Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Time for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:47 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Time for new tires

For the first time in my life, I an seriously thinkng of getting new tires (normally just get used ones).

So on that note, anyone care to share their experiences? I'm looking for something with good long treadwear for the highway, and preferably as quiet as possible.

I've heard good things about goodyear wranglers. I have a set on my F150 and they are nice.

Any opinions?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I am running Cooper tires on mine right now, near as I can tell the wear is great.
And they did great i the snow this winter.
Not bad in the mud, not quite as good as the Bridgestones I was running, but they were full fledged mud tires.

I can't remember the name, but I know it ends in ST.
And the same tire comes in an SST version that is a mud tire, but I was worried about the wear on that one.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:15 AM
David85
Lead Driver
From what you have said in previous posts, those tires also seem to hold up well at high speed.

I've seen a few close calls with tires flying apart, and safety is also a concern for me. 90% of my driving happens around 70 MPH.

Needless to say, bridgestone/firestone is off the list. They are still fielding complaints about tires flying apart. My dad nearly had one fall aprart on the front of his truck. He reported a thumping in the truck so I jacked the front up, and saw a bulge in the center of the tread. Mystery solved. Second hand firestone steeltex, never again......

Had an even closer call on my truck with a toyo tire that came as a spare with the truck. It had no tread wear, but who knows how old it was.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:15 AM
northern 7.3
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your truck does towing or offroading of any sort and you want a more agressive tread try Toyo M-55. They are more agressive than an open country A/T and less agressive than an open country M/T a couple of my friends use those around the farm, hauling cattle and such lots of gravel roads and such. they hold up at least twice as long as bfg AT ko's. traction is pretty good all around... but they are not cheap as far as tires go..

Old 06-06-2008, 05:06 AM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
If your just going to be doing higway (although they work great offroad except in the mud. They are not a mud tire) driving I would go with pireli scorpion STR A tires. I had some from brand new that went over 70,000 miles before I changed them and they were still 1/32" from the wear mark. They are also very resistant to punctures, even the sidewalls. Im very ruough on tires and only had 2 flats, one was a large nail at a junk yard and the other was a loaded 270 rifle bullet/shell stuck in the tread. Don't know how that happend though. Anyway, they ran very quiet, are good against hydroplaning and had perfect even tread wear all around. I believe the tires I had were like 265 75 R16, Pirelli Scorpion STR A and believe I had load range E and were rated @3400 lbs a piece capacity and 85psi max pressure and 106mph max (dont think I even need to go that fast). I got some other tires at walmart but should have got the pirellis instead. Check out tirerack.com, they have them. On this ford truck, I have some junk falkin RV tires and they'r looking bad at 25,000 miles. I will be ordering the same perille scorpions that I had on my other truck since this is just a 2wd and I don't off road in it anyway. Anyway, these tires do just as you described that your looking for. Oh, I know a coupple of other people that have them and like them. Just my 3 cents

Old 06-06-2008, 08:57 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Right now I personally am considering three tires in 285/75R16 for my truck:

Cooper Discoverer ST (same tires Dave S. has)

General Grabber AT2 (great reviews, but that particular size has apparently been on national backorder since last winter and I don't even know anyone has it)

Kumho Road Venture AT (also good reviews, but not quite as good as the AT2, and also seems to be slightly difficult to find)

I'd REALLY like to get some kinda badass mud tire like the Maxxis Bighorn or Firestone Destination MT, but I don't trust them in the snow enough to really buy them.

The tires that are on it are actually fine, but they're only load range C (which I don't trust) and I want new tires for my new wheels

Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM
David85
Lead Driver
I'd like to stick with the stock 235/85/16 tires. Looking online, some of them can get to 32" height but are still fairly narrow. I don't really need anything wider or taller than what I have, and the narrow frontal cross section will save some fuel. Not much, but these days anything counts since I will be buying new anyway.

Basically no off roading except getting out of my own driveway. Some light towing, but its mainly hauling long distances on the freeway. Hydroplaning is a concern though. It's amazing just how dumb people can get on this highway........

When snow hits the ground, I have some agressive snow/mud retreads that go on.

EDIT:

Well heres the cooper discoverer tires.

Store

The speed rating of only 87 MPH will not be good enough for me though.....

Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Well, if there's no off-road use, little snow usage and you want long tread life, what about some highway rib type of tires? I've heard those things last forever and they're great if you stick to pavement and don't really get into any snow.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 PM
David85
Lead Driver
And thats why I started this thread! I know squat about tires lol.

Never heard of highway ribbed tires, some quick searching makes me think that they are a good fit for my application. Now to find the right one.........

Old 06-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Cool6.9DieselGuy
Senior User
I have these tires on my truck that are bad *** but they came w/ the truck, the treadwear on them is great but I had never even heard of them before I seen them on this truck, I bang curbs w/ them all the time and they just stay tough, they're not even loud either, I have never even looked at the tire pressure in them once and I've had teh truck 1 1/2 years... Not outstanding in the snow, but I never got stuck w/ the posi dually rwd. Anyways they same 'Stampede' on them, they're regular size 16", I dont know exactly who makes them, that's just the model.

However, If I were going to buy new I would go with Mastercraft or Cooper, both are the same company basically. I have the Cooper Discoverer ATR I think on my little mazda pickup, i'm not sure about the ATR but I'm pretty sure that's what they are, I know they are definitely the Discoverer's, nice white lettering, best all around truck tire you can buy in my opinion, great in anything, snow, ice, mud, highway driving, rain, even w/ just the rear wheel drive I never had any issues w/ them and Im' in the Poconos, PA, real bad conditions sometimes in these mountains, never even had to shovel or plow my driveway last season with those tires, I would just back right out. The heavier rating u get on them the more u can haul and not have to worry, that's important when selcting a model tire. I dont know anyone that's ever gotten a set of coopers for their truck and been disappointed, talking about heavier tires though not like basic road tires, I see the coopers a lot on beefier trucks, even some commercial box trucks, and like bad *** tow trucks w/ studded Mastercrafts, those and Hancooks but i dont think they have as good of rubber on them as the coopers or mastercrafts, they dont seem to last as long i've heard guys say....

Old 06-07-2008, 10:59 PM
84-6.9
New User
I just put on a set of michelin ltx a/t tires and so far I'm impressed with the ride and they are very quiet on the road. They have very deep tread but it sounds like you wouldn't need that, they also make ltx m/s tires that are for mainly the highway and may suit your needs better. Anything is better than the old cracked Khomos i had.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:47 AM
seizure911
Senior User
I've had good luck w/bfg k/0 all terrains. They do ok in snow. I never get nails in them from on construction sites, they we ok (mine are about 1/2 tread at 25K). On other trucks that I used to 4X4 in rocky stuff, they never got cuts.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:40 PM
royzell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally would never buy Michelin again. I used to swear by them, but the last few sets I've had all weather -cracked prematurely. One blew out the sidewall at highway speed. This has been on cars, our 3/4 ton camper van, and my car trailer.
I'm using BFG AT TA's on my truck right now, but the wear/life doesn't seem great.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM
David85
Lead Driver
What do you guys think about this tire?

O.K Tire Stores - Tire Search

Considering the cost of new tires, I'm trying to limit my options to what is available in my town. I'd hate to deal with a warranty issue in the next town. OK tire and Fountain tire are both in town, Canadian tire...mehhh, I'd like to avoid them.....

Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I've got Cooper Discoverer ATR's on mine. So far they have been great. Smooth ride, quiet, good wear. No snow or mud since I got them. More interstate miles than anything else.

Quick Reply: Time for new tires