Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing up pipes, need a quick answer

Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
mybigredford is starting off with a positive reputation.
changing up pipes, need a quick answer

hey guys i am in the middle of doing my up pipes right now, but i am having a hell of a time getting the clamp off the back of the turbo and collecter, any ideas on how to free the clamp off, i got it right loosened off, i cant get a screw driver in there to break it loose, the down pipe clamp was a breeze compared to this one

Old 06-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Mine was a b***h to remove as well.
What finally did it was one of those hooks that you can tug at something with some "assistance" from a big hammer. I managed to get under the bottom lip and got it loose that way.
Lot's of Free-All and persistance helped too.
Took nearly an hours work just for that one step.
Kris, none of this please.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:46 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
thanks kwik, i got off about a quarter of it now, that thing is stuck , i will keep at it, i might have to check in later with more questions

Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
well i give up for the night, i am 5 hrs into my up pipes, and this is where i am at, turbo out, and drivers side up pipe and collector out. and two chunks of skin missing from my fingers.

it took me about an hour to get the rear v clamp off the back of the turbo, and it took me about 1 1/2 hrs to get that f$%king hard to reach bolt from the Y collector out.

now for two questions i need answered for the rest of tommorows adventure.

#1- it seems oil is leaking from the turbo pedistal where the EBPV shaft goes in, how do i fix this is there a write up on it

#2 while in the process of taking out the collector with the orange boots in front of the turbo, i broke a green plastic tube that goes from that collector to the air filter duct just after where the CCV connects to, what does this tube do and can i just replace it with a rubber type tube or do i have to pick it up from ford? i didnt break the red wastegate tube (thank god) those lines are brittle.

thanks guys, i will check tommorow morning to see if anyone left me answers and will let you know how i am making out, i have never done anything this extensive before on a vehicle!!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:14 AM
dagnuten
New User
dagnuten is starting off with a positive reputation.
it's just a bleed-off line from the sensor that was bolted to the collector (or babys butt) you can replace it with rubber tube or leave it off... no biggie... you get the bolts off the manifolds yet? I used a cutoff tool and used new bolts, was alot easier.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:00 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
the green line tells the map and PCM what the boost is and then sends it to the red line to open the waste gate .and it also tells the PCM if more or less fuel is needed....it get's this info from the spider pipe..not the babies butt....I would replace it or fix it with a compression fitting from Napa..if it was the red line then id say plug it for now but watch the boost level..with the red line un hooked you can build up to 30 LB easily but its not good on the turbo..you can try to fix the pedestal with a repair kit linked below..I had good luck with it..but another guy here said he had no luck..you can search for pedestal in that link to.. but give Ron's turbo on ebay a call..he may have a better deal....

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=314

Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by dagnuten View Post
it's just a bleed-off line from the sensor that was bolted to the collector (or babys butt) you can replace it with rubber tube or leave it off... no biggie... you get the bolts off the manifolds yet? I used a cutoff tool and used new bolts, was alot easier.
yup i got the bolts out, gonna get back at it this morning.

you can try to fix the pedestal with a repair kit linked below..I had good luck with it..but another guy here said he had no luck..you can search for pedestal in that link to.. but give Ron's turbo on ebay a call..he may have a better deal....

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=314
thanks rons power, is there no listing for just the orings?, i went to ford and they want 300 bucks for the kit you mentioned, and me being in canada, it will take at least7-10 days to get the rebuild part youlisted and then it will still be about 250 bucks by the time all the shipping is done. i hate to put this all together knowing that it is seeping alittle bit. it doesnt leak enough to drip oil, it just must seep enough to make the inspection cover alittle wet looking.

anyways i am going to head out and work onthe pipes, i will check back in a bit, looks like i might just put it back together, unless some one can giva another solution, thanks for your help guys

Old 06-12-2008, 06:08 PM
dagnuten
New User
dagnuten is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by mybigredford View Post
#2 while in the process of taking out the collector with the orange boots in front of the turbo, i broke a green plastic tube that goes from that collector to the air filter duct just after where the CCV connects to, what does this tube do and can i just replace it with a rubber type tube or do i have to pick it up from ford? i didnt break the red wastegate tube (thank god) those lines are brittle.

thanks guys, i will check tommorow morning to see if anyone left me answers and will let you know how i am making out, i have never done anything this extensive before on a vehicle!!
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
the green line tells the map and PCM what the boost is and then sends it to the red line to open the waste gate .and it also tells the PCM if more or less fuel is needed....it get's this info from the spider pipe..not the babies butt....I would replace it or fix it with a compression fitting from Napa..if it was the red line then id say plug it for now but watch the boost level..with the red line un hooked you can build up to 30 LB easily but its not good on the turbo..you can try to fix the pedestal with a repair kit linked below..I had good luck with it..but another guy here said he had no luck..you can search for pedestal in that link to.. but give Ron's turbo on ebay a call..he may have a better deal....
Can you please explain how the green tube to the air filter reads boost? The way I understand it is that the map sensor reads boost, which is fed from the collector with the orange boots by a rubber hose (ok, baby's butt is not the correct term, sorry, it was late, but he know what I was talking about, lol...)

Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
Clint, my pedestal was leeking like a frigging sieve, and after I spent $140 for a EBPV delete pedistal, I came to realize that I could've just gutted the damn thing and tapped the piston rod hole with an 1/8th NPT tap and plugged it for about $2..... Just take the big snap ring outta the backside, remove contents, drill and tap hole, insert plug, and put all back together.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by mongo75 View Post
Clint, my pedestal was leeking like a frigging sieve, and after I spent $140 for a EBPV delete pedistal, I came to realize that I could've just gutted the damn thing and tapped the piston rod hole with an 1/8th NPT tap and plugged it for about $2..... Just take the big snap ring outta the backside, remove contents, drill and tap hole, insert plug, and put all back together.

thanks, i put it all back together, i think there may be just some seepage, because when i went out this morning to finish, i looked again, and it couldnt be leaking that bad or maybe at all because there isnt any oil pooling up in the back af the valley. i dontknow, i will deal with it if it does leak down the road.

i got my up pipes done, that rear band clamp was something else, i hope i dont have any leaks with the turbo orings, i havent started it up yet i got a couple of things left to do, i am cleaning all the torbo boots, did the foil delete, and did the HPX line, got to pick up a couple things for the CCV mod now. i got about an hour left tommorw

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.