Sponsored by: DP Tuner

starter help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:08 PM
96f-150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starter help

2002 F-250 7.3 powerstroke 4x4 automatic.

When i hit the key it just spins the starter but don't engage the flywheel. That is the starter right? can i just replace the solenoid or does the whole starter need to be replaced?

When i had my F-150 i went through a couple advance auto starters in a one year span. Finally i bought a napa starter and never had a problem after. Should i wait till monday to get a napa starter or will a advance auto be ok?

I changed a starter on an old cheby diesel once and we had to pull the exhaust to get it out. What am i looking at on this one since i can't get it in the barn and will have to do it in the driveway. Any tips or tricks from the experts?

Thanks in advance for the help this place is the best info on the net and has saved me several hours and $$$$ in the past.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I cannot answer all your questions but there is another thread going that talks about the starter having loose bolts. Could be that your bolts are loose enough that the starter will not engage. I do believe it will come out without removing other parts. Best of luck

Old 04-12-2008, 05:59 PM
96f-150
Junior User
just found this while searching. Sorry i know im suppose to do that first but im stranded so i wanted to get the post out there incase i couldn't find one with the same problems.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...g-starter.html

Is the DB starter the way to go? If so ill order it and have it overnighted.

P.S. my batteries are brand new.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I learned the hard way. Do not fool with a rebuilt. Buy a lifetime new one. Even at my age it only took me about an hour doing it out in the street. The solenoid mounted on the starter can be replaced, but real hard to find. In fact even though I knew that was all that I needed I could not figure out how to get it off and could not find one anywhere in Charlotte. So sprung for the new one, less than 200 bucks and replaced the rebuilt that I had put in just a year earlier for a little bit less than the price of a new one. Locktite on the bolts is a good idea.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:14 PM
dryfly
Elder User
seems like its starter season.Yes your Bendix can spin without kicking out.That would be a bad solenoid.I do believe they are replaceable,but don't quote me on this.I just bought a new high torque starter from grand rebuilders.They are out in Cali.I'm in new York,I had it in three days I think.Cost with shipping was $149.If you go the high torque route you will most likely have to shave a 1/4" of the Cross member.only about 3'' long.I used a sawzall.Was very easy.This is because the High torques are huge.But what a difference when turning over.Here is their link if you are interested.You can call them and talk on the phone also.Just type powerstroke in the search are of their e-bay web site.Or as I said just call.

eBay Store - ALTERNATOR STARTER AUTO PARTS: ALTERNATOR, STARTER, ACURA

Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's like a 6.9 starter, you need a 6" extension and a deepwell socket for the top bolt. That combination worked well on the 6.9 I had, perfect reach! I spent a while finding that out...

(That upper bolt sux!!!)

Old 04-12-2008, 06:18 PM
dryfly
Elder User
Yep that is the combo that works best.^^^

Old 04-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Aren't "INTERNATIONAL ENGINES" lovely....

Old 04-12-2008, 07:14 PM
lhud
Elder User
Hey 96f-150,
I replaced my original starter with that NAPA NEW starter with liftetime warranty. However, the ignition terminal shorted out and blew my starter fuse. Due to the time frame, etc., NAPA did not have a replacement for the new starter, so I had to settle for their rebuilt unit to get me going.
This worked out fine, because it gave me time to order a new (not rebuilt) hi-torque ND starter from DB Electrical and keep the rebuilt for a backup.
I installed the new starter and does it ever turn over the 7.3 engine. I have a 2002 as you do. The forward end of the starter is close to the cross member, but does barely clear it. Their starter has 13 teeth which helps turn the engine over faster and will fit either the two or three bolt setup.
The cost was $138 +/-, plus $15 S&H. There is no tax if you live outside TN. I got mine in two or three days. The ignition and battery terminals are solid.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Ya gotta have a high torque starter for that.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:33 PM
99whiteford
Senior User
Originally Posted by Markadeck
I learned the hard way. Do not fool with a rebuilt. Buy a lifetime new one. Even at my age it only took me about an hour doing it out in the street. The solenoid mounted on the starter can be replaced, but real hard to find. In fact even though I knew that was all that I needed I could not figure out how to get it off and could not find one anywhere in Charlotte. So sprung for the new one, less than 200 bucks and replaced the rebuilt that I had put in just a year earlier for a little bit less than the price of a new one. Locktite on the bolts is a good idea.

Dont know where you are getting your rebuilds.but you are dead wrong.I'm in the rebuild business and will put my rebuilt units up against anything you can buy at an autoparts store anytime.
People go to discount auto parts and buy a cheap rebuild and then b$%@^h when it quits.I have been in this business for 20+ years and have had my rebuilt units actually last longer than the originals.
As for the lifetime warranty,its not your lifetime or the trucks lifetime.its the starters If it last six months and quits they will replace it once and then your done. if replacement last 30 days and quits your out of luck.I have had several come into my business and tell me this had happened to them

96f-150 A solenoid WILL NOT cure your problem.thats the one good part you have.you have a bad starter bendix.
You will need a 6 inch extension and a 13 metric socket to get starter off.the small wire on solenoid is a 5/16 and the battery cable should be a 15 metric

Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by 99whiteford
Dont know where you are getting your rebuilds.but you are dead wrong.I'm in the rebuild business and will put my rebuilt units up against anything you can buy at an autoparts store anytime.
People go to discount auto parts and buy a cheap rebuild and then b$%@^h when it quits.I have been in this business for 20+ years and have had my rebuilt units actually last longer than the originals.
As for the lifetime warranty,its not your lifetime or the trucks lifetime.its the starters If it last six months and quits they will replace it once and then your done. if replacement last 30 days and quits your out of luck.I have had several come into my business and tell me this had happened to them

96f-150 A solenoid WILL NOT cure your problem.thats the one good part you have.you have a bad starter bendix.
You will need a 6 inch extension and a 13 metric socket to get starter off.the small wire on solenoid is a 5/16 and the battery cable should be a 15 metric
I bought the rebuilt at a chain store in Fairbanks. When it quit they told me I had to return it to one of their stores. They're on the West Coast only so I was SOL. It may not have been the fact that it was a rebuilt that pissed me off, it may have been that the truck was more or less in the middle of the street and needed a starter RIGHT NOW I had no transportation so I had to have one delivered. By the time it arrived I had the old one out so did not have to worry about the $175.00 core charge.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I expect most of the time it's the bushings for the starter shaft that are destroyed. This allows the armature contacts to be scraped.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:54 PM
99whiteford
Senior User
Markadec.I can understand your situation.And hope I didnt sound like I was flying off the handle.they are some cut rate rebuilders out there that just throw there stuff together and it gives all rebuilder a bad rap.My business is small and depends on repeat customers(hopefully not for the same unit LOL) so I must go the extra mile for my customers.units are no better than the person who put them together.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:20 AM
lhud
Elder User
Hey, after the search for a starter built in the U.S.A. I found that most (maybe 98%) of the NEW starters are built in China. However, many of the rebuilt starters are reworked here in the U.S. so I can see how some of the rebuilt starters last longer or if you go to a Starter/Alternator repair shop, the rework will likely last longer, also.