1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Fuel Filler Pipe Leaking (ebay?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 PM
M1bear
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filler Pipe Leaking (ebay?)

Has anyone actually used the fuel filler pipe that is sold on ebay. If so, did it work properly (vent correctly), so that you can fill up your tank without having to pump slowly or have splashback.

I searched on here and see this is a common problem, but couldn't find any feedback on the ebay hoses, only not to get the napa hose.

I found this dealership has the cheapest price for the OEM hose. $195 + shipping.
Tasca Auto Group | Your Online Parts Dealer

I pulled the bed of the truck and sealed the leaky hose, to buy me a few weeks until I order a new hose.

I just replaced the clutch, slave cylinder, plugs, ect... last month so I'm trying to limit the amount I dump into the truck. Spent more than I wanted to, since local dealership assured me that the slave cylinder was included in a clutch kit, then wouldn't cut me a break on the price for a slave cylinder. I now have an extra throw-out bearing and will no longer try to support local dealerships. All online from here on. (end of rant, ha, ha)

93 2.3L Ranger

Thanks,
M1Bear

Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Aggie05
Senior User
I used a universal / flex pipe from auto zone once on a bronco 2. Worked for atleast 5 yrs then i sold it. THink i paid like 30 bucks for it. Might of been for radiator i cant remember but was much cheaper and lasted.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:35 PM
M1bear
New User
BTT last time, anyone try the ebay fuel filler hose?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:10 PM
gwuister
Senior User
This might help someone since I just went through this. Took my 94 Ranger in for Cali smog check. All was well except failed the Evap test. Smog guy said the Rangers often have a problem with the fuel filler hose. I already knew I had a problem because if I fill the tank all the way it would leak fuel on the ground.

I checked the usual suspects for a filler pipe but no luck. Was told it was a dealer only part. The local dealer didn't have any in stock. With that a came here to look around for info.

Saw this thread and then looked on Ebay. $57 shipped + tax. Figured what the heck so I bought one. The UPS truck dropped it off the next day! Changed it out and it was an exact fit and it got me passed the smog check for another 2 years.

All worked out well but,.... It was made in China. I don't have very good luck with the long term quality of Chinese rubber products like fuel lines and hoses so we shall see.

Hope this helps someone. -greg

Old 01-17-2009, 12:05 AM
ttocs388
Junior User
Ranger failed emissions ?? (gas filler hose problem)

Found this guy and he is local to me. If he will not ship it then let me know and we can arrange something.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Fordsflylow
Postmaster
Just replaced mine not long ago. All it is is two hoses, one inside the other w/outer being the actual vent hose. Easiest fix is disconnect the filler/cap from bed, disconnect wiring harness, pull bed > pull hose and take the hose to IKT (bumper to bumper), OReilly, etc and match it up. Cost around $50.

I did it by myself with a tow strap and hoist to pull bed, but a couple of decent sized guys can lift it.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 PM
M1bear
New User
Lol, still haven't replaced mine since the temp fix is still holding and no leaks.

What I did a while back was pull the bed, then use seal-all on the cracked part of the outer vent hose. I let this dry almost all the way, then used black RTV sealant and really gooped it all over the cracked area over the seal-all. I then reconnected the hose on the gas tank, then put the bed back. Seems to be holding up fine and doesn't leak when I overfill the gas tank. Gas mileage is back to normal and holding.

I'll just wait until it starts leaking again, then purchase the e-bay hose. Truck has over a 100,000 and will last another 2-3 years at least.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by R031Kona
Glad to hear that your happy with your part.it's pretty popular.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:37 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
Damn Ford for that design!
lol

Old 03-23-2009, 03:46 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lol
LOL ,I love the Ford trucks. I used to have an 89 Eddie Bauer Bronco.I miss that truck.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:30 PM
RIJID-FORD
Junior User
I used the cheapest one that I could find on Ebay made in china part aswell, I went to look at it to see if everything was still in place and I noticed where the cage on my truck pushes on the filler hose before it goes over the frame it is already starting to crack the rubber, I got the good ol' duct tape out and taped it up before the cracks go all the way through that will do untill I get a fuel cell. I live in Montana and it has been cold cold cold but the hose is no more than 4 months old.

the only problem I think I might have had with the generic hose from O'reilly was that the hose needs to go over the frame and then bend at about 90* to get into the tanks and the standard cut yourself hose wont bend enough to make a good seal.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Fordsflylow
Postmaster
lol
One can blame all the lawsuits/get rich quick schemes Ford has had to deal with over the years for some of these wild designs, and why one can't by a piece of a part and instead have to buy the whole assembly.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 AM
customstringer
Elder User
Just don't buy one of the aftermarket/ebay type hoses if you have a flareside, they won't fit. All that is available is the OEM from Ford, so best bet is to try to get one from one of the sponsors that will sell online.