Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Time for the anual AC charge

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 AM
dcara
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for the anual AC charge

Its getting that time here in Texas. Has anyone had theirs done this season yet? If so whats the going rate this year per ounce or pound for freon. I think mine uses 134. Seems like I saw someone last year at an Autozone charging theirs in the parking lot. Does Autozone do that?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know about your Autozones in your area but I would trust mine to do anything under my hood. I would find a mechanic instead. My 2 pennies...

Old 06-06-2008, 09:52 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my truck new and never did this. First time I have heard to do this annually.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I bought my truck new and never did this. First time I have heard to do this annually.
some systems leak a bit specilly when not used for a while
mine hasn't been looked at for over six years but think I might check it soon
wifes 98 merc has never been checked

Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rbaker6336
some systems leak a bit specilly when not used for a while
mine hasn't been looked at for over six years but think I might check it soon
wifes 98 merc has never been checked

I agree Ray. I think I will check mine too. Down here we use ac most of the year, so it sure gets used a lot. It seems to be blowing cold, but I might just be used to it.

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 AM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dcara
. Seems like I saw someone last year at an Autozone charging theirs in the parking lot. Does Autozone do that?
autozone doesn't do it but they sell i neat little kit. i did it on my old mountaineer its real easy comes in like a tall can with a gauge and everything i wanna say like 15 or 20 bucks!!! and it worked great all summer and 1/2. i THINK some of the recharge kits already have die in them to check for leaks. and dont quote me but i think you just put it on the low side connector i do remember it will only work one way so you cant mess it up

Old 06-06-2008, 10:40 AM
dcara
Tuned
I've had to do mine each year for the past couple of years 'cause it needs it. I got a slow leak somewhere. Not surprising since it is a ranch truck and has spent most of its life bouncing through pastures and fields.

bigsteve, thanks, I'll check on their kits

Ponyboy, I think you meant .....wouldn't trust them...... didn't you.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
AutoZone sells a "pound" can (actually only 12 ounces) for around eight bucks, and a "kit" with a fill hose to go from the can to the low side for a few dollars more, BUT...

If you don't know what you're doing, ESPECIALLY if the system is already at almost full charge, you can cause some SERIOUS damage to be done to the compressor. Yes, the high-side switch SHOULD shut it down, but I trust those switches like I trust used-car dealers.

An R-134a manifold and hoses (three of them - to the can, low side, high side) is what you should be using to charge a system, and then only if you feel really comfortable doing so. It's not a job A/C neophytes should be attempting without someone looking over their shoulder, at least the first time, so find a friend who REALLY knows.

Pop

Old 06-06-2008, 12:59 PM
haulingboat
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a guage set last summer from O'Rielly's for $40. The refridgerant is pretty cheap also. I think I put in 1 & 1/2 cans last year.

I was driving in 100 F weather yesterday and my air was not as cool as I thought it should have been. My be time to do it again.

Like someone mentioned above, you can't mess up unless you jack way too much in the system.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:28 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SpringerPop

If you don't know what you're doing, ESPECIALLY if the system is already at almost full charge, you can cause some SERIOUS damage to be done to the compressor. Yes, the high-side switch SHOULD shut it down, but I trust those switches like I trust used-car dealers.
Pop
yea i agree but i know on my mountaineer the thing on the front of the motor and i called it a "clutch" for the A/C you could hear the motor bog down then come back then bog down again. it would engage then not engage you know you have enough in there when it stays engaged and not on/off on/off and soo on. now it may be completely different on these trucks but that was my previous expierence. but some1 please correct me if this is totally wrong hate to give out bad info. but thats the way i was taught to do it!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With those AC kits, on the back of the package they got pretty good instructions to follow. Did my moms car with it, worked out great.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:09 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigsteve1969
yea i agree but i know on my mountaineer the thing on the front of the motor and i called it a "clutch" for the A/C you could hear the motor bog down then come back then bog down again. it would engage then not engage you know you have enough in there when it stays engaged and not on/off on/off and soo on. now it may be completely different on these trucks but that was my previous expierence. but some1 please correct me if this is totally wrong hate to give out bad info. but thats the way i was taught to do it!
low refrigerant is not the only thing that will make the clutch cycle,a clogged orifice tube or accumilator will cause the same symtoms
adding refrigerant will stop the cycling for a bit but the high side will run way up with enough pressure to damage the compressor or blow a hose

Old 06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
ok thanks for correcting me.. gotta learn new stuff everyday

Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
Used one in my old95 Caddy. One of the easiest things i have done. Make sure you get the package with the gauge so you dont overfill your system. May be a couple bucks more but may save you more then a couple bucks.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:43 AM
dcara
Tuned
I have a set of guages. Does anyone know what the pressures are suppsoed to be so I can check them before and during chargeing?

BTW, I have discovered that there is another type of gas that can be used which is way more efficient and hence produces much colder air. It is a Butane based gas. I have two firends that have been running it for a couple of months and say it is great. However, you have to pay a HASMAT fee for shipping. Here's a link

Enviro-Safe, Inc - Environmentally Friendly Refrigerant and Automotive Fluid Products

Quick Reply: Time for the anual AC charge