Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side sits to low

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 AM
rostena
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers side sits to low

I have an 89 f150 and part of the frame on the drivers side was cracked and broken in three or four different places. anyways I put a new section of frame in there and now the drivers side sits way lower then the passenger side. Is the any way to put some kind of a spacer in there to bring it up a little?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM
gweeds
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you just want to raise one side of the cab you can use body lift spacers, or use hockey pucks. All you need is the spacer and a longer bolt. There may be other consequences of doing this tho, such as radiator shroud clearance, steering shaft, etc... Ive never done a body lift on these, so I don't know. You'll also have to adjust the bumper to make it look right.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever you do DO NOT USE A HOCKEY PUCK!!!! That is some of the worst advice i have ever heard... How much of a difference is it? If its a big difference, i would look at the frame again, make sure you got everything on straight... Check body mounts and make sure they are in the same position on each side...

Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 PM
rostena
Senior User
I was wondering if i could put something between the axle and coil spring. could I do that?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:20 PM
gweeds
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
Whatever you do DO NOT USE A HOCKEY PUCK!!!! That is some of the worst advice i have ever heard...
Really? Ive heard of lots of people doing successful body lifts with hockey pucks, especially the explorer people. Do a search, it works. While its not the best idea, if you don't have the money to buy a whole body lift (which I'm against in the first place.) its a legitimate solution.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 AM
dave2
Senior User
Just get you a bigger girlfriend........

Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 AM
bluesman2333
Senior User
Originally Posted by rostena
I have an 89 f150 and part of the frame on the drivers side was cracked and broken in three or four different places. anyways I put a new section of frame in there and now the drivers side sits way lower then the passenger side. Is the any way to put some kind of a spacer in there to bring it up a little?
Sounds like you did the frame repair wrong. I wouldn't drive the thing until you replaced frame with one from a bone yard, or scrap the truck. Welding frames is a big deal and since you didn't get it right, you prolly made other mistakes you don't know about yet, ones that could kill you.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Truckin4life
Originally Posted by gweeds
Really? Ive heard of lots of people doing successful body lifts with hockey pucks, especially the explorer people. Do a search, it works. While its not the best idea, if you don't have the money to buy a whole body lift (which I'm against in the first place.) its a legitimate solution.
I am not 100 percent against body lifts... but i am 99 percent against them... If you INSIST on going with a body lift then atleast get the appropriate hardware... and when you buy a body lift... junk the nuts and bolts... upgrade to grade 8 ATLEAST. I have seen to many bodys sliding... moving around... or just about coming off all together because of a poorly done body lift. While yea hockey pucks work... so do 2x4's and boat rollers and many other things...
The only body lift i would really feel safe with is steel blocks WELDED to the frame, and ATLEAST grade 8 hardware used to bolt the body to the blocks...

Also the only time i would think a body lift is appropriate would be to clear bigger engines... I.E. diesel swaps... or anything along those lines.

Im not tryin to come off like an a hole ive just seen to many people donig things that are completely ignorant... Be safe and do it right... Or learn the hard way...

Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
littleme13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bluesman2333
Sounds like you did the frame repair wrong. I wouldn't drive the thing until you replaced frame with one from a bone yard, or scrap the truck. Welding frames is a big deal and since you didn't get it right, you prolly made other mistakes you don't know about yet, ones that could kill you.

x2 what he said, if its not lining up right something is serisously wrong and peoples lives maybe at stake if its not adressed. simply trying to cover up the fact it leans to one side is for lack of better words stupid. when that frame lets go at 70 on the highway its gonna take out whom ever is around you and i dont want to read about what it does to your truck when it lets go.

as truckin said not trying to be rude or anything of that nature, but safety should always be your #1 concern and the frame is not something you want to half azz

Old 05-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Truckin4life
Originally Posted by bluesman2333
wow i some how missed this post...

I also agree 100%
Rep points for you buddy!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
dragogt
Posting Guru
Yep, I gotta agree 100% with Bluesman and Truckin.

and X2 on the rep.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:24 PM
citygator
Freshman User
I'll Jus Jump In An Say Ditto On Da Bluesman

Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Truckin4life
Not starting an argument here

But are you just jumping on or do you agree with what he said and why?

Old 05-15-2008, 05:35 AM
dave2
Senior User
All BS aside, you should be able to take it to a decent (not Sears or Walmart)front end alignment shop (if it's as bad as you say, alignment will be just a twinkle in the eye) and get a check. They'll either fix the problem or tell you why they can't. That will take out the guesswork for you in the repairs. I've seen plenty of cars/trucks with rusted out floorboards/body mounts fixed with plywood and roof tar. Those days are long gone though.

Dave

Dave

Old 05-15-2008, 08:45 AM
dragogt
Posting Guru
And while your there have the check the frame out.