6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

LOW MPG! Towing even lower!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:59 AM
karynzoo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOW MPG! Towing even lower!

04, f250 Crew cab short bed. I pull a 21' modest LQ horse trailer weighs about 9000 full.

First problem - the truck bounces like crazy pulling this trailer. Not sure if the shocks are through and they're bottoming out or what. Gonna have my horse trailer guy look at it this week.

Second problem - accelerating from a stop the truck seems like it's dying and my MPG is in the toilet around 8 MPG. THe Tow mode seems to really drag on the takeoff. I had this problem with my bumper pull trailer too and that was 1/2 the weight and not on the axle.

Normally city I get 12mpg and highway about 15mpg which I think is horrible as well. I don't dog it either, I drive pretty conservatively.

When I bought it at 14k miles I found the oasis report from the dealer and it's pretty long but I was hoping alot of stuff was resolved. It's got 43k on it now and is all stock. I started using dieselkleen to try to help.

I like the truck and its done well for me thus far but now I'm wondering if the turbo is acting up or something major is going wrong. I found a good dealership to work on my truck but need some ideas before I'm out of my truck for awhile.

Any suggestions on these two problems...please???????

Old 05-19-2008, 11:47 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it takes forever to get up to speed like you have no top end its signs of a sticking turbo or EGR valve.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
karynzoo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
while towing that is definately the case. With just the truck the turbo seems to kick in a tad early but does do well. I do have lag from acceleration from a stop but i'm "told" thats normal.

Towing - once I get up past 40mph it seems to do okay but on inclines I really gotta give it the "gas" to keep it going.

I trailed empty and it does really well keeping up around 55-60mph but sure does drink the diesel.

I'm going to take it into the big ford diesel shop in the next town over for a look over. I've gotta get a front end alignment anyway from pulled out from being stuck with my LQ trailer in some soft ground last Saturday. Just wanna have all the issues on the table when I go so they can check it over. I have an after market warranty so that should help to make it a little less painful.