Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biodiesel

Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 PM
PSDiesel911
Junior User
PSDiesel911 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Biodiesel

Does anyone on here make their own biodiesel because with diesel almost up to 5 bucks a gallon i am trying to make my own but no one will give me any of their used vegatable oil. Any suggestions?

Old 06-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Zephyr
Senior User
Zephyr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just recently started making my own, but have been looking into it for some time now, I have small mom & pop store that gives me there used oil. My suggestion is to go to the small private owned places & talk to them about getting there oil, be upfront with them & tell them what you are going to do with it.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:24 PM
dcwhipple
Junior User
dcwhipple is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by PSDiesel911 View Post
Does anyone on here make their own biodiesel because with diesel almost up to 5 bucks a gallon i am trying to make my own but no one will give me any of their used vegatable oil. Any suggestions?
Just be yourself and eat there before/when/after you ask. Take a look at this link for more detail...

Negotiating For Waste Vegetable Oil - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial

-Dan

Old 06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
firemediceric is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been running a WVO blend for over two years with good results. Without a doubt the hardest part for me was/is getting the sources for the WVO. It's becoming harder all the time and I don't see that trend changing

Old 06-03-2008, 05:55 PM
PSDiesel911
Junior User
How much does a resturant ussually produce in say a month?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:12 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Some small Mom & Pop type places that I know of only get rid of 5 gallons a week. Some of the bigger places get rid of 10 gallons a day.

With the cost of the oil going up, I think some of the restaurants are not changing it out as often as they used to.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
And most chain restaurants do not give thier oil up, from what I have heard.
They know about biodiesel as well.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:13 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Most places around here used to pay for it to be removed. I here their getting something for it now.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 PM
PSDiesel911
Junior User
The last chinese food place i stopped in told me they wanted 20 bucks to pick up everytime... At least i think he said that.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
One restaurant owner I approached said he is suppossed to be getting paid 5 or 10 cents per gallon. He couldn't remember the figure. He also said that he has yet to receive any money from the renderer, Griffin Industries.

From what I have read elsewhere, Griffin will often just make promises and never follow through. I have also heard they make unreasonable conditions as to quanity and quality of the oil.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 AM
empiretc
Post Fiend
empiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to behold
Griffin is the place that gets it from around here. they are not paying anyone for it, still charging $$$ due to diesel prices. some restaurants i talked to wanted 1/2 the $$$ based on the amount of diesel I would make. i.e. 10 gallons of WVO meant ~$25 to them.

I did contact griffin about buying oil from them. $2/gallon already cleaned WVO. however, you need to fill out a lot of paperwork and they report what your intentions are. the guy I spoke with told me that most goes to mexico and is made into soap, candles, and other stuff. Then it comes right back and is sold to us. I would rather keep this on the down low than have people in black suits knocking on my door.

I was also reading that the gov currently allows an individual to produce 400 gallons per year for personal use . Any more than that and you must pay the taxes.

If you get caught making BIO and selling it under the table, it is just as bad as being a cocaine dealer. I was surprised at how difficult they have made it for someone to produce their own fuel- if they know about you. Yeah, save the earth- --> use more imported foreign oil than the waste oil from the millions of restaurants in our fast food nation.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:16 AM
aklim
Post Fiend
aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by empiretc View Post
If you get caught making BIO and selling it under the table, it is just as bad as being a cocaine dealer. I was surprised at how difficult they have made it for someone to produce their own fuel- if they know about you. Yeah, save the earth- --> use more imported foreign oil than the waste oil from the millions of restaurants in our fast food nation.

At that point you are evading 2 sets of taxes. Road taxes and sales taxes. After all, they are figuring that you are now not making it for your own consumption. It would be similar to me making home made wine and selling it without paying the taxes.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend
tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
I am making my own BD as well. The single most difficult part is getting oil. Atleast that is the case around here. Kruger (main rendering company) is paying as near as I can figure $.40/gallon for oil they collect. I have two sources so far once from the small town I grew up in that is free and one here that I pay $.20/gallon. I need about 4 or 5 more source though to get the oil I need. But things are changing. Paying for WVO will become the norm around the country sooner than you think.

But if you look at the cost involved. Even paying $.20/gallon for WVO my BD cost is still at $1/gallon! the higher fuel prices make me think I can afford to pay for good sources of oil. I am willing meet or raise the $.40/gallon rate if the restaurants are willing to make the change.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:17 PM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
randomhero1172 has a good reputation on FTE.randomhero1172 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PSDiesel911 View Post
The last chinese food place i stopped in told me they wanted 20 bucks to pick up everytime... At least i think he said that.

Sure he said bucks!?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM
empiretc
Post Fiend
empiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
At that point you are evading 2 sets of taxes. Road taxes and sales taxes.
It's Fed & State. not all states have to pay a sales tax on top of that..

there is $.40 tax total here in TX. 50/50 split.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Biodiesel

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.