Lifter Won't Prime

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifter Won't Prime

I am experiencing a problem with cylinder #5 lifter not priming. I have a 390 FE that I recently started for the first time. I had several issues that the FE Gurus (thanks to Redmanbob, Bear 45/70, Krewat, Jsbiohazard, CN Spots, and Joshc_spots) have helped me with (see: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/747917-it-s-alive-motor-started-for-the-first-time.html ). I have taken the advice of the FE gurus and am in need of additional help.

When I start the motor I get a ticking sound. I pulled the valve cover and pushed on the rocker arm and found that the cylinder 5 exhaust lifter is not pumped up (1st lifter in front on driver side). I pulled the rocker assembly off proceeded to remove the lifter. With a telescopic magnet, I removed the lifter and checked it by putting it in a pan of oil priming it. Sure enough, the lifter wouldn’t prime. I then order a replacement lifter (part # HT 2083 sealed power). I attempted to prime the new lifter in a cup fool of oil by using an old pushrod, but it wouldn’t prime either. I went ahead and reinstalled the lifter thinking that it would prime as it spends as the engine is running. Upon startup and running the engine for 10 minutes at about 2000 rpm, the lifter never primed. I again pulled the rocker arm and lifter to find the same as before. I am at a loss. Am I getting a bad part or am I doing something wrong? Any guidance from the experts on this forum is much appreciated.

Respectfully,

Lance

Old 06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
With the lifter out, remove the distributor and turn the oil pump driveshaft counterclockwise.

Make sure you're getting oil to the lifter bore. Something sounds fishy.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

Krewat,

Thank you for the response. This evening I will pull the distributor to check if the lifter bore is getting oil. I hope I can do this without pulling the intake manifold.

On another note, what has me confused is that I could not prime the new lifter in a can of oil prior to installation. This makes me wonder if this is an example of poor quality from foreign producers (Mexican/Chinese after market parts)? On the way home from work I plan on stopping by the autoparts store to show them that the new lifter would not prime to see what they say.

Lance

Old 06-30-2008, 12:15 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
I'm not entirely sure the lifter will prime when just sitting in oil - you need to give it pressure to fill it entirely with oil. I think.

It's been a while

It's just weird that that one lifter hole doesn't prime, but the rest do...

Old 06-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lifter should prime submerged in oil and pumped.

Krewat's suggestion to see if the bore is getting oil is a good idea.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
#5 is the last hole to get oil from galley, not that it should be a problem. I would spin oil pump and see if you get oil from galley.

You mention it's a fresh start engine? I would pull the mating lifter and make sure nothing is screwy with it. Oil has to flow around the bodies to get down the galley. If the mating lifter isn't undercut then it would stop the oil flow. I'm stretching things.....but something sounds outta whack. Not that it just couldn't be TWO faulty lifters....but seems odd.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:30 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Good point Larry ... (what else is new?)

Old 06-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

Update:

I stopped by the autoparts store after work with my faulty lifter to show the store manager. I brought with me a cup of oil and the lifter. We attempted to prime the lifter again and concluded it was faulty. The manager ordered another lifter and it should be in tomorrow.
<O
As suggested by Freightrain (Larry), I will pull the mating lifter to check it out. I will give you an update when all suggestions are completed. Again, thank you for sharing your wisdom.

R/
<O
Lance

Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

Update:

I pulled the distributor and turned the oil pump shaft with a drill counter clockwise and saw oil from the galley getting to the #5 lifter bore. Next, I checked the mating lifter to see if it was impeding oil flow and found that it was not a problem.

My new lifter should be in tomorrow. I plan on returning to the parts store with my cup of oil and pushrod so I can prime then new lifter there. If it primes up, I will install the lifter in the engine and begin reassembly.

R/
<O
Lance

Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Kewl! Definitely let us know how it goes

Old 07-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad to hear things are working out okay. Hopefully the next lifter won't be a dud too!
Thus the reason I run solid lifters in all my stuff.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

Update

I went to the local autoparts store (Advanced Auto) to get my new lifter today. The store manager ordered 10 lifters to have extra in stock. I brought with me a cup of oil and an extra pushrod so I could prime the lifter in the store. After going through 4 lifters, I found 1 that primed 75% (almost hard). I purchased that lifter and decided to install a proven lifter from #7 intake into the #5 lifter bore. I then put the newly purchased lifter in #7. I did this attempting to isolate an oiling problem or lifter problem. I started the engine and ran it for 5 minutes. Pulled the valve cover and found the new lifter (7 intake) did not pump up. I slide a filler gauge and have .025 gap between the rocker arm and valve. The lifter that I previously had in #7 that is now in #5, is pumped up and is fine which eliminates an oiling problem. I am at a loss. I have been told that erison (sp??) is the only lifter manufacturer and don’t know if going to a different autoparts store would remedy this situation. I appreciate any information or suggestions.

R/

Lance

Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
That is pretty weird - a whole run of lifters are bad?

Go back and keep going through the rest of the batch and find one that does prime ?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And things were going so well!

My first thought when theis thread started was of Beemernut saying he would disassemble new-from-the-box lifters and clean them in mineral spirits, one at a time. He was pretty surprised at the amount of metal shavings cleaned from a set. He was not surprised not that they were there, but that there was more than expected.

Sounds cheaper than another trip to the auto parts.

I couldn't tell you who carries "Made in USA" brands among the parts chains. I trust Survival Motorsports because it is BarryR's lifeblood, unlike some volume discounters.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
Just did a basic check for lifters for a 360 over at autozone (used our truck as the test subject).

They show a "Melling" brand lifter for $3.49 per. Also "Hi Tech" brand for $19.99 for a set of 4. Now this is just listed for the 360 using ours...But other stores might carry other brands with more success.

Yeah, it's really oddball to find several bad ones all from the same stock. Either it was a crap production run? Or these things have been sitting on a warehouse shelf for way to long.

S-

Quick Reply: Lifter Won't Prime