Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Question about hpop???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
suzuki_vinson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about hpop???

I have been doing some reading and I found this company called stealth pumps. Who make an aftermarket hpop. Can someone clear this up for me. This is the first diesel truck I have ever owned and I still dont understand alot. What exactly does your hpop do? And how does it affect your performance? Thanks

Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 PM
suzuki_vinson
Senior User
Anyone got some answers???

Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The injectors are run by a high pressure oil pump, which takes engine lube oil, and pressurizes it normally between 500psi at idle and 3000 at full bore, which acts as mechanical leverage to press on an "intensifier piston" inside the injector, which has about a 7:1 ratio, which in turn pressurizes the fuel to 7 times the oil pressure. Normally running 2500psi, your injection pressure is 7 times that. The problem with adding a chip or tuner is that it calls for more oil volume due to longer duration (injection pulsewidth) plus a higher pressure, all which push a stock pump to its limits, or beyond it. Stealth used to take two stock pumps and couple them together, so you double your oil volume, which means you get any desired PSI, which means better fuel atomization, lower EGTs due to this, plus more power. However, stealth is making their custom designed single pump which is equal to a dual pump system, but they are not the only ones who make "big oil" products.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:57 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
What is the limit of a 17* hpop? Mine unfortunately has the 15* and I want to upgrade to the later stock 17* hpop. At most I plan on stage 1's with a DP tuner.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Sounds lilke you'd do great on a newish 17* pump. Funny thing is that a single shot injector uses about 15-30% less oil i've heard, which means that less volume means more pressure. Try the injectors with your pump now, and see what kind of psi you can hold.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
The injectors are run by a high pressure oil pump, which takes engine lube oil, and pressurizes it normally between 500psi at idle and 3000 at full bore, which acts as mechanical leverage to press on an "intensifier piston" inside the injector, which has about a 7:1 ratio, which in turn pressurizes the fuel to 7 times the oil pressure. Normally running 2500psi, your injection pressure is 7 times that. The problem with adding a chip or tuner is that it calls for more oil volume due to longer duration (injection pulsewidth) plus a higher pressure, all which push a stock pump to its limits, or beyond it. Stealth used to take two stock pumps and couple them together, so you double your oil volume, which means you get any desired PSI, which means better fuel atomization, lower EGTs due to this, plus more power. However, stealth is making their custom designed single pump which is equal to a dual pump system, but they are not the only ones who make "big oil" products.
Great post Kris.....I will rep you when I can. I'm maxed out for tonight. I never really understood the HPOP either until I read this

Old 05-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Sounds lilke you'd do great on a newish 17* pump. Funny thing is that a single shot injector uses about 15-30% less oil i've heard, which means that less volume means more pressure. Try the injectors with your pump now, and see what kind of psi you can hold.
So Kris, look at my sig, can I just bolt in a 17* hpop and get better hp without changing injectors? Help me understand what a 17* hpop would do for my early 99. Thanks Dude!!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed/experienced just what Kris explained when I went to single shot injectors. First I installed the DiPricol HPOP gauge then the single shot injectors. After the single shot injectors were in the HPOP no longer had a problem with keeping up with the demand from my chip. On the stock split shot injectors the HPOP would spike up to about 3,000 then bleed off and set the SES light. Now with the single shot inj's the HPOP stays at 3,000. It does bleed off a small amount in my race setting but definitely not as quickly as it did prior to the single shots, and still no SES light.

Now, having said that. Not all stock HPOP's are equal. Some perform better than others but not all setups require big oil.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bird Dog
So Kris, look at my sig, can I just bolt in a 17* hpop and get better hp without changing injectors? Help me understand what a 17* hpop would do for my early 99. Thanks Dude!!
yes it will bolt right in..I'm going to be doing this soon..I have the pump..just waiting for a couple of other parts so I can do this all at once..the 17* pump flows oil at a higher PSI..you get better peddle response. and you get more power mid to full throttle...to make it work even better.. change the PCM to a 99.5 - 2001 PCM..there programmed to run a bigger turbo, injectors and HPOP....plus the Trans shift program is much better then the early bird...

Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 AM
suzuki_vinson
Senior User
So can if I buy the new stealth stage two pump. Will it still run right stock??? And should I get injectors???

Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
The stage two stealth is comprable in output to a dual pump system. I dont really see where two full pumps are needed unless you are running oil-side modified injectors (DI SHO's) but it is something you will probably never outgrow. The stage one is comparable to the pulse, or about 50% more than stock. Once you get the pumps, it will run alright in stock, but it's best to have the tuning updated to take advantage of the increased volume, and once you get that, the injector choices are basically endless. You would be wiping before you poop if you did do hybrids after big oil though.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:39 PM
King0581
Posting Guru
I'm interested in the stealth pump also. Which would be better the new single pump or the old dual pumps? Did you have to move the fuel bowl with the old setup? I'm gonna hafta do something soon, tired of my SES light coming on everytime I get on it with the programmer on! Are alot of people running the stealth? I've heard its cheaper than alot of other setups. I dont wanna hafta move my fuel bowl or do a delete.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
suzuki_vinson
Senior User
Ok. Im still learning but. If im shooting for 500 hp. I know im gonna need bigger injectors. I thought I would need the better hpop. What is my first step?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by suzuki_vinson
Ok. Im still learning but. If im shooting for 500 hp. I know im gonna need bigger injectors. I thought I would need the better hpop. What is my first step?
500 hp on these rigs is a little optimistic, you also probably have PMRs so 400 might be your limit anyway. It gets spendy to get out of the 300's on these things you will need HPOP, turbo, injectors, new forged metal rods. 500 HP would require head studs among other things.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
exactly what jhand124 said. You have PMR rods in your engine so you don't want to push it to far past 400 hp or you can blow a window in your block. I'm in the 350 hp range with swamps 175/146 single shots, van turbo, and the other mods listed in my sig. Mike (Tenn01psdF350) is running swamps 200cc hybrids with the Garrett BB turbo and right at the 400 hp mark.

You can go up to 500+, but you will need to put in the forged Rods, etc. Tony Wildman's truck is at 525 hp (which I believe is still for sale), and Luke Cline is at 600 hp. There are others that are doing it but those two come to mind right now.