1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I was Confused...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:06 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
lightly toasted is where the updates are restricted to those that add safety or reliability only, i.e. 12V conversions, alternators, turn signals, seat belts, driver's door keylock, halogen sealed beam bulbs, radial tires, etc.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks AX! I think you and I are going to get along VERY WELL.

Not sure about how to respond to everyones comments about having a "Flattie" in the truck....ahemmmmm.

Not my problem!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, now you've got it...

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Ok it was clear now I'm confused again. Are you guys trying to tell me there are "shades of Dark Side" based on the amount of unstockedness one modifies too.

Do we have: "The Dim Side:" if you only do headers, or " The Dusk Side " for only a 9" rear? Maybe "25 Watt Side" for non stock paint.

You guys are funny.

Juls!

Hi Julie,
Yep, that's kinda how it seems to work. So, grab your 429, a C6 and a 9" Ford rear end and hop on over. BTW, our cookies are zero calories.

Later Girl...

Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 AM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's about the extent of it. With VERY few exceptions, we all have at least SOMEthing "dark" about our truck. The 100% restoration would be extremely difficult to do, even if that were the initial idea. In almost 40 years of working on cars, and mostly various stages of restoration, I have only seen and known of ONE personally, that was 100%. It was a 1934 Ford Phaeton. This was in 1970 or so. Every single nut, bolt, screw, and piece was off an original 1934 Phaeton! Even the paint was old-stock from a Ford place, original material was used on the interior, etc, etc. Back then, it was worth $20,000, which was a fortune! The gent who put it together, had two cars he had done, in Harrah's Museum. Truly an amazing vehicle.

But, it's hard these days to be able to do that. Paint? Well, we usually have to settle for modern paints, in a traditional color. I don't know of ANY bolts made today, that are as good as the original bolts on my truck. Cheaper steel. Minimally engineered. A grade-8 back then was overkilled, while today, I'm sure it just barely makes the grade (pun intended).

Add that to the fact that a lot of the parts were expected to last 20 years, tops, and now it's 50+ years, even if you find one NOS (new old-stock), there are a lot of times that piece is beyond use.

Again, mines going to be close, actually, very close. But, I will never call it restored. But, hopefully everyone does their's to their own satisfaction, and are happy with it when they are done. Nothing worse than getting done, and saying "man, I wish I had...". Been there, done that. At least now I have enough patience to stop and think about what I'm doing, before I do it. I've only had my truck since last fall, and it has changed directions several times. Started out, I was going to keep outside and interior old school, but modernize drive train. Then, was talked into keeping the flathead, so the entire drivetrain is almost rebuilt - rearend yet to go. Then, I was just going to paint the fenders, front, and running boards black, and leave the ugly hosed-on red. Now, the cab is off, totally stripped, and the body work under way. Even with all that work, I am NOT going original paint colors - I like two-tone way too much, but they will be period-correct color, just not scheme. So, even though I would consider mine 90%+ "bright light", that 10% "dark" is virtually unavoidable.

And, we'll continue to kid each other, about dark and light. It keeps up going. I think almost to a person, we respect each other, and even though sometimes the banter "seems" harsh, we just love to see each other's projects and progress. But, it's all in good nature.

Of course, the '48/50 - '51/52 debate is an entirely different story! Those of us with beautiful trucks keep the '48/50 owners jealous...and they ALWAYS strike out, solely out of meanness.

(bring it on!!)

Keep us posted on your project! And if no one has mentioned, we like pictures. Lot's of pictures.

R

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Ok it was clear now I'm confused again. Are you guys trying to tell me there are "shades of Dark Side" based on the amount of unstockedness one modifies too.

Do we have: "The Dim Side:" if you only do headers, or " The Dusk Side " for only a 9" rear? Maybe "25 Watt Side" for non stock paint.

You guys are funny.

Juls!