1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrogen Superdutys?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:35 PM
superduty2004
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hydrogen Superdutys?

Is there any superdutys that run on hydrogen or do u all think im crazy, id likee to hear what people think and have to say about it

Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM
89stinger
Senior User
Haven't heard of one that does run on Hydrogen yet.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:26 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Ford showed what I recall was an E450 passenger-van with a supercharged V10 with three different fuels available. Gas, hydrogren, and I think propane/natural-gas.

That was about 2 (or 3) years ago - nothing mentioned since.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
You might want to do a search on the Alternative Fuels forum here. There's a lot of discussion on HHO injection. Basically, it's a small HHO generator that pipes the hydrogen over to the intake manifold where it's mixed in with the regular air. It's basically a "hybrid" approach where you are still running on your primary fuel source, but you are supplementing it with hydrogen, thus significantly extending your fuel mileage.

TX

Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Heres an article on a hydrogen V10 in an E-series shuttle. Ford V-10 Hydrogen Engine Powers Shuttle | Green Car .com

Notice the absolutely poor power output on hydrogen. Thats a supercharged 2V 6.8l with something like 15 lbs of boost. Just think what the same engine would pump out on race gas.

On a side note I think Hydrogen is the future fuel and deserves a lot more effort put into improving it.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:14 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is not a factory option yet, but a hydrogen hybrid kit that can be installed into any vehicle is already available. I have not heard of any applications where it has been done with a diesel, but it has been done to gas vehicles with VERY promising and repeatable results.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Got a link to the kit? I've read the opposite results.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:34 PM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Originally Posted by dkf
Got a link to the kit? I've read the opposite results.
Google words like: HHO Fuel, or Water for Fuel, etc. Same thing on YouTube.

You'll get a lot of hits. But read and be informed. I'd suggest going through the thread that 03_PSD posted above. It's long, but it goes through a lot of the actual installs and experiments that Ford guys here are trying.

There's a handful of "kits" out there, and a lot of plans for DIY'ers.

TX

Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Didn't realize they were being used on diesels, only heard about gasser use. Seems a lot of guys are willing to use their $40k truck as a lab rat, Not this boy.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Originally Posted by dkf
Didn't realize they were being used on diesels, only heard about gasser use. Seems a lot of guys are willing to use their $40k truck as a lab rat, Not this boy.

not i either. ill wait for the factory package...besides, where can you fill up with HHO? the local praxair dealer? lol...before you know it home depot is going to offer HHO exchanges...lol

Old 06-03-2008, 12:15 PM
RARE_1
Junior User
Here is another thread on the topic: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...on-thread.html

Not looking at pure HHO combustion, more looking at combustion assistance.

The more the merrier, join the fun!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:57 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I think the problem with 100% hydrogen comes from the lack of oxygen in plain "air" to light it off at a reasonable power level. Hence the reason for mechanically-forced-induction (blower)

The "assist" factor is something I never considered.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 PM
RARE_1
Junior User
Originally Posted by krewat
I think the problem with 100% hydrogen comes from the lack of oxygen in plain "air" to light it off at a reasonable power level. Hence the reason for mechanically-forced-induction (blower)

The "assist" factor is something I never considered.

If you look at some of the other threads on the subject you will see that the amount of HHO or Browns gas that is being injected into the air/fuel mixture is a very small ratio. The idea is that the HHO explosion burns the fuel more completely, releasing more of the energy and producing less unused fuel. Around here no one is expecting any more than a few extra MPG for a reasonable cost.

Running a pure hydrogen system is a whole other ball of wax and IMO not the domain of your typical backyard hack. I used to consult for Ballard Power Systems as a Network Analyst and I'll tell you, they don't have a bunch of half-brained jokers like me working on their fuel cells. The difference there is that they are trying to run on Hydrogen systems and there is an energy cost involved with getting the H in the first place. I expect to be able to use excess electrical energy to get my HHO. Because our truck's system runs entirely off of diesel (and water/electrolyte/stainless steel) we can easily see if we are using more energy or less. Or at the very least, more money or less.

If nothing else, it's fun to talk about!

And based on my reading, the diesels are better suited for the HHO assistance because they don't use an oxygen sensor. In a modern gas car if you introduce HHO the sensor sees the extra oxygen and increases the fuel to compensate. This is a non-issue for our trucks.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM
huntnfishndrink
New User
Originally Posted by RARE_1
And based on my reading, the diesels are better suited for the HHO assistance because they don't use an oxygen sensor. In a modern gas car if you introduce HHO the sensor sees the extra oxygen and increases the fuel to compensate. This is a non-issue for our trucks.
I've been doing quite a bit of reading lately on hydrogen injection and I am going to give it a try on my 2000 F-250 4X4 Crew V-10. I decided that $49.99 wasn't a bad investment if the technology actually improves my mileage. If not, then I'm only out about 10 gallons of fuel. I really love my truck and would hate to let it go because of fuel prices.

What I found was that, yes, the increased oxygen causes the O2 sensor to tell the computer to increase the amount of fuel. There are a few ways to fix this, or "trick" the sensors. You can make or buy an EFIE (Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer) which sends an offset voltage to the sensors so they don't notice the extra oxygen, or you can buy oxygen sensor extenders which take the sensor head farther away from the source. All this info is on the Brown's Gas webpage Browns gas / HHO fuel savers

There is also some info about a discovery in May 08 that the hydrogen can be injected directly in the fuel line, thus eliminating the need for the EFIE or extenders, but the info won't be available until July (according to the website) I'm going to work on a cell for my truck and find the sensor extenders to see what kind of a difference it makes.

I'll report back my results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydrogen Superdutys?