Sponsored by: DP Tuner

how to increase mpg

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 AM
renoduckman
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
how to increase mpg

Now that my truck is past the 5 year point and with the fuel thing i have been considereing the idea of changing the exhasut system and air filter system to try to gain a bit more mpg. I know these topics have been talked about alot. My slow vacume tube pc here makes it so hard to even search well! Any thoughts on an exhaust change to help with mpg on a stock truck? Unfortunatly i have to do smog checks here with a dyno test so i have to be some what carefull with what i do. I have been leaning toward the mod of the area filter that everyone is doing with the Napa filter. I only tow a 17 foot Whaler so towing power is not an issue. I did install a cat back system on my old Ranger years ago and have been happy with it. Thanks Joe

Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They do emmision test's on diesels in Nevada? If so, you may be limited to doing just the 6637 for now. One of the very first things I did with my truck was get rid of the cat, and then made sure I found a state to register it in that did not fool with diesels.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:45 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think your 2002 has a cat. This is the one I have, 409 SS. clicky here

Very easy install and I installed the muffler.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
One-ton diesels and above are exempt...that's one of the reasons I got an F350.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:29 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
If you want to increase your mpg w/o getting rid of all that emmisions junk, tape a chunk of 2x4 under your accelerator. How about a DP tuner, you can go with something like the 80economy setting, and when it comes time to get her smogged (which IMHO is retarded for light diesels) you just take it back to #1 stock setting.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
I'm sorry I didn't mention a tuner. Just about any performance chip will give you 3 to 4 mpg, but the DP is the Mercedes of the lot. With todays fuel prices, which by the way I see went up another 2 cents national average overnight, it will not take long for a DP to pay for itself.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like Danny says.. the best way to get more mpg is to keep the rpm under 2000. I really don't believe changing the exhaust you will gain much.. maybe get rid of the stock muffler and use straight thru type or none at all.. Also make sure all your turbo boots and connections are tight and no leaks..

Old 05-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
I really don't believe changing the exhaust you will gain much.. maybe get rid of the stock muffler and use straight thru type or none at all.. ..
I think it'll give you maybe 1mpg, but only if you combine a free exhause with a free intake like a 6637...to allow the truck to utilize it's fuel more efficiently. Not sure what he'll be able to get away with in Nevada if he has strict emissions requirements.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Heck, a fre flowing intake and exhaust is probably the first thing you should do to a diesel, and the cost to benefit ratio is pretty good. Of course a tuner is your best best, but then if you ever plan on keeping that go pedal planted for any length of time in a high setting, you'll need, again I'll say NEED gauges to keep from melting pistons. I would do int/ex first, then gauges, then tuner. Next thing you know you'll have full blown PMS!!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
Thanks for all the ideas. Yes we do have diesel smog checks here in Nevada, but only in Washoe and Clark counties. I guess they dont care about polution if you live out in the rest of the state! Yes i dont drive very fast so your point is well taken. I have it in my head that exhaust will help, i guess that might be a throwback to my muscle car days. Im going to look at the smog angle more. I hear people all around town that have chips and or exhaust changes so there is away around that. Im not sure if i have a cat or not, will check when im home. I think that as long as the cat is there its ok on the exhaust. I will ask the guys that i know that deal with that all the time. Chip sounds like a good idea too. I have allways been afraid of those for some reason? Let me know if you have any more ideas. Truck gets good mpg now, just looking at a little help. The main use of my truck is freeway driving going to and from my duck hunting spots with only some gear and dog with me. I never pull anyting heavy. Thanks Joe

Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
One-ton diesels and above are exempt...that's one of the reasons I got an F350.
How close do they look at this Neal? Could he simply rebadge his truck as a 350?

2002 models did have a Cat if they were CA trucks or came with a stick. What the stick has to do with a cat I have no idea.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:38 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
Truck

I actually had my truck built for me and it went to Utah. I do have the 6 speed. Now you really got me wondering about a cat or not? Will look as soon as i get home. But i bet getting rid of that muffler and putting in something that flows better will make a difference just by it self. Thanks Joe

Old 05-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by renoduckman
I actually had my truck built for me and it went to Utah. I do have the 6 speed. Now you really got me wondering about a cat or not? Will look as soon as i get home. But i bet getting rid of that muffler and putting in something that flows better will make a difference just by it self. Thanks Joe

What so you do with ducks? Give them to your kids for pets, or what?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
How close do they look at this Neal? Could he simply rebadge his truck as a 350?
Man that is funny ...throw F350 on the side and presto, exempt! No, they automatically send the folks who have to get inspected a notification based on their title. Renoduckman is correct about just Washoe and Clark county diesel vehicles, less than 10,000 GVCW require inspection. The rest of the state is so rural, the folks in those areas would have to drive long distances to get inspected and the ranchers (who originally controlled the state) made the laws to their advantage. One of the very few perks of living in rural Nevada...about everything else now screws rural Nevadans .

Renoduckman could register his truck in a rural county and then he would be exempt...I know lots of people with musclecars (who don't want to register them as street rods or historic vehicle because of limited yearly mileage allowance with those plates) who have their cars registered in the rural areas.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
mpg

Well my truck does have a cat in the exhaust system. It figures if there is any odd or detuned motor that year i probably got it? Well with the road salt and all i will have to replace at some point. Chip ideas sounds good, and intake also. I think new exhaust is ok if you have the cat in there. Thanks joe

Quick Reply: how to increase mpg