Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
connecting external amp to escape mach sound system

Old 11-19-2000, 08:49 AM
zeratul
New User

I have an MTX amplifier with high level inputs that I want to connect to the existing MACH sound system. I saw the small amplifier(FORD PART # YL8F-18C804/ MAZDA PART # EC03 6696ZDD)that powers the small subwoofer at the back. I was wondering if anyone knew the wiring layout for this amplifier and if I can use it to connect to my MTX amp. There are 5 wires that go into this amp: gray black, black, red yellow, green black and blue red. Specifically, I was looking for the left and right high level inputs as well as the remote turn on wire. There are 4 wires that go out from the amp to the sub: white, white blue, white gray and white black.

I can always wire the high level inputs from the rear door speaker wires and the remote turn on from the head unit itself but it is a lot more work.

Thanks,
Manny

Old 12-24-2000, 02:52 PM
skipper
Senior User

The first thing I'd like to say is that swapping the amps isn't worth it and shouldn't be be done. You should find a small speaker with a higher SPL(db) rating than the stock one. If you plan on doing the swap though, you need to find a speaker with a higher power rating also. I did a swap like this for a friend and swapped in a Rockford Fosgate amp with two Fosgate 12" subs(disconnected the old sub altogether) and the sound improvement was minimal. I first pulled out the radio receiver and connected my own turn on lead from the stock wires. I used a voltmeter to find out which one it was. Then I ran the wires underneath the plastic covers over the rocker panels all the way to the back. I then hooked up some 8 gauge wire(needs to be fused) up directly to the battery and ran it through the black plastic sleeve at the back of the engine compartment and through the firewall by punching a hole through the large rubber body plug above the gas and brake pedals. I also ran it to the back under the plastic rocker cover panels. Next you need to pull or mostly pull off the whole right side panel covering the sub and amp. The thicker wires entering the right side of the amp are the power wires if I remember correctly. Disconnect them altogether. The three smaller wires plugging into the left side of the amp are the stereo input wires. One wire is the left stereo positive, the other is the right stereo positive, and the third is the common ground(both channels are hooked to it for the negative). To find out which ones are which turn the radio on and then touch a voltmeter to each wire separately. The positives should read around 5 volts. The other small wires coming out of the right side of the amp, near the bottom are the speaker output wires. Now all you have to do is put in another 8 gauge wire which can be hooked up to any bolt that goes into the body to be used as the ground. Now just hook up your amp, put the panel back on and hook up some new speakers. As a fair warning I would like to tell you that my friends $180 amp burned up after about a week, and that those amplifier input wires are low input(I think), because on an ohm meter they read 1900 ohms, otherwise they would have read below 1500 ohms. I hope this helps and that you don't swap out that amp. It's just not worth it unless you put in a whole new stereo system altogether.