1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:34 PM
rungunner
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission

I found a guy close to my house that does transmission work only so with a re-manufactured trans going in my truck this week I am wondering if now would be a good time to replace the rear main seal? It has never leaked. Should I ask him to put one in and is there any other things he can do with the trans out? I did not ask if the trans came with a torque converter, does anyone know if it will? He is also going to repair the front drive shaft, bearing gone coming out of the transfer case.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would ask who is doing the re-man. There are too many out there that don't know how to rebuild an e4od for a diesel. What warranty comes with it?

Most new trannies come with a re-man converter...ask! I would go with a good hi perf triple disc TC. They can be very expensive though $800+

Add a larger trans cooler no matter what you decide to do. The OEM cooler is a joke.

The main seals are usually not a problem but if you have a lot of miles on the truck or you don't know the condition of the seal then replace it. It shouldn't cost more than $30-50 extra.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:08 PM
rungunner
Junior User
Trans

The guy said the re-mans come right from Ford, he can get lots of them.
I do have a large trans cooler on the truck. This trans made 235000 miles but has been giving me trouble for 135000 miles, there was some kind of slip going into 3rd gear that would send the trans into a limp mode, I would just reset the computer and do it all over again when it slipped. Noiw it is slipping all the time. I am going to ask him about a warranty and the rear seal since there is 235000 miles on the truck. I can not stand anything leaking. Thank You

Old 06-15-2008, 01:10 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
X2
Also its a little more involved than just a rear seal replacement.
You have to replace the wear ring on the crank.
Ford HD reman is a good trans. Also believe the reman TC will be a multy disk.
But will still have a stamped cover.

Bill

Old 06-15-2008, 10:06 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after you put a couple of miles on it to make sure all is good get a shift kit put in the trans and it should last a good while. the ford reman warrenties keep changing so call the dealer to find out what it is right now. for a while it was 3/36, then they dropped to 2/24, but its been a while since i dealt with them.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Flea
Elder User
What shift kit do you recommend Joe?