General Automotive Discussion

Thinking about jumping ship...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 PM
pitrow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about jumping ship...

ok, to start off, I love my fords dearly and have always been a ford man. But last year both my brother and dad bought 2007 dodge rams with the diesel. Man those are nice rigs. Now with dodge's $2.99 gas/diesel for three years incentive it's making it hard for me not to jump ship and get a new ram diesel.

Even with diesel costing roughly $1 more per gallon than regular, the increased fuel mileage of the new truck vs. my expedition would mean about $3000 in savings over the three years with the $2.99/gal for the first 12,000 miles in a year.

Someone talk me into/out of this...

Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
So just how does the "2.99 gas/diesel for three years incentive" work anyway?

BTW, just a thought, but your calculated $3000 savings is good leverage to work a deal with any other truck manufacturer.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM
pitrow
Elder User
I've been going through the fine print and it looks like you get a credit card and when you buy fuel on that card they reduce the cost of that purchase to $2.99/gallon. Not completely sure how it all works, like how they calculate how many gallons you've bought, etc. and how they know how many miles you've driven... still looking for that information.

That's true, I didn't think about leveraging that to another dealer. Couple that with the fact I'll be paying cash and I've got some decent bargaining power...

Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But they also limit you to 12,000 miles a year on the gas card which is in the fine print on the bottom of the ad on tv

Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 PM
brown 4x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it apply to diesels also? Everytime I've heard or seen an ad, it only mentions that "gas" will be locked at $2.99. I don't think I've heard one mentioning diesel trucks either.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> Not completely sure how it all works

Me too, how do they keep track of miles and gallons? Do you have to buy the gas from a certain brand? questions questions questions

Old 05-29-2008, 12:00 AM
gweeds
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brown 4x4
Does it apply to diesels also? Everytime I've heard or seen an ad, it only mentions that "gas" will be locked at $2.99. I don't think I've heard one mentioning diesel trucks either.
Every time I've seen it Ive heard gas and diesel, but then they say "excludes srt, fleet vehicles, and bla bla bla talking way to fast omg slow down damn I missed it."

Around here #2 diesel just hit 5.25 a gallon. Getting it locked in at 2.99 would be a darn sweet deal.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Well the Cummins IS nice, I won't lie to you. But if you don't need a change, then why make one? If it ain't broke don't fix it, so why jump for an adertising gimmick?

Unless the Exped is giving you troubles I'd say keep it. That three grand shrinks after tax, title, liscence, insurance, etc.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Traderjoe28
Senior User
The advertisements running in my area specify "regular gas" only. The deal doesn't apply to diesel fuel, I believe. Ask before you commit.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
pitrow
Elder User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Unless the Exped is giving you troubles I'd say keep it.
Well that's part of it. The expy is starting to show signs of wear and is coming up on some major repairs. It needs tires, front shocks, brakes all around, I'm pretty sure the ball joints in the front need replacing, the tranny has been acting up lately and I'm guessing it's getting ready to need a rebuild, and then just last week the service engine light came on. I haven't scanned the codes yet to see what the issue is, but with my luck it'll be something expensive.

So I'm just kinda thinking about getting out from under it quick and since dodge has this nice incentive, it might just make it worthwhile.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM
pitrow
Elder User
Originally Posted by Traderjoe28
The advertisements running in my area specify "regular gas" only. The deal doesn't apply to diesel fuel, I believe. Ask before you commit.
From the dodge website:

This offer consists of a specific number of price-protected gallons of fuel at $2.99 per gallon* for regular 87 octane unleaded, E85, or diesel purchases,

Me too, how do they keep track of miles and gallons? Do you have to buy the gas from a certain brand? questions questions questions
So, it looks like the way it works is you get a "Let's Refuel America Card" that you use to fill up at gas stations, and you have to refuel from a station that accepts that card. Looks like the list is fairly extensive though. The card keeps track of gallons and then charges your credit card for that many gallons at $2.99 a gallon.
As far as the miles go, they list an MPG figure for each vehicle, and then use that to figure out the amount of gallons you're allocated. For the Ram 2500 it's 2400 gallons. If you go over that amount then the let's refuel america card won't authorize anymore purchases.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:16 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pitrow
I've been going through the fine print and it looks like you get a credit card and when you buy fuel on that card they reduce the cost of that purchase to $2.99/gallon. Not completely sure how it all works, like how they calculate how many gallons you've bought, etc. and how they know how many miles you've driven... still looking for that information.

That's true, I didn't think about leveraging that to another dealer. Couple that with the fact I'll be paying cash and I've got some decent bargaining power...
yep, then i am sure there is a min 10% APR. most people wont be able to pay these credit cards off monthy......

Old 05-29-2008, 07:18 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking about jumping ship too.I'm going to look at a 1987 Chevrolet Suburban tomorrow.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Tired Rebel
I'm thinking about jumping ship too.I'm going to look at a 1987 Chevrolet Suburban tomorrow.

boy, its the wrong time to be driving a suburban.... $4 fuel dont go far with those honkers

Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what would keep someone from using the card for gas in another vehicle besides a dodge? I have had a few dodge cars and never had any major problems,I would buy one again given the chance. Then take the gas card and fill my gas guzzler truck for 2.99 a gal

Quick Reply: Thinking about jumping ship...