Sponsored by:

Diesel Vs. Gas, Interesting numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:23 PM
squaredancer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Vs. Gas, Interesting numbers

The Sunday Business edition of the Orange County, Ca Register published the following interesting numbers on diesel vs. gasoline
1. Increase in fuel costs in Orange County in the last year
Diesel $1.33/gal, Reg. Gas $0.47/gal

2.Gallons of fuel sold in Ca.
1 Billion gals ,up 4.5% vs Reg. gas 15.7 Billion gals, down 1.0%

3.Refining costs
17.5 cents for $1.00 worth of diesel vs gasoline 8 cents

4.Federal excise tax

24 cents/gal on diesel vs. 18 cents/gal on gasoline

currently a gallon of diesel costs around $ 4.50/gal, that's about 63 cents more than a gallon of regular.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
well think about it as gas prices get higher folks slow down a little bit. but most diesel owners still HAVE to get the eggs to the grocery stores and they HAVE to get the wood to the job site diesel HAS to keep burning for america to survive!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alot more things use diesel then gas and those that do use diesel have to operate more often then gas. The figures you gave are assuming that diesel and gas are on even footing and they aren't(disregarding the price per gallon of the two).

Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Diesel is easier to produce than gasoline, I wish more diesel refineries would get built so the price would come down...

Old 05-08-2008, 01:21 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by squaredancer
The Sunday Business edition of the Orange County, Ca Register published the following interesting numbers on diesel vs. gasoline
1. Increase in fuel costs in Orange County in the last year
Diesel $1.33/gal, Reg. Gas $0.47/gal

2.Gallons of fuel sold in Ca.
1 Billion gals ,up 4.5% vs Reg. gas 15.7 Billion gals, down 1.0%

3.Refining costs
17.5 cents for $1.00 worth of diesel vs gasoline 8 cents

4.Federal excise tax

24 cents/gal on diesel vs. 18 cents/gal on gasoline

currently a gallon of diesel costs around $ 4.50/gal, that's about 63 cents more than a gallon of regular.
That is just pure caca. Diesel is just a sidecut off a distillation unit and then run through a desulfurization process. The only extra cost is the desulfurization, as everything starts out going through a distillation unit (crude unit).

mogas (motor gasoline) goes through a number of downstream units, including desulfurization, and extensive blending in the end.

The writer of that article either got it backwards, or got his/her notes screwed up on what constitutes "refining costs".

-Been there, made both of them....

Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 AM
walleyeman
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
That is just pure caca. Diesel is just a sidecut off a distillation unit and then run through a desulfurization process. The only extra cost is the desulfurization, as everything starts out going through a distillation unit (crude unit).

mogas (motor gasoline) goes through a number of downstream units, including desulfurization, and extensive blending in the end.

The writer of that article either got it backwards, or got his/her notes screwed up on what constitutes "refining costs".

-Been there, made both of them....

Not disagreeing with you, but even the EIA web site says that refining is a larger percentage of the overall cost of diesel. Here is a link...check the pump graphics on the right:
Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update

Old 05-08-2008, 09:37 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
You guys have me confused, I always thought that diesel is less refined but more in demand as heating oil up in the northern states,i dunno. I`d go have a beer and think on it awhile but I don`t have any cause all my money went to fuel,which I`m still not su,,,,,,,aw never mind

Hanklin

Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its easier to refine, but there are fewer refineries so they jack up the price.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:13 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by walleyeman
Not disagreeing with you, but even the EIA web site says that refining is a larger percentage of the overall cost of diesel. Here is a link...check the pump graphics on the right:
Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update
From your link to EIA (their definition of terms):

Refining Costs & Profits - the difference between the monthly average of the spot price of gasoline or diesel fuel (used as a proxy for the value of gasoline or diesel fuel as it exits the refinery) and the average price of crude oil purchased by refiners (the crude oil component).

It's far, far cheaper to actually make the stuff than gasoline. That's the actual refining "cost" IMHO. EIA's number is just delta between the crude cost and what they can sell diesel for, as I read it.

My point was how much the refinery expends in fuel, catalyst, equipment, manpower, etc. is so much more for a gallon of gas than it is for diesel, it's not even in the same ballpark.

Anyway, we need to make more, and nobody is building or adding capacity in the US right now, from what I've heard. They're planning on building capacity overseas and shipping it in -- oh that's gotta' be efficient... Grrr...

Old 05-08-2008, 05:52 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Anyway, we need to make more, and nobody is building or adding capacity in the US right now, from what I've heard. They're planning on building capacity overseas and shipping it in -- oh that's gotta' be efficient... Grrr...
The biggest reason for that is the special interest groups here and what they are able to get done. Although I don't see why everyone wants to maintain status quo as far as dependent on one fuel source, no matter where it comes from. Our electrical fuel source comes from multiple sources(and in the state that I am in only .7 percent of it comes from crude) and that is really want we need to do with our transportation fuel, thus eliminating the need for more refineries.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:51 PM
DR. DEE
Freshman User
Thats why I bought a 2008 V-10

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DR. DEE
Thats why I bought a 2008 V-10
Oh I have a good comeback for that one, but I don't want this thread to go in that direction.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tex25025
Oh I have a good comeback for that one, but I don't want this thread to go in that direction.
oh, you don't mean the "ya' wanna' race?" line, or the better: "ya' wanna' race hooked up?" line...?!

The price difference between gas and diesel has to widen far more to wipe the sh_t eatin' grin I have every time I drive my truck. Done the big gasser thang, and signed up as an oil burner lover, knowing the both of 'em...

Sorry for the

But HE STARTED IT!!! Neener, neener...

Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
oh, you don't mean the "ya' wanna' race?" line, or the better: "ya' wanna' race hooked up?" line...?!
Hey, I didn't even think of that, but it was more along the lines you couldn't hang with the true truckers so you had to settle for the v10. Sometimes you have to pay to have the best.

Quick Reply: Diesel Vs. Gas, Interesting numbers