General Automotive Discussion

Is anyone resorting to this? due to high gas prices.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:37 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Is anyone resorting to this? due to high gas prices.

I wonder if there will be more gasoline theft these days?

I park my truck out on the street since I do not drive it everyday, and the filler is on the street side which may make it easy for someone to steal my expensive gasoline.

I may buy one of these, is anyone thinking the same?

I just don't want to look paranoid when I ask the partsperson for this item.

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 PM
seadoo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i've put one on every car i've ever owned since i started driving in 83, not really sure why, just have

Old 05-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
Except a locking gas can can be removed without the key. All you need is to grab it with a pair of vice-grips and turn. I might have my F150 sold today. But my next vehicle, I'm going to make a shackle with padlock on the gas door, and a steel shield for the fuel tank. I already have lost one tank of gas to the fuel thieves.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:29 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only problem I have with them is that it might cause the determined fuel thief to punch a hole in the tank.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:37 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thats why I liked it when I had dual tanks, one never worked so had it full of junk old gas, sugar and water they only stole gas from me once.

My grandfather had a couple jeri cans on the back of his motorhome they kept taking the gas out of (always returned the cans though so he would refill them for the thieves.) So one day he filled them both with water, about 6am one morning the cops showed up beating on his door with 2 guys (ummm undocumented workers) claiming he had sabatoged their car and thats why it was broke down on the highway, cop asked him if he had so grandpa said well no he hadn't put water in their tank but he did in fact keep a couple 5 gallon cans of water on the back of his motor home for emergancies. He said the last he saw of those guys when the deputy turned around and repeated what he said in spanish was the dust as they both cleared the fence of the camp ground.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:50 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I put a key lock on the gas lid of my '04 Ranger.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:24 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
My truck had one on there when I bought it, so I've just left it there. But like others have said, they are really easy to pry off. It's a lose-lose situation. If they want your gas, they'll get it. I even had someone nip my fuel line once. People like that need to get a job.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Keepin It Real
Elder User
Not about gas, but this reminds me of something that happened years ago when I was in high school. Some of you may remember that fender skirts were popular back in the day. Thieves liked 'em, too. To remove them you had to reach up behind 'em and pull down on a handle that secured 'em on. One night coming out of the pool hall, we saw a few guys crowded around a car with skirts. Went over and there on the ground by one of the back tires was a bunch of blood and a few finger tips. Seems the owner of the car got tired of having his skirts ripped off and lined the handle with razor blades. True story.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:19 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Bait cans are a sweet idea.
I'll have to scrounge one and let it get stolen. It would be a good place to dump old clear paint, paint stripper, etc.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:52 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Could this be used if catching a thief red handed?

I may look into installing a cabinet type locking device on my tank door instead.

I just put together a couple of office cabinets today with this type of lock.
I never thought about using one on my trucks. I'll keep you guys posted on the install.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:36 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Bait cans are good, but, you have to bait with a gasoline mixture so it still smells like gas. I would imagine a gas, diesel, water mix would just about kill any gas engine and require dumping the tank.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:14 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Originally Posted by rebocardo
Bait cans are good, but, you have to bait with a gasoline mixture so it still smells like gas. I would imagine a gas, diesel, water mix would just about kill any gas engine and require dumping the tank.
Make sure you label it too, so you don't dump it in your own truck.

I would hate for a family member or friend to accidentally put it in your car.
That would suck.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Keepin It Real
Seems the owner of the car got tired of having his skirts ripped off and lined the handle with razor blades. True story.
Unfortunately the Supreme Court ruled a long time ago that booby-trapping is illegal. Nowadays if you booby trap it and a thief loses his finger, believe it or not you could face criminal charges and possibly a civil suit. If they die... manslaughter.

Booby Traps Law & Legal Definition

I learned this in basic civics back in the early 1980s in High School, so the law is at least that old. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't taught in school these days. Don't ever consider this option for home, car, etc.... its just asking to go to jail.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:33 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Add 1 gallon boiled linseed oil to 4 gallons of gas, shake well

They can't smell the difference. It burns just fine! Until they shut it off and cool it down........................Now they can't turn it over with a 20' cheater bar

I still keep a cheap plastic 5 gallon can of this mixture next to my shop. It's disappeared twice in the last 10 years................

Old 05-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Keepin It Real
Elder User
I want to be clear that it wasn't me I was talking about. I don't think I could have done something like that, even as depraved as I was then.