1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 Progress!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 AM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'51 Progress!!

Hi, all...a few pics. Motor and tranny are done, wire-wheeling the frame for "Chassis Saver" paint. Won't be long now, I hope!! After chassis painted, on to the brakes...

Oh yeah, can't decide if I want to put the truck oilpan on, or leave this one - it's from a '51 car. I don't have the gaskets...guess I can get some, but my NAPA doesn't show them...anyway, thought I'd share.

R

Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 AM
Aussie 53
Tuned
rcav8or I like your flat head, looks pretty neat I bet you can't wait to fire it up. What's the eskie for, nice cold beverages whist building the truck.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:20 AM
rcav8or
Originally Posted by Aussie 53
rcav8or I like your flat head, looks pretty neat I bet you can't wait to fire it up. What's the eskie for, nice cold beverages whist building the truck.
Actually, I went on a trip, and kept Pepsi's in there, and brought them in to the shop when I got back, just hasn't made it back to the house, yet. I have a refrigerator in the shop, as well as a bathroom with - get this - a urinal! I'm pretty pleased with my shop...here's a link to it, whilst I was building it (man, I love that word, whilst!!)...

My Shop during Build

If you click on the link in my signature, you can see some of the inside, in a pic or two.

R

Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Aussie 53
Tuned
Pretty neat shop, did you build it yourself. I wish I had a shop like that so I can spend more time building my pickup. Since my truck is at a friends panel shop, I only visit it maybe once or twice a week.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 AM
rcav8or
Aussie - yes, I built it. I had the outside built, and the concrete poured, but everything else is me. Long, tedious process, still making improvements. It's 28' X 40' (don't know the metric...) and I bought the lot right across the street from me in town. What's nice is that it faces my house, but the other side is the "main drag" in town, and the lot is zoned for general business. So I can do pretty much whatever I want, without worrying about the neighbors complaining. Plus, it's 50 steps away! I'm over there daily, and try to get at least ONE thing done everyday, even if it's minor. Some day's it's a lot, some day's it's a little, but at least it's something! But, it's one of the best things I've ever done!

Yes, I'm very anxious to hear the flathead running. My original plan was to just put it in the truck, and drive it. But then, I decided to go through the tranny, and it looked so good, I had to do the engine. Well, then the engine bay and frame looked so bad, that I decided to do that as well...Now, even though I was committed to NOT pulling the cab, I can see it's only a dozen or so bolts, so I am contemplating that, as well...it's all a question of "where do I stop, and just get it together??". Pulling the cab will be a tough decision - it's still only ever going to be an F2, pretty much stock, so is it worth the effort? I really tend to think it's not, it will be a very nice F2 without pulling the cab, and doing everything that goes along with that - stripping, metal replacement, etc, etc. It's really in good shape already, with some "hidden" stuff. I will probably just leave it hidden!

Thanks,

R

Old 04-22-2008, 12:21 PM
MCarlson
Senior User
Mine cab was only 6 bolts, and two of them broke off easily! Love the look of your flathead. Those really are nice motors. If the spousal unit is happy with the way the truck ends up I hope to get one and something to put it in next.
Mike

Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 PM
rcav8or
Originally Posted by MCarlson
Mine cab was only 6 bolts, and two of them broke off easily! Love the look of your flathead. Those really are nice motors. If the spousal unit is happy with the way the truck ends up I hope to get one and something to put it in next.
Mike
Hey, it's getting so wife's are easier to find, than old trucks!! (kidding honey - ouch - I didn't mean it - ouch!)

I was counting the steering column, and a few other things before I can pull the cab, if I decide to. Just can't bring myself to "commit" to that. I'll get the box off, first...

You look like you have a really decent start! Just the rear fenders are worth their weight in silver (was gold, until the recent gold boom!). What are you planning to put in it? You can still put a flatty in yours...I was looking for a 302/351 donor for mine, when I decided to go with the flathead. I found this one, rebuilt, out of a car, for $1200. That's a really good deal, but that's what I was planning on spending for a donor truck. And I know I'll be a LOT happier with the flatty - I'm rather a stock kind of guy. If it was an F1, then I would be tempted to go all out, but this will be my "putter" truck...

