1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fuse box location

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Max E
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse box location

I am getting ready to start my wiring. Where have you mounted you fuse box and why there??
Max E

Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
I plan on mounting the fusebox behind the seat, drivers side. Why? Plenty of airflow, out of the way..except, if I mount it high enough, when I fold the seat-back fwd..I can still make some checks easy enough. Instead of layin on my back!.
I don't know if you filled your cowl-vent or not in your 54...but you don't want it where it can get wet. My plan is to mount a piece of aluminum behind the seat to mount ECU, fuse-box and as many relays that may be required. I really don't want to climb over running boards an lay on my back to figure stuff out...But I could just be lazy too....

Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
What Mertz said. Plus, I will never be laying down w/ a shifter in my ribs trying toread upside down. As I add accessories, I just slide the seat all the way forward, tilt the seatback forward, and I have way lots of room to route wires and hook em up. I mounted mine upside down, so I can read the labels standing at side of seat. No bending over or twisting around for this old guy. LOL. More room for A/C hoses under dash too. American Autowire provides more than plenty of wire with their kit to put anyplace. Best choice I ever made on box placement. See my gallery for pics of dash harness too.It is plug/play w/ 4' so no bending over for that. It was bench wired and then plugged in w/ a QC while sitting in driver seat. I am 100% happy with the set up.
Jon

Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Bob at warsaw
Senior User
Max
Its all about EXCESS, make it easy

Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 PM
vbarker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jon,,, I was looking at the American Autowire for my 58. Glad to hear you like yours.
By the way, I still want to get with about DMV and registration. Vern

Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vbarker
Jon,,, I was looking at the American Autowire for my 58. Glad to hear you like yours.
By the way, I still want to get with about DMV and registration. Vern

Vern, No problem . Still have everything handy.
Jon

Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I made a swing down panel between the steering column and the parking brake handle. I am using an EZwire harness.. the wires that leave the cab go out thru a hole in the tranny hump..

Sam

Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,822 Likes on 1,829 Posts
I am using the EZ Wiring 21 circuit harness with the large fuse box. I had previously spent alot of time filling all the holes in my firewall and didn't want to drill any to mount the fuse block. I ended up making a bracket that bolts to my hanging pedal assy that holds the fuse block. The box is mounted just to the left of the sterring column.

I also mounted the fuse block upside down. I know, I know, this sounds a bit funny but it makes for a cleaner mounting. On the EZ Wiring fuse block the wire bundle comes out of the bottom of the box. I didn't want that hanging down were you could see it, so I mounted it upside down so that wire bundle comes out the top and is completely hidden behind the dash.

I feel its important for the fuse block to be accessible but on the other hand, how often are you really going to be messing around with it? Its not like you hav eto get down and make friends with it everytime you get in the truck....lol

Bobby

Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I selected the EZ Wire 21 with the mini box, it is smaller and has a snap in mount. Like Bobby I made a bracket to hang it on the side of my hanging pedal support. I can snap it off the bracket and drop it down should I need to service it.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by cmoritz
I plan on mounting the fusebox behind the seat, drivers side.
Originally Posted by CIAF
What Mertz said. Jon
Where did you guys run the wires to the front / dash? Most of the circuits are controlled from the dash and as I found on my sedan delivery (not quite finished) putting the wiring panel (pix) under the rear floor behind the seat (It is too big, but I have lots of room, I like it) required a lot of wires going forward. I ran mine under the floor carpet/mats but looks a little like a mouse under the rug.

[/IMG]fficeffice" /><O></O>

Old 05-06-2008, 08:06 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Ray, I forgot mention that. My wires are not really bundles per se. They are in a lay flat form and in a computer chase under the insulation. To make even lower, the insul can just be left out in a strip as wide as the plastic chase (1/4" tall x 1.5" wide conduit ) with a snap on cap. My bunch is not that big. They run from the left rear corner to the left front corner and up to the Ign switch. Others run up around the door and down through the pillar or across to the header for future need (OH console ?) And yet others run to the right to the batt, and across the door as well. Any grill wires go under the LF fender. There are no wires showing on the truck anywhere except spark plug wires.
Jon

Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Here's an underdash shot of my fuse block.
I made my own hanging pedal assy. I fabbed a bracket that came off of the same mounting bolts. The 2 lower bolts on the bracket go through the firewall and are use for mounting points of my brake proportioning valve and line-lock solenoid.

Bobby

Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I'm not sure if the pic worked. I'll try this again....

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Mine is just a plate that bolts to the side of the pedal support so the fuses face the side of the truck. Since I can pop the whole fuse block off the mount I didn't feel it was critical for the fuses to face the rear.
The traditional way to route the wires from front to back thru the cab is to lay them side by side next to the door sill or beside the tranny hump where they won't be walked on a lot, and hold them in place with a strip of duct tape. Running the carpet pad over them will give them enough protection and hide them. Jon's use of wire chase is good too.