1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

clutch chatter

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 PM
cchildress
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch chatter

I just installed a Valair clutch in my dads 95 f350 and everything works great and and when pushing it in it feels good but at idle it chatters very loud. If I rev it up to 900 rpms it goes away to and when driving it chatters. I just drove around the block and then parked it because it sound really bad. The kit came with a new 1 Piece 13" fly wheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing,alinement tool, and pilot bearing. The fork arm had a little bit of wear so I got a new one of those too. Everything went together good and smooth but just a really bad chatter!!!!!!!!! The only thing I can think of is the throw out bearing riding on the pressure plate teeth.

Please help!!!!!!! Its my dads truck and if it is not perfect Im in deep S**T!!!
Soooo Please Help

Thanks Cody

Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cody, don't worry. The chatter, or squeeling is a problem that alot of people have. From my best estimate it's from not replacing the clutch fork. Which most people don't replace. I'm guilty of it myself. So when I get the squealing I either shim the clutch pedal, or weld a booger on the end of the slave rod and grind it smooth. Basicly what you have to do is take up the fraction of play that is worn into the clutch fork from years of use, and pedal riding. And some clutches will squeal, some won't. It's just a fraction that we are talking about that will cause it, or not. If you touch the clutch pedal, will it go a way? If it does, there's your answer.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
cchildress
Senior User
I did replace the fork with a new one from ford it was only like 19 bucks and what you are saying about welding in the wear spots on both sides of the fork from "peldal ridding and use over the years is what I was going to do but my dad said no. So I bought a new one. And YES if I push the clutch in a lil it will go away and If I rev it up to 900 rpms it will go away too. When I drove it shifting threw the gears I could hear it over the engine when acelerating.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Well, since you replaced the fork I could only assume that the slave rod is worn, or has play in the slave itself. But all of this is not like it's worn out. It's just that thousandth of an inch we are talking about. Or something got on the face of the throwout bearing, or clutch fingers. At this point, I'd put a thick vaccum cap on the slave rod and see what happens.

Cody, I know all this sounds like complete BS because nothing new should do this. But it's happend to me for every clutch I've replaced. I don't know why. I'm just telling you how I would go about fixing it without tearing the tranny out. Because I did that before. 5 times in 1 day. it sucked.

Or just go buy a new slave and try it. In the end, it's not the clutch, and there's nothing wrong. It's just the luck of the draw that the bearing squeals. I know none of this is what you want to hear, and I'm sorry man.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:26 AM
cchildress
Senior User
Shimming the slave rod makes since so that is what we will try tomorrow and see what happens. It is just that little bit and then once you push just a little on the clutch pedal it goes away or rev to 900rpms. I just wish I had better luck with the bearing. That noise is a just realy realy bad sound and is pretty loud!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Believe me, I wish I had better luck with the bearings too. The ONLY one I ever did that didn't squeal was when we put one of Dan's Double Disks in my best friends Dodge. But we also changed all the hydrolics too. Go figure. I actually have my full ceramic from Dan sitting on the shelf. I can't get this damn LUK to die. It won't hold a launch to save it's azz, but it just won't give up totally. Anyway, when I put it in, I'm gonna try a few different things. I'm gonna skuff the diaphram fingers and the bearing surface with scotch brite. I'm gonna go with a new fork...........OH SNAP!!!!! Just had an idea...Seriously. If after the new fork and all if I still get a squeak. I'll take a ball peen or something of the like and give the new fork slave divot a whack or two from the back side.............Dude, give that a run before you shim the rod and see what happens. Don't flatten it, just maybe enough to kill the squeal. I don't know. It just flew into my head just now. But you would want to back it up with like a body dolly or something heavy as not to damage the fork holder on the bearing. Man, there was a whole thread about this not too long ago. I may have just fixed the world!!!! Okay maybe not.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:38 AM
cchildress
Senior User
Well I will try everything you said and see what happens. Hopefully you have saved my ***!! We dont have a computer in the shop so when I get home latter I will let you know how it all went.

Thanks alot Cody!!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 PM
mchildress
Freshman User
Well I am under my dads name but we changed the trans fluid because it has been over 80,000 miles and it seemed to help a little but the noise is very very loud. You can hear the clutch chatter or gear roll over over the noise of the engine from 30ft away. I know that there is supose to be noise but I would not think this much at all!!! Is this sound the clutch or "gear roll over"? Idk know but it way to loud. If you were to hear this truck at idle you would think something was about to break and fall out of it!!!! I have helped put a south bend dual disk clutch in dodge 12 valve and put a clutch in a 99 psd and the dodge lil to none noise but psd had a some but alot less than what I have. I am not trying to compare dodge to ford but should it be this loud???

A little bit of chatter would be uderstandable but this is waaaay to much!
Im not trying to say anything bad about valiar or anything at all in what I am writting.
I know that all trucks and clutches are different but but what I have now is LOUD!!

Thanks Cody

Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
97REDPSD
Senior User
I don't know if this help but I always put grease on throw out bearings where it touches pressure plate.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 PM
cchildress
Senior User
I did not put grease there but I did put a little grease on the shaft that it rides on.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Cody, I'm out of idea's. I'll email this link to Dan.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Valair1
Freshman User
Ok let me see if i can explain this, the gear rollover is caused from engine spikes passd through the drive line, the DMF or Dual Mass flywheel eliminates the spikes, so when you convert it to a solid flywheel, the spikes transfer to the main shaft rattling the gears, ther are lots of factors that come into play, like how smooth you engine runs, a bad injector or pump problems can add to the spikes therfore more causing rattle. which hub design did you get, the HD hub rattles more than the OE type. But it is much stronger as well. remove the engine spikes and it will elliminate your rattle, it is not a bearing, fork or anything else it is gear rollover or gear clatter. it wont hurt anything but can be annoying, you could always put a dual mass back in, but it wont hold up to much abuse. for the difference in cost, the dual mass being twice as much, it would make more since to look into a fluid dampner.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
cchildress
Senior User
Im going to add some extra trans fluid to it and then see how much quieter it gets. I have been looking into fluid dampners and have read that some people have broke their cranks because of the added weight on the front of the engine. Has any body herd of Guys Super Dampners. They say that they way less?

Other than the clatter the clutch operates fine and feels great, just that clatter. Hopefully over time it will quiet down.