likes on 63 Posts
I would really like to get a plasma but have not done it yet. I can't seem to find a deal like I did when I bought my old 300/300 Miller TIG. It is big but what a great machine. I could get more for the scrap copper in the machine today than I paid for it 3 years ago!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
"Fire hammer".
Nice set of tools. Check into leasing your cylinders by the year rather than buying them and avoid the temptation to get the baby cylinders of shielding gas.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Congrats on the tools!! you can NEVER have enough tools!!! I bought my plasma alot of years ago, and then a couple of years ago, I bought a much bigger one!! I'm very proud of my newer one, it will cut 1/2" with NO problem! I also have a nice Miller TIG and I love it too, but am not near as good with it as I'd like to be.

Next I want to make or buy a metal brake and an english wheel. Dave you need to go back to the thread about showing off your shop. You really have a nice shop. I've said it again and again, I wish alot of you guys lived close to me, I'd love to hang out with "some" of you. Some of you, I'm not so sure about

Keep us posted Dave!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:51 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AXracer
"Fire hammer".
Nice set of tools. Check into leasing your cylinders by the year rather than buying them and avoid the temptation to get the baby cylinders of shielding gas.
Hi AX,
That's a good one... You are probably right about the gas cylinders. I have a couple of small ones right now but I will be going to the larger ones with these machines. My oxygen and acetylene bottles are leased from Linde. They recently took over the AGA place here. I will probably go with them unless I find a better deal.

Later Man...

Old 07-01-2008, 01:02 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
I'm not normal...

Originally Posted by Truxx1956
Congrats on the tools!! you can NEVER have enough tools!!! I bought my plasma alot of years ago, and then a couple of years ago, I bought a much bigger one!! I'm very proud of my newer one, it will cut 1/2" with NO problem! I also have a nice Miller TIG and I love it too, but am not near as good with it as I'd like to be.

Next I want to make or buy a metal brake and an english wheel. Dave you need to go back to the thread about showing off your shop. You really have a nice shop. I've said it again and again, I wish alot of you guys lived close to me, I'd love to hang out with "some" of you. Some of you, I'm not so sure about

Keep us posted Dave!
Hi Terry,
From what I have seen, your shop takes mine out of the running. I am severely limited for space. I don't have room to cuss out a cat without getting a mouth full of hair. I have to put my E-350 dually outside every time I want to do something. I am strongly thinking about having a 30' X 40' building put up down back just for storage of vehicles and material. That would help a bunch.

As for all the stuff I keep collecting, I think I'm a tool-a-holic. I can't be normal and be like this. I think it has something to do with A-D-D. Like I said before, I'm really working hard on my second childhood. There was nothing wrong with my first one, I just liked it so well I want to do it again, only better.

Oh, BTW, you can come and hang out any time. I have my camper set up outside for guests. Dogs and cats are also welcome.

Later Man...

Old 07-01-2008, 01:05 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
I forgot...

Originally Posted by Truxx1956
Dave you need to go back to the thread about showing off your shop. You really have a nice shop.

Terry,
I've got Oldtimer's Disease, which thread was that. What were we talkin' about???

Quick Reply: Tooling Up...