6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR Cooler Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EGR Cooler Question

If Ive over heated the truck Ive been told that the egr cooler could melt... now lets say my egr cooler is melted but im doing the egr delete mod. Would I have to replace the egr cooler? or just leave it and make sure the coolant hoses are in good condition?

thanks

Old 05-15-2008, 11:56 PM
00excdiesel
Junior User
so are you doing the egr delete mod or just blocking it off? they are 2 different kits. the delete kit is just that. it takes it out of your truck completely. the blocking kit blocks the inlet and outlet of the exhaust flow into and out of the egr. if you mean the blocking kit then no, you would not have to replace it because the coolant will just fill the egr tube and still go on about its course. unless of course you dont seal off the ends good enough then coolant would be leaking out the ends of the cooler onto the top of the motor under the intake.
hope that answers your question
clarence

Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 PM
BobsF350
Elder User
define DELETE
If you are going the little plate blockoff in the upPIPE that wont fix your problem

If you are removing and welding exh in and exh out then your good to go

Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 AM
doubledee715
Elder User
I've never heard of an egr cooler literally melting...that's hot!

Old 05-16-2008, 05:34 AM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
im having it weld shut... my truck is currently get the ARP studs done so I might as well have them block it from the up pipe.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Blocking from the up-pipe will block the exhaust flow through the EGR cooler but not the coolant flow. If the EGR cooler has been damaged and is leaking then you'll need to replace or remove it.
  • EGR block-off or bypass only blocks the exhaust from going through the cooler
  • EGR delete removes the EGR cooler completely, no exhaust or coolant flows through
Congrats on the studs! It's a great feeling.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Danno126
Junior User
Who makes or how could one go about deleting the cooler?

Old 05-16-2008, 01:57 PM
00excdiesel
Junior User
i am making my own delete kit as we speak. you can also buy it from liberator diesel
Ford Products

i am taking pics for those that want to know how to do it or take the pics to someone else and have a shop make it. it is quite simple but time consuming. i thought i would delete it while i put in my headstuds as well.
clarence

on another note, you still need that coolant flow that is supposed to go through the cooler.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Originally Posted by 00excdiesel
on another note, you still need that coolant flow that is supposed to go through the cooler.
So it's a cooler delete/bypass? Looking forward to the pics!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
Originally Posted by Kepler4
Blocking from the up-pipe will block the exhaust flow through the EGR cooler but not the coolant flow. If the EGR cooler has been damaged and is leaking then you'll need to replace or remove it.
  • EGR block-off or bypass only blocks the exhaust from going through the cooler
  • EGR delete removes the EGR cooler completely, no exhaust or coolant flows through
Congrats on the studs! It's a great feeling.
yea im blocking it off from the upipe and blocking off the entrance and exit to the egr cooler as well. Here are some pics from a few hours ago.. Im also replacing the entire cooling system because I blew the radiator and even went as far as melting the reservoir tank up top behind the air filter...

Old 05-16-2008, 09:50 PM
adamsre
Senior User

wow, very brave. Congrats on the new found confidence the studs will give!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
hey thanks now I am confident for sure and im also confident im probably going to go on my 5th tranny and possibly a rear drive shaft or 2.. LMAO she also loves destroying rear ring and pinions and front hubs... I love my truck!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
oh and for the experts I have a question... there were scuff marks in the cylinder walls not all of them but some... they were in a vertical direction looked kinda like dark lines but when we ran our nails across you could not feel any grooves what so ever it was just visual marks, my heads were warped and getting resurfaced but those scuff marks were my only concern... maybe the rings are bad too? i dont know... she never lost any power.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Hey George, How much are they machining off the heads? My understanding is there's not much material for 'shaving' the heads. Just a cautionary note for you, a lot of Techs replace 'em instead of maching them flat.

RE: destroying r&p's and front hubs... the price we pay for monster torque from the 6.0!

Keep us posted on progress!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:30 PM
stevestroke01
Senior User
Originally Posted by Industrial_dude
yea im blocking it off from the upipe and blocking off the entrance and exit to the egr cooler as well. Here are some pics from a few hours ago.. Im also replacing the entire cooling system because I blew the radiator and even went as far as melting the reservoir tank up top behind the air filter...

IMHO I would delete (not block off )the whole EGR system since you have the cab lifted and it would be a breeze to do.

Quick Reply: EGR Cooler Question