'computer' issue??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 PM
etaube
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'computer' issue??

here goes...

went to start my truck the other day and i noticed the odometer did not read. so i shut it off..and restarted. same. so i went with it cause i need to get home. as i was driving off, the trans shifted at a really high rpm and pretty rough shift. the overdrive light is blinking off and on...and the speedometer is not registering. there are no other warning lights on whatsoever..not a battery light..nothin...just the o/d light flashing. oh, and the door locks don't work...weird thing is that when i push the lock button, the parking lights come on as long as i am holding the button. this morning there was no problem. drove a couple places today and no problem. got to work, it happened again...as i parked it. it drove to work fine..no shifting problems..nothing. parked it, then i had no speedometer/odometer and couldn't lock the doors.

didn't correct itself yet.

is this a 'computer' issue???

i guess could take it to autozone and ask them, but thought this would definitely be the better place to ask.

thanks in advance!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:05 AM
93f1505.0L
Elder User
Sounds like Widgets to me. Sorry I cant help but im sure others can. My WAG is something is shorted out. I would pull the codes and see what you have and go from there. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that is some kinda problem. My guess is that it isn't a computer problem since it involves the lights and locks but I could be wrong. I would start under the dash and inspect the wires very good and see if anything is shorted out or burnt. Check all the fuses. Look under the hood where the wires come thru the firewall for problems. Other than that one high RPM shift does it run normal?
Others will be by soon to help with pics and ground locations.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Check fuse number 8 in the dash panel. Also does your truck have keyless entry?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:25 AM
etaube
Freshman User
glitch?

yes, it is keyless entry...which doesn't work when this problem is happening. everything else works fine..and when the problem isn't 'happening' then everything is great..shifts normal..no problems..keyless works..locks work. everything. i guess i'll go to autozone to check.

ohh..and the fuse..that's what i was gonna check in the first place too, but being that it 'corrected' itself and then screwed up again..this wouldn't be a fuse problem right?

:sighs:

Old 05-23-2008, 09:47 AM
etaube
Freshman User
#8 fuse

ok..i checked the #8 fuse........it is still 'complete' but one of the prongs was crooked. not that that should cause the problem, but i took it out...straightened it and put it back. no problems now. could the problem possibly 'fixed' itself overnight?...i dunno. maybe it is just the #8 fuse...maybe it was trying to wiggle out of the 'clamps' that hold it in place and with vibrations and whatnot, it decided to cause some problems.

question is...(which i haven't tried yet)...if the fuse was bad or just taken out..would i have the same problems?
i suppose i could try.

thanks for the #8 suggestion!!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Probably not a fuse but stranger things have happened. Check the fuse then if its ok unplug the keyless entry module. It under the dash directly behind the cubby. It has three long flat connectors on it stacked like a three man pyramid. I have had the module go bad which blew the fuse and rendered all those items dead. Perhaps the module is going bad or the wiring to it.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:49 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

If the fuse was blown or taken out all those thing still would not work. Maybe there is a wiring issue.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
X2 with Tj.
Unplug it for awhile and see what happens.

Tj
Does the trucks have lighted buttons?
I ask this just do to the fact of a possible feedback short from the drivers door. The wiring from the drivers door to the piller takes a beating over time.

In the E-series its a common problem in the rear doors.
It will even blow out the speakers.

Bill

Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
X3.
The same thing just happened to me. it's your RKE, which controls you speedometer, which controls shifts which...

Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by MADVAN
X2 with Tj.
Unplug it for awhile and see what happens.

Tj
Does the trucks have lighted buttons?
I ask this just do to the fact of a possible feedback short from the drivers door. The wiring from the drivers door to the piller takes a beating over time.

In the E-series its a common problem in the rear doors.
It will even blow out the speakers.

Bill
No lighted button (I wish though!!). I am guessing this instance there is a power distrubution problem. The only common thread between the Speedo and RKE is the fuse which they get their power from. In my case the RKE was blowing the fuse so then everything went out.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
etaube
Freshman User
rke

alright..guess i'll have to try that.

hopefully i can get to it soon....i just have no time right now to do anything. my luck..it's more than that...but for now it's working...

thanks for all the info..i will post again when i know more.

thanks!

Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
No lighted button (I wish though!!). I am guessing this instance there is a power distrubution problem. The only common thread between the Speedo and RKE is the fuse which they get their power from. In my case the RKE was blowing the fuse so then everything went out.
10-4

Bill