R

Old 04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
MCarlson
Senior User
I have a 302 on the stand right now. I really want a 250 straight six but all the u-pull its around here just look at me funny and say "Cxxxy?" It takes a couple minutes to explain that Ford them also. Either way it's getting an AOD behind it. I finally pulled the 9" out the 78 cougar I had. It's 64" from outside to outside, the F3 is 62.5". that shouldn't be a problem. I just have to cut off the 4 link crap and have spring perches welded on. I haven't measured yet to see if I can keep the shock mounts on it or not. That would be a definite bonus.
I had forgotten about the steering wheel. None of the so-called pitarm arm pullers would fit. I had to buy a 3 jaw puller.
Mike

Old 04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
rcav8or
Mike - how hard was the pitman arm with the 3 jaw puller? Took me forever, with heat, and 3 pry bars on my daughter's jeep. Don't want to go through that again, might be the determining factor on the truck...

The 9" shouldn't be a problem at all...seems there's quite a bit of room, inside the fenders. It would only by 3/4"-1" difference per side...

Had you looked at the 300 sixes? Seem to be a lot of them around...you're actually better off fuel-wise with the 302 over the 250...here's a blurb:

For 1969, Ford increased block deck height by approximately 2 inches and stroke by 0.784 inch to get 250 ci from the hardy Ford six. Although Ford had fuel economy and improved torque in mind for this engine, it didn't achieve fuel economy. A 302ci small-block V-8 gets better fuel economy than the 250.
I like the 300 a lot, and was looking for one, when I decided on the flathead.

R

Old 04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Roger,

Wow!!! Looking good! Glad to hear that you are making progress (especially forward progress)

Bobby

Old 04-22-2008, 03:52 PM
rcav8or
Thanks, Bobby - but things just changed - check my other "new" post...

R

Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The motor looks cool but I think you need some more tool boxes.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:45 PM
rcav8or
Check the other wall.....

Actually, I could never afford one BIG box, so kept adding to the little boxes. Someday, maybe. I like tools. Lot's of tools. Lot's of tools means lot's of boxes.

R

Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 AM
rcav8or
Well, even MORE progress...as I posted in another post, mama came home, told me if I wanted to pull the cab, and do it right, then by all means, DO it!! So, I spent the rest of today pulling the rest of the wiring, taking off the column/pittman arm, and taking out all the bolts holding the cab in place. So, it's ready to lift. I'm going to do my best to pull it (alone) tomorrow, without damaging it or myself. What do you guys think about the color of this truck?

I rather like it - the actual photo, the truck is red instead of gray, but I photoshopped it. Respects to the original truck's owner...

R

Old 04-23-2008, 07:19 AM
MCarlson
Senior User
Roger,
Seems like you got the pitman off alright before I could reply. The problem I had with the regular pitman arms was that the 'arms' of the puller wouldn't fit between the pitman arm and the frame. the 3 jaw puller I picked up had skinnier hooks on it, so it only took about a minute. Nice loud pop.
We had four of us pick up my cab when I pulled it, no problem. I have on old generator chassis that I put it on. Basically it's an 8 ft by 5 ft wagon. gov't didn't need it anymore.
I had never heard about the 250s not getting decent mileage. I wasn't sure about the big sixes, 240/300 because they weigh more than a 302. I'll keep looking into it. I don't need a lot of power. It'll be my daily driver. I've always loved the straight sixes with their seven main bearings. Last forever if you do your part.
tool box hint- search around for old lista bins and stanley vidmars. Heavy duty cabinets used for holding bench stock and spare bolts and such. Used, they're not to expensive and you'd have to go really high-end on an actual tool box that will hold as much.
Mike
Love the picture of that truck. I'm hoping for a dark burgundy for the fenders/front/running boards and some kind of cream color for the cab/bedsides/hood. I'd love to have it lettered on the doors also, just have to think of something to put on there.

Quick Reply: '51 Progress!!