Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic clutch question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hydraulic clutch question...

Hi Folks,
I'm pretty sure I have never visited or posted in this forum before but I think this may be the best place for my question.

I have a five speed manual transmission from an '89 F-150 that was coupled with a 300 six. I am going to use it in another project truck. When I got it I noticed that when it was removed they just cut the hydraulic line to the clutch slave cylinder. I was under the impression that this is a kind of quick disconnet fitting but I can't seem to figure out how to get it apart. Below is are pictures of it.

It could be that this thing is just "STUCK", but I don't want to damage the connection so I am very hesitant to force anything. I'm pretty sure one of you folks on this forum has experience with this so I decided to ask how to get this apart here. I would appreciate any help I can get. Pictures and/or a link to some instructional help would be great. I'm an old geezer and my experiences dealt with older mechanical linkage set up.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks have to offer.

Later Folks...

Old 08-06-2010, 09:36 AM
leavy20
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cant be 100% but i believe there is a tool to release it. it is a "quick" disconnect.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
It can be done with small screw drivers. In the second picture, see the little bit of green in the sleeve of the line going into the slave? You push that green part in toward the tranny with screw drivers if you don't have a line tool and the line will come off.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Thanks Man...

I knew there had to be a trick and I did suspect there was a tool. I'm sure that is something I can make as I have a small machine shop here. I was kid of hoping that someone will come up with a picture of the tool and/or the procedure. At least I have the cut off line to practice on but I did do want to damage the connector on the tranny. I will give the small screw driver idea a try after lunch. I think I can already visualize a tool for the job. I'm I correct in assuming re-assembly is just a matter of pushing the connector back together and requires no tool?

Later Folks...

Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Yes, the line just pushes back together like an air hose connection.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Yeah... That's the ticket !!!

That video really helps. I think I have seen at least one of their videos before that showed how to bleed and fill the hydraulic system. It looks to me like it might be a good idea to get one of their connectors.

If you look at my build thread for my project, CLICK HERE, and work your way to the bottom of page 2 out of 6 pages you will see what I am trying to do.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Later Man...

Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
^ incredible work! That truck will be nice when your done! Nice project.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
^ incredible work! That truck will be nice when your done! Nice project.
Thanks Man,

"When your done' is the prime factor on that project. At my age I have to worry about living long enough to get it done.

BTW, You and anyone else are invited to join our little group over there.

Later...

Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
02FX45.4
Junior User
Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 02FX45.4

OK... What I got at that link was an ad for a Sears washer and dryer...

Is that what you intended??? If so I don't get the connection. Does that have Ford truck parts in it???

Clue me in...

Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
It can be done with small screw drivers. In the second picture, see the little bit of green in the sleeve of the line going into the slave? You push that green part in toward the tranny with screw drivers if you don't have a line tool and the line will come off.
By comparison to other stuff I have here I discovered that the nylon plastic ring that is in the video is missing from this tranny. I also noticed that the connector on the clutch slave cylinder is bent a bit so I think I will need to buy the improved piece advertised in the video.

Later...

Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Another question....

I decided that before using this tranny I want to install a new throw out bearing. I assume it is necessary to remove the whole assembly including the throw out bearing to do this. I haven't quite figured out how the bearing comes off. Anybody???

Later...

Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 PM
02FX45.4
Junior User
Originally Posted by dave boley
OK... What I got at that link was an ad for a Sears washer and dryer...

Is that what you intended??? If so I don't get the connection. Does that have Ford truck parts in it???

Clue me in...
The link didn't work as I hoped it would. It is a clutch line disconnect tool made be KD tools. I'll try it again and it should work. That one is from Northern Tool but the KD Tool one is identical to it.https://www.northerntool.com/images/...9094209_lg.jpg

Old 08-06-2010, 02:02 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 02FX45.4
The link didn't work as I hoped it would. It is a clutch line disconnect tool made be KD tools. I'll try it again and it should work. That one is from Northern Tool but the KD Tool one is identical to it.https://www.northerntool.com/images/...9094209_lg.jpg
OK. I was just fooling with you on that one. I suspected it was something like that. It did surprise me though...

Quick Reply: Hydraulic clutch question...