1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Back Up Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 04:55 PM
gusso
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back Up Lights

Hi All,

Anyone have any ideas on how to (where to) put back up lights on a `56?
I`m looking for lights and a place to install them that would be almost unseen. Any ideas I`d like to hear. Any gallery pics I`d like to see. Thanks

Gusso

Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I will be interested to see this also. I have thought about it on my 49. The best thought that I have had is to incorporate the lights a custom trailer hitch under the rear bed crossmember and tucked SS bumper. My taillights are 42 Ford car in the crossmember so I need to stay with oval or rectangular back up lights.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Just a dumb idea, but if I was going to have back up lights (hidden) on my 51 f1 I would look at mounting small rubber housing seal beams (4411?) tractor / big truck loading / backup lamps up inside the rear frame around the rear diff or more forward, out of sight but when turned on would shine rearwards and down? See it was a dumb idea! Being wrong keeps me humble!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Backup lights? We don't need no stinkin' back up lights...just always go forward! Thank you. Thank you very much...

Old 05-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are making very small driving lights that could be used as backup lights that are mounted out of sight tucked up in the frame. Since they do throw a lot of light they do not need to be displayed on the back of the vehicle.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back up lights could easily be mounted to the bumper brackets. If they hung down just enough to shine below the bumper, they wouldn't be seen unless you were pretty far back from the truck and even then, they would be in a dark area. There is even a hole to mount them where the two brackets are bolted together between their attachment to the frame and the attachment to the bumper.

Some small road lamps from an off road store would work perfectly.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:56 PM
gusso
Elder User
All right Guys,

You got me thinking with your great ideas. I`ll just keep brainstorming with this info
and I`ll come up with something. Thanks. I guess no one has anything in their
gallery?
Thanks again.

Gary

Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,920 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Gary,

I can't wait to see what you come up with so I can copy it. At the car show over the weekend I saw some really neat small round clear lights on the back of a 49 Merc. I couldn't find the owner to see where he got them though.

I've been toying around with using some side marker lights. I know that some late 60's GM vehicles had some relatively small rectangular (1"x2") light mounted on the front fenders ahead of the wheels. I'd probably mount them in the rear bed sill below the tailgate.

I also like Kusto's idea of having them hidden.

Bobby

Old 05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
gusso
Elder User
Bobby ,
I like Kusto`s idea also. What I`m toying with is some sort of light that, with a press of a button, will gear down 90 degrees, and light up. I`m sure they are made. Its just a matter of finding a source. Anyway, Bobby, Keep those icy pops close by. Oh, and by the way,
copy anything. I consider it a great compliment.
Thanks for the input.
Gary

Old 05-20-2008, 05:40 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gusso
Bobby ,
I like Kusto`s idea also. What I`m toying with is some sort of light that, with a press of a button, will gear down 90 degrees, and light up. I`m sure they are made. Its just a matter of finding a source. Gary
Hey, nice idea.. if you find some, let me know.. I could use them too.. No bumper and I'm not putting more holes in the roll pan.

Sam

Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM
gusso
Elder User
Sam

I looked on line all day yesterday and was not able to find anything. Looked every where in auto and aircraft but could not find anything. If and when I find something, I`ll
let you know.

Gary

Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 PM
55 dude
Senior User
maybe some old headlight mechanism's would work. i did see a neat trick using polished stainless to redirect the light and seemed to work fine.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Light

Gusso: I remember that a single engine aircraft had a landing light under the wing near the outer wing tip that geared down for landing. I don't remember which one. Google aircraft salvage and maybe something will turn up so you can ask. Here in Kansas City: White industry's located a little east of KC on I-70. Have a great day,chuck

Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 PM
gusso
Elder User
Chuck
I googled aircraft yesterday and found a used light with a gear like I was looking for
but they wanted $300.00 for it. (used one) I also googled for headlight mechanisms.
Found corvette headlight but they also were very expensive. 55dudes idea to redirect
the light with a polished s steel sounds like it should be looked into.
Want to thank everyone who posted ideas here. You guys are great and given lots
of food for thought. Something will pop up and we will get it done. Thanks
Gary

Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm not sure if the motor is strong enough but what about the retraceable rear license plate mechanism use on street rods?

Quick Reply: Back Up Lights