Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dieselsite Coolant filter install??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink Dieselsite Coolant filter install??

I've just installed the Dieselsite 203* T-stat, billet housing, and coolant bypass filter. on my late '99 F350 7.3
I also installed the longer upper radiator hose-the one that goes around the belt-ment for dual alternator trucks.
Now the hose is being crushed by the filter element itself pretty good, I don't like this fit at all, anyone have any suggestions?? I also just Emailed Bob @ Dieselsite. Thanks!!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you mount it on the airbox?

I just used a piece of angle and mounted it to the alternator bracket, but that's mostly because I have no airbox

Old 04-23-2008, 07:19 PM
cvdenson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
I've just installed the Dieselsite 203* T-stat, billet housing, and coolant bypass filter. on my late '99 F350 7.3
I also installed the longer upper radiator hose-the one that goes around the belt-ment for dual alternator trucks.
Now the hose is being crushed by the filter element itself pretty good, I don't like this fit at all, anyone have any suggestions?? I also just Emailed Bob @ Dieselsite. Thanks!!

Yep I have the same issue. Although I'm not too concerned about it. I did mine about 2 weeks ago. I do like Cookie's setup.

Chris

Old 04-23-2008, 07:27 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Mine is a little bit up against the hose. I assume that you mounted it on the radiator support. It's been like that for 3 months now and I haven't had a problem yet. Coming up on my first filter change here soon.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

It doesn't look as if it will cause a problem in the shoet run, but I do know this if I had been told that the filter would hit the upper hose (the long one) I would have gotten the shorter hose again like my truck had from the factory!!
at this point I would call it a poor design unless Bob responds and tells me how to fix it!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
unless Bob responds and tells me how to fix it!
I've never known him not to. Bob is one of the guys on my short list of vendors I personally endorse.....not that it means anything to anyone other than myself

Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have the same bracket I got from him. Yeah, it touches the hose, but it doesn't rub on the hose since they both mount to the radiator/support.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

The way mine sets the actual filter cartidge itself is well aganst the hose, causing the hose to be somewhat flat in this area, BTW mine is a quality Gates hose! I guess we'll have to wait on Bob!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:30 AM
cedman
Senior User
My hose touches the filter also and the hose is slightly flattened but the flattening is due more to the angle that the hose has to take to mate up with the radiator. I first noticed this after installing the hose and then installing the filter. In other words, my filter doesn't cause the hose to flatten. I don't think it's enough to cause coolant flow problems.
CedricR.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

I just received a reply from Bob saying to move the radiator towards the passengers side a little.
I replied and told him this was completely unacceptable for me to move the radiator just to accomodate his aftermarket filter setup.
I also told him that if this fact were made known before I purchased the filter that I most likely would not have purchased it.
I also told him that short of returning the filter setup that I guessed I'd just go back with the shorter upper radiator hose.
I also told him that I wasn't real happy. (sorry)

Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 AM
cvdenson
Senior User
I don't see how you could move the radiator towards the passenger side a little. It looks like the upper radiator hose would touch the serpentine belt if you moved the radiator just a little. As you see, a lot of us are running the same setup as you and have not experienced any problems. The only good solution I see is for you to switch back to the OEM hose that runs thru the belt if it bothers you that much.

Chris

Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 AM
pullinair
Elder User
Cut a piece of old garden hose or equivelent and wrap both hoses. Problem solved.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

It does bother me very much to see my radiator hose being shoved so close to the new filter that it partially colapses it, so I am going to get the original style hose for the single alternator and be done with it!

Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

OK, Now I've got the Gates hose made for use with dual alternators (the one that goes around the serpentine belt) that I bought months ago and just got to doing my cooling system service and adding the coolant bypass filter as well, since I am getting the shorter hose that goes through the belt from my supplier tommorow I will have the longer hose to sell to anyone that would like it just please pm me.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:20 PM
pullinair
Elder User
Before you go through changing out hoses. What if you were to widen the holes on the coolant filter bracket that the bolts go through going on the radiator support arm. Then slightly pivot the braket away from the upper water pump hose. Tighten with bigger washers and you are done. No coolant mess. Seems simpler to me. Sorry about your misfortune. I have bought this kit from bob and have a slight rub but definately no kinking. You are doing the right thing by trying to fix it. It is just easier in my opinion to open up the holes or redrill new ones on the hunk of aluminum bracket then changing hoses around. Jus tsit it on there without bolting anything down, then mark your new holes.

Quick Reply: Dieselsite Coolant filter install